Author Topic: The Tick  (Read 2685 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
The Tick
« on: August 20, 2016, 02:33:01 AM »
SPOOOOON!

Amazon made the pilot episode of The Tick available today along with I Love Dick and Jean-Claude Van Johnson.  I've been waiting so impatiently for this one.  The Tick is the only comic book series I've really collected.  And I'm happy to say I'm a card carrying member of the Mystic Order of Arachnid Vigilance.

The pilot has so many wonderful nods to the comic books and the animated series.  The tone is perfect.  The laughter started with reindeer on fire and carried all the way through to the credits.

Peter Serafinowicz brings The Tick's unbridled enthusiasm for justice and embracing destiny roaring to life.  Newman does an equally fantastic job of capturing Arthur's neuroses (and they wrote a great story hook in for it, too.)  Frankly, I think every TV show would do well casting Jackie Earl Haley as a villain, and they made a wise decision to cast him as the Terror.  Even Dot (Valorie Curry) is perfectly captured in the short period she's on screen.  And they got some really good guest appearances in there, too.

I'm really happy to see that Patrick Warburton is involved even though he's not acting in it (yet, anyway) since he's been enthusiastic about seeing the character get back on TV even since Fox cancelled the last live-action incarnation.  I'm also really happy to see former roommates Ben Edlund and Chris McCulloch (aka Jackson Publick) doing more work together.

I can't wait to see the rest of the season.

Ferventer Vestite.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: The Tick
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 05:29:48 AM »
Something else to look forward to when I renew Prime next month.  (Was already going to for The Grand Tour.)  Didn't know this was in the cards!
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 03:47:25 PM »
Mrf.  I keep hearing it's good, but I can't figure out how to view it in France.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 10:30:47 PM »
It was awesome.  The first episode right out of the gate was already better than some of the animated eps and much better than all the other live version episodes.  If you watch it then make sure you rate it and also take the quiz thing because those are what makes Amazon decide if they are going to keep the series or dump it.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 03:29:21 AM »
I liked it, seems promising.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 05:39:41 AM »
Really liked the first season, funny and perfect length. Hopefully season 2 will keep it up.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 05:54:10 AM »
I thought it was a bit short.  But while I usually abhor cliffhangers, they made it hilarious and I forgave it.

The prior live action effort was longer, and Warburton delivered Tick lines better, but the new series has done a much better job of delivering an appropriately goofy and superheroic story.  But now we need a second season for the story to payoff.  That's the problem with cliffhangers.  It'll really suck if it gets cancelled.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 01:43:40 PM »
I thought it was a bit short.  But while I usually abhor cliffhangers, they made it hilarious and I forgave it.

The prior live action effort was longer, and Warburton delivered Tick lines better, but the new series has done a much better job of delivering an appropriately goofy and superheroic story.  But now we need a second season for the story to payoff.  That's the problem with cliffhangers.  It'll really suck if it gets cancelled.

The full season will be more than 6 episodes.  They are releasing the season in stages to deter binge watching.   :o

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »
The full season will be more than 6 episodes.  They are releasing the season in stages to deter binge watching.   :o

Madness!  Who does that?!
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 10:01:03 PM »
prolly don't want anyone grabbing the free prime month and being able to see it all.

themichigami

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 07:03:05 AM »
Mrf.  I keep hearing it's good, but I can't figure out how to view it in France.

arrrr matey, I hear the internet solves all such woes... not that I encourage or endorse such things, if you know what I mean. ;)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 05:50:24 AM »
Part 2 of season 1 is up.  It's really hit its stride.  The action... the comedy... the zaniness... the thickening of the plot... the spoon...

Still haven't quite finished it, so I can't say how satisfying the end may or may not be, but it's been a fun ride so far.  The only character I don't really like is Arthur's sister Dot.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »
Part 2 of season 1 is up.  It's really hit its stride.  The action... the comedy... the zaniness... the thickening of the plot... the spoon...
notinthefacenotinthefacenotintheface

I started my binge at 12:00 AM on Friday.  :)

I don't know how I missed it the first time around, but I noticed this time that Townsend Coleman is the voice of Midnight.  (He was the voice of The Tick in the animated series.)  I do so love the casting in this series.  :D

I think Arthur's dad is becoming one of my favorite new characters.

"He's not my dad." - Arthur
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
Still haven't seen it and may never see it.  I have Prime but only as a guest so I just get the free shipping.  I really want to buy the series but you can't buy it.  It's the same with Man in the High Castle.  I just can't comprehend the reasoning behind refusing to sell your shows to people who want to buy them.  All the other vendors who create original series sell them on multiple platforms.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »
Still haven't seen it and may never see it.  I have Prime but only as a guest so I just get the free shipping.  I really want to buy the series but you can't buy it.  It's the same with Man in the High Castle.  I just can't comprehend the reasoning behind refusing to sell your shows to people who want to buy them.  All the other vendors who create original series sell them on multiple platforms.

Talk like that will earn you a visit from the prime compliance drones