Author Topic: Justice League Trailer  (Read 5800 times)

Mandu

• Elite Boss
Justice League Trailer
« on: July 23, 2016, 11:05:05 PM »
Definitely a big step in the right direction for DC.  Somebody understands that dark and gritty doesn't mean that it exists in a world where the concept of humor doesn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gglkYMGRYlE

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Justice League Trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 06:00:12 AM »
I liked that the Flash no longer looked like a hobo.  And the character dialogues were fun.  And I like Aquaman except for one glaring aesthetic issue that, as I recall, is also kinda tied to his backstory.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:18:33 AM »
I like that Aquaman's a hero for a small village but presumably a super-villain for marine life.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »
As often as marine life gets used as expendable slave labor/soldiers by him, that's a pretty apt description.  He's like Doctor Doom of the fishies.  He loves and protects his subjects... by sacrificing them to his every cause.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 08:35:50 PM »
I think the trailer looked interesting, but I have to admit that I'm having difficulty shaking the cognitive dissonance of Batman being the team builder.  That's just not the Batman I know, although to be fair the Batman in the current comics is not the Batman I know either.  I think its worth keeping an open mind.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 08:52:47 PM »
Looks better than the mess that was BvS

So far...

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 08:56:05 PM »
Didn't Batman put together one iteration of the Outsiders?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 09:32:45 PM »
Yes, when he got pissed off at the Justice League for not wanting him to intervene in other countries. And he left them to their own devices like two seconds later.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 01:24:41 PM »
Theory: Since they're shooting Justice League now, are the trailer's more light hearted moments essentially a test screening to see how audience react so that they can shape the movie to suit what their consumers want? 

One of the criticisms of MoS and BvS was the unrelenting grim and gritty feel.  A SDCC trailer is a relatively cheap way to do some market research while shooting the movie.  If the fans dig it, they can incorporate it into the movie.  If not, they can try something else. 

I hope that the positive response they seem to be getting for the trailer encourages them to lighten up parts of the movie.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 05:04:03 PM »
I think the trailer looked interesting, but I have to admit that I'm having difficulty shaking the cognitive dissonance of Batman being the team builder. 

Agree one-hunnerd percent.  If memory serves, J'onn J'onzz was one of the founding members.  Going by the evidence seen in B v S J'onn won't be a part of the Justice League in the upcoming movie.  I couldn't care less about seeing the Cyborg in J'onn's rightful place.  In reference to an earlier comment, a little comedy relief could have been added to the movie by including Blue Beetle and Booster Gold in the lineup.  ("We stole J'onn's cookies!!") 

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 05:56:58 PM »
And yet they were in the comics for years without providing either comedy or relief.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 07:44:47 PM »
Theory: Since they're shooting Justice League now, are the trailer's more light hearted moments essentially a test screening to see how audience react so that they can shape the movie to suit what their consumers want? 

One of the criticisms of MoS and BvS was the unrelenting grim and gritty feel.  A SDCC trailer is a relatively cheap way to do some market research while shooting the movie.  If the fans dig it, they can incorporate it into the movie.  If not, they can try something else. 

I hope that the positive response they seem to be getting for the trailer encourages them to lighten up parts of the movie.

Oh I'm absolutely certain that is part of the thinking.  But I think it was a little too forced in the trailer.  Particularly the scene at the end after the logo "I hear you talk to fish" just seems odd.  I'm not saying that scene won't work in context: that entire scene with Aquaman at the start of the trailer was the coolest part of the package.  But it seemed like they were trying too hard to make the trailer have an off-kilter humor, and that aspect of it didn't work for me.  The scene with Barry was almost uncomfortable.  Again: in context I suspect that it works because by that point in the movie we've heard Batman deliver his recruitment speech multiple times, so this would play off of that.  It kinda plays on expectations like the Wolverine cameo in First Class.  But in the trailer itself, out of context it didn't have either dramatic or light-hearted punch to me.

It kinda felt like they didn't have the right stuff to show at Comicon, but felt they had to show something.  Which smacks a bit of desperation, because if they didn't have the right stuff for a powerful trailer they could have just done a teaser.  Marvel does that all the time.

One of the most interesting thoughts I had rewatching the trailer was that there was no hint or mention of
Spoiler for Batman v Superman:
the death of Superman
I would have thought that would at least feature in some fashion in the Justice League movie.  You can't just walk away from that if you're going to (obviously) revisit it later.  But maybe they don't want to spoil that either this early, or maybe that's something they didn't want to touch on in this early trailer.  But I think I would have, at least a tiny bit.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 08:02:30 PM »
There's an outside possibility there's something on that in Suicide Squad. But
Spoiler for Hidden:
I'm guessing they just assume no one thinks he's really dead.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 08:43:06 PM »
There's an outside possibility there's something on that in Suicide Squad. But
Spoiler for Hidden:
I'm guessing they just assume no one thinks he's really dead.

Seeing as how he's on the first movie poster... I'd say they're not even trying to pretend it's lasting:

http://insidepulse.com/2016/07/25/sdcc-2016-first-look-at-new-justice-league-movie-cast-poster-from-dc-comics-dc-entertainment/

EGAD!  That Flash costume is HORRID!!!!!!!   Way to take one of the simplest, most effective costumes ever created and F'it up guys.  Sheesh!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 09:38:05 PM »
You'd think they could have gotten the cast to pose together, or at least have gotten someone good with Photoshop to put it together.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 10:47:13 PM »
EGAD!  That Flash costume is HORRID!!!!!!!   Way to take one of the simplest, most effective costumes ever created and F'it up guys.  Sheesh!

Not crazy about it either.  Also not feeling it with Cyborg, although it might be that in the case of Cyborg you have to see it in action.

I do like the looks of the others.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 05:27:58 AM »
The only thing that particularly bothers me about the Flash costume is too much contrast between the reds.  I've come to accept that movie costumes will get made to appear more "realistic/functional" at some cost to aesthetics.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 07:48:44 AM »
Agree one-hunnerd percent.  If memory serves, J'onn J'onzz was one of the founding members.  Going by the evidence seen in B v S J'onn won't be a part of the Justice League in the upcoming movie.  I couldn't care less about seeing the Cyborg in J'onn's rightful place.

The only thing that particularly bothers me about the Flash costume is too much contrast between the reds.  I've come to accept that movie costumes will get made to appear more "realistic/functional" at some cost to aesthetics.

I believe the reason for these two items is they're drawing from the New 52 version of things. Which is unfortunate cause the New 52 was garbage, but that doesn't mean the movie will suck.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 12:59:24 PM »
I believe the reason for these two items is they're drawing from the New 52 version of things. Which is unfortunate cause the New 52 was garbage, but that doesn't mean the movie will suck.

Of course they are.  They were all in on that, and have done everything they can to force it down the reader's throats.  But, we'vve seen in the sales charts exactly what the readers thought of that.

The big suck about the New 52 is two-fold.  The new costumes suck ass, up and down the line.  The person who designed them (Jim Lee) should be fired, not promoted. and they seem to have forgotten that readers enjoy reading about *likable* characters.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
Of course they are.  They were all in on that, and have done everything they can to force it down the reader's throats.  But, we'vve seen in the sales charts exactly what the readers thought of that.

The big suck about the New 52 is two-fold.  The new costumes suck ass, up and down the line.  The person who designed them (Jim Lee) should be fired, not promoted. and they seem to have forgotten that readers enjoy reading about *likable* characters.
I have one exception to that: the new Wonder Woman costume with Cliff Chiang's art was fantastic!  I really didn't read any of the other New 52 books for more than a couple of issues.