Author Topic: Star Trek movies without Yelchin  (Read 1134 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Star Trek movies without Yelchin
« on: July 19, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »
From an AP article about Star Trek Beyond, and what to do about making the fourth movie without Anton Yelchin:

The series will live on, of course. On Monday Paramount Pictures announced that there will be a fourth film, which will see the return of Kirk's deceased father (Chris Hemsworth). As for Chekov, Abrams said they've started thinking about how to deal with his absence in the continuing story, but that it's also "too early to talk about."

"There is no recasting," Abrams said. "I know he literally was a re-cast of a prior thing, but ... we have some other thoughts."

"No recasting" would mean carrying on without the character of Pavel Chekov. In which case, I have one word for them to consider: Saavik. She occupied the navigator's chair in The Wrath of Khan, in Chekov's absence from the Enterprise, so she'd be the obvious choice.

And it'd allow them to add a sidebar plot about Uhura's being jealous, out of fear of losing Spock to one of the few remaining members of his own race. (I haven't yet seen the 2nd film, so I'm guessing, at this point, that they're still an item.)
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Star Trek movies without Yelchin
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 07:47:29 PM »
They should have the ancestor of Wesley Crusher...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 12:06:03 AM »
They'd have to tell him to shut up at least once just to make it official.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 12:22:30 AM »

... and the writers have him too cast as a polymath with nothing to do but annoy his superiors.  (It's only fair.)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 03:14:41 AM »

They would cast him, give him a small part, edit out all his scenes and not invite him to the world premiere.  The actor will then spend his time wallowing in self-pity.  "Noooo!  Why me?!"