Author Topic: Jack Emmert moves to Daybreak and DCUO  (Read 5484 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Jack Emmert moves to Daybreak and DCUO
« on: June 08, 2016, 05:33:55 PM »
So someone shared this on facebook.

http://www.mmogames.com/gamenews/jack-emmert-appointed-ceo-daybreak-austin/

Now, I am personally not one who wholly likes him.  I dislike what happened to CO under his rule, at the same time I hear of positive things of STO and NWO.  And he's also no longer going to be having to deal with the corrosive nature of PWE.  On the other hand, people remember his tendency to take away and over nerf playstyles other than whatever his specific "one way to play" was.  And how City of Heroes entered it's golden age under different developers after he'd left.

Any thoughts?  I personally won't be surprised if he over nerfs crowd control for solo play and double downs on the out-dated holy trinity system.  On the other hand, I would like to see him make content where people play the heroes we design more at higher CR levels, rather than being stuck playing batwoman or some other DC character after we'd been playing our own from levels 1-30 or CR 1-52ish.

I'd like more solo content that was interesting without the punishing nature as it stands now with a much wider number of missions to play through.

Ed. Note: Minor correction of Emmert's last name for search purposes in the title. -Tahquitz
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:44:46 AM by Tahquitz »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: Jack Emmerit moves to Daybreak and DCUO
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 05:55:57 PM »
So someone shared this on facebook.

http://www.mmogames.com/gamenews/jack-emmert-appointed-ceo-daybreak-austin/

Now, I am personally not one who wholly likes him.  I dislike what happened to CO under his rule, at the same time I hear of positive things of STO and NWO.  And he's also no longer going to be having to deal with the corrosive nature of PWE.  On the other hand, people remember his tendency to take away and over nerf playstyles other than whatever his specific "one way to play" was.  And how City of Heroes entered it's golden age under different developers after he'd left.

Any thoughts?  I personally won't be surprised if he over nerfs crowd control for solo play and double downs on the out-dated holy trinity system.  On the other hand, I would like to see him make content where people play the heroes we design more at higher CR levels, rather than being stuck playing batwoman or some other DC character after we'd been playing our own from levels 1-30 or CR 1-52ish.

I'd like more solo content that was interesting without the punishing nature as it stands now with a much wider number of missions to play through.
All I have to say about this buhbye Jack, he was solely responsible for crippling co to the point it is now. While I understand they needed to get STO to a far better place, he should have never let what happened to co happen.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 07:42:33 PM »
I suspect he'll wear out his welcome rather quickly.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Jack Emmert moves to Daybreak and DCUO
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:00:51 AM »
Based on what slickriptide shared in "New Efforts", this won't be anything notable to #SaveCOH.  Whatever funds Perfect World/Cryptic had to make a difference would be even less over there most likely.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 02:32:31 AM »
He certainly made decisions I didn't agree with in regards to COX, and Champions Online definitely has been neglected, but I do admire Jack's ability to keep Cryptic afloat when so many other MMO Studios have bit the dust over the years.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »
I'm going to take this a different direction because why not?

This actually has my interest, I almost want to resub to DCUO just to be there whenever he takes that game wherever he is being hired to take it.

In one FB post he states, "Honestly, I didn't really control nerfs on CO. CoH - definitely blame me!"

Same thread he was being criticized for assigning lvl 5 missions in a lvl 11ish area because he wanted it to be "more challenging" His response got my attention, "Yep. That was pretty stupid of me. I can only blame my youth and stupidity. I tried to learn from that on the later games."

Anyone showing growth and learning from mistakes gets my respect. I want to respect him. I want to see him bring good things to the table for DCUO.

I hope I'm not wasting my forgiveness.

Time will tell.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »
I really don't care who they hire at this point, I will no longer support DayBreak or any of their games. I've been playing and supporting these titles since 1998 when EQ was in beta. Next to CoX, EQ2 is the online game I've played the most over the years and returned to time and again. Looking at the over all state of their games and what they've done to them since the transition from SOE to DBG I just can't justify giving the company any more of my money or time.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 11:33:19 PM »
I'm going to take this a different direction because why not?

This actually has my interest, I almost want to resub to DCUO just to be there whenever he takes that game wherever he is being hired to take it.

In one FB post he states, "Honestly, I didn't really control nerfs on CO. CoH - definitely blame me!"

Same thread he was being criticized for assigning lvl 5 missions in a lvl 11ish area because he wanted it to be "more challenging" His response got my attention, "Yep. That was pretty stupid of me. I can only blame my youth and stupidity. I tried to learn from that on the later games."

Anyone showing growth and learning from mistakes gets my respect. I want to respect him. I want to see him bring good things to the table for DCUO.

I hope I'm not wasting my forgiveness.

Time will tell.

That response greatly increased my respect for him, that and his recognizing where CO went wrong.  I wouldn't be surprised actually if he did bring DCUO into a better position actually.  Usually see many famous developers also have there one easy AVGN target game, which is way below standard and often after one of there better creations.  For Jack Emmert it's CO.  Just the same for like, Warren Specter thats DX:IW ect.

Lets see.

With CoH a lack of limits was a problem early on, they couldn't do anything to increase customization with such a lack of power limits.
With CO, a problem that never got fixed(since Jack moved on right away to STO) was a complete lack of any charts or anything as to any kind of standard.  At the same time though, I often ask myself why would he move on from development of a game so soon, the answer is in CO's development, it was originally another game.  History has shown that games which go through multiple complete overhauls in development and even out-right project changes can turn out to become failures, especially if the change is in say, late alpha.
STO was at first struggling but he ended up giving it a lot of care, this came at the expense of CO but odds are, given what happened with CO already, it may have been a lost cause to him by that point.
He also treated NWO similarly, giving it a lot more attention than CO.

It seems to me he learns from his mistakes and also recognizes where his mistakes were.  The fact he can recognize his mistakes to me is a good sign.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 03:07:24 PM »
Well, if Jack Emmert was in charge of Neverwinter - he hasn't learned.

The game was already very difficult, and he listened to the min/maxers
(who had all the top gear) and made it even more difficult.  I quit at that point.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 06:51:59 PM »
DayBreak Games is not just Sony Online Entertainment rebadged no matter how many times they claim it is or how many fans wish it were so. DayBreak Games is the face of Columbus Nova, and investment firm. They started out lying to their fans almost literally from day one and have been manipulating and milking most of them ever since. The only saving grace I see here is that DCUO along with PS2 and H1Z1 seems to be one of the three games that they have where Columbus Nova actually cares about its future beyond wringing short term profits from the players. I don't think it matters if Jack has learned anything. He might be there for name recognition more than anything else for all I know. Something that will matter in how long he stays working there and what he gets done is whether or not he does what Columbus Nova tells him to do. From what I've seen and experienced in Landmark, Next, EQ, and EQ2, at least, what Columbus Nova wants is not always what is best for the players or the longevity of the project.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 09:46:31 PM »
All I have to say about this buhbye Jack, he was solely responsible for crippling co to the point it is now. While I understand they needed to get STO to a far better place, he should have never let what happened to co happen.

Ya but this is the company that killed of EQNext, sounds to me like he will fit right in.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 08:08:14 AM »
On a positive note he couldn't make DCUO much worse.