Author Topic: Star Trek: Horizon - a fan film  (Read 1437 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Star Trek: Horizon - a fan film
« on: July 05, 2016, 03:50:50 AM »
I just found this on YouTube (posted on February 26, 2016), and it is mind-boggling that this is a fan film! The video can be found by searching for "star trek horizon full film"; it should be the first non-ad video listed. There's a great review of it on the "For the Love of Trek" website at startrekrenegades.com, if you're inclined to read up on it first. (There was a "minor spoiler alert" given, but i couldn't find any real spoilers.)

In the credits, the phrase "A film by Tommy Kraft" is way more accurate than how that phrasing is normally used (to mention the director of a film). He served as director, writer, producer, editor, director of photography, and costume designer, and also did the visual effects and music. It took him four years to complete the film, and the result is astonishing.

About the only point that I'd really fault it on, is that the actors aren't professionals, and it does sometimes show. But, as regards everything else...man, this kid is going places in movie-making. It looks so much like a movie, that it needs to be watched on a big-screen TV. To echo a sentiment in the above-mentioned review, this may be the greatest demo reel you'll ever see.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Re: Star Trek: Horizon - a fan film
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 05:46:03 AM »
Yeah, but did you like it?

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 01:13:11 AM »
And could it be made today with the new "fan film" rules released by CBS / Paramount?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:23:18 PM by saipaman »

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 11:18:48 PM »
And could it be made today with new "fan film" rules released by CBS / Paramount?

Certainly not. Those rules are obviously meant to limit fan films to having the production values of a high-school play, while keeping them no longer than a "Saturday Night Live" sketch, the purpose being to keep the film from actually telling a story, or looking like "Star Trek".

I wonder how Joss Whedon feels about "Firefly" fan films.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 11:25:17 PM »
I think I'm safe in assuming that 'Axanar' was going to make the new Star Trek series look really, really bad, hence the sudden caring on the part of CBS/Paramount.