Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 1628 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Stranger Things
« on: July 18, 2016, 09:04:10 AM »
Suppose you decided to take every trope from every 80s horror, sci-fi and kid-venture movie there is and cut them up on a coke mirror of your favorite 80s band that you won at some Midwestern state fair, then using your Dad's Tandy and your knowledge of advanced Serpentor technology make it into a tv series and put it on Netflix. Well then you'd be wasting your time because Stranger Things is already on there.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Stranger Things
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:33:47 AM »
I... I can't decide if that's an endorsement...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »
I liked it. If you've got an 80s nostalgia bone in your body watch it. Not sure otherwise.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 10:15:59 PM »
Just watched the first episode, and so far I'm inclined to describe it as amazing stories from the darkside that might give you goosebumps.

Also, the acting is cheesy bad.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 10:23:13 PM »
Yeah it's a direct 80s port, with the good and the bad. Wynonna's overwrought mother really grates as it progresses.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 04:25:04 AM »
I enjoyed it.  I thought it was a good melange of Stephen King TV Specials, The Gate, and 80's children-centric dramas like D.A.R.Y.L. and Flight of The Navigator.

I liked the choice to put it in the 80s in the first place.  I've had friends tell me they don't watch old television shows anymore or nostalgia networks like MeTV because a world without Internet doesn't seem real to them anymore or worth looking back upon.  Then shows like this come out on Netflix, and they can enjoy being left out from their own cognitive dissonance. :P

Hit the jump for spoilers... I finished the series, so don't touch the SHOW button below until Episode 8 is over with (if you're still watching).

Spoiler for Hidden:
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stranger-things-finale-duffer-brothers-interview-season-2-1201816664/

TL;DR: Not guaranteed for a 2nd Season just yet (it just came out Friday... they need more time to tell if it's a success or not), but plans the directors confirmed state that this isn't an anthology series, so the same cast will be coming back.  Despite them managing to rescue Will Byers in the end, Barb is confirmed dead. (Was vague to us, some I know who saw it wondered the same.) Much like Game of Thrones, no one is safe.  The Upside Down will still be involved, but next season may move on from the boys as the audience advocate.

And along with Eleven being a scene stealer (and British), Dustin is indeed a bad ass in hiding.  Can't wait to see more from him.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:54:13 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 04:44:15 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Presumably Will's getting hit with Slugulus Eructo was a soft cliffhanger. Satisfying if there's no season 2 but potential if there is.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 05:06:55 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Presumably Will's getting hit with Slugulus Eructo was a soft cliffhanger. Satisfying if there's no season 2 but potential if there is.

We were screaming in our house "What about Barb, you jerks?!!!  Pull out the worm and pick her up, she's laying right there!!!"  It's also not clear if the Slugs are actually feeding off of them, infection-spreading, symbiotic, or what's going on, but like you said, Season 2 fodder. :D  We just know that Will isn't "out of the woods."

What that does mean is that Wynona's histrionics will be back.  But I at least enjoyed her more than the Wheeler parents at least.  Just extras with lines.

That's all I'll offer that's spoiler'd. 

I was digging the full 80's treatment... the Realistic handheld CBs from Radio Shack (not a compliment, the brand name), the "still recovering from 1970's" wardrobe (Nancy caught between Dana Plato and Pam Dawber as my sister pointed out... that had me laughing), and the period grocery aisles in the IGA with Tide powder boxes and Maxwell House cans.  (IGA is still around, but my local one closed 10 years ago.)  It's a continuity easter egg hunt for those looking for that kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 05:20:14 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 05:57:14 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
I thought they checked and Barb was legit dead. But even if they didn't Barb should have known what she was getting into when she signed up to be the awkward friend in an 80s movie.