Author Topic: troller vs dom  (Read 9622 times)

switch

• Bronze Age 2016
  • Minion
troller vs dom
« on: June 03, 2016, 04:09:37 AM »
bordem hit again so i was thinking  if you were to make a toon for each set  trolller and doms  but didnt want to have more then one of the same set

which would u make trollers and which would be doms  and why

and GO ................

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Re: troller vs dom
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:28:17 AM »
I never made a dom, so I guess I shouldn't say nothing.

Psycout

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:44:22 PM »
There's a ton of fun combs but this is what I would go with. Might mix some of the secondaries up for the doms though.

Controllers:
Illusion/Dark
Plant/Storm
Electric/Kinetic
Ice/Cold

Dominators:
Mind/Fire
Gravity/Energy
Dark/Psi
Earth/Thorn
Fire/Dark

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 12:07:24 AM »
Leaving aside the secondaries, my thinking was as follows:
Controllers depend on their control set for damage. AoE damage is generally the most important. They also can depend on their secondary for additional defense.
Dominators depend on their control set for defense, and on their secondary for damage.

This makes me consider that I want to run the higher-damage sets as Controllers, and the higher-defense sets as Dominators.

I consider the higher damage sets to be:
Fire (natch), Illusion, Plant, Electric, Darkness

The lower damage sets are:
Gravity (AoE, it's good single-target), Ice, Earth, Mind

Ice is a bit of an odd case... at low-damage you want to run it as a Dominator, but its main defensive strength is its -Recharge debuff, which really synergizes well with a debuff secondary so that you can lower enemy accuracy, damage, and attack rate, while healing what damage does come through. So a character like an Ice/Rad is a very strong defensive combo even if you never use anything more than -Recharge powers and the AoE Immob for damage. However, you're low on damage. So I think that the best option for Ice is to run it as a Dominator, with the Dark Assault secondary... you stack -ToHit with -Recharge to lower incoming damage, get mez protection so the slow but constant incoming damage doesn't mez you, and a self-heal with which you can counter the incoming damage.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 03:15:29 AM »
Ive run both Doms and Trollers.. Loved them both.. but one of my all time favorites..

Ice/Thorn Dominator... made scrappers cry...

Champ

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 10:37:46 AM »
Dominators were my great love of this game.  I played a troller but tended to like blasters, tanks and brutes more so I'd try to turn my dominators into brutes.  Doms benefited most from IOs, although it was going to be the most costly toon you'd make there was just nothing like a well built perma-dom. 

I had 3 great dominators.  One was Mind/Nrgy/Mace or Ice for PvP.  That was my main with perma Dom and power boost that thing would control more aggro than a tank ever could, you just had to be proactive, plus the mace was a great debuff when you found your team short on debuffage.

The next was an Ice/Elec/Mu Dom.  That thing was an animal, the godmode recharged real fast and timing the endo crash with my perma Dom cycle mitigated any drop in effectiveness. 

Last one I built was a mind/dark/Nrgy Dom.  That thing combined everything I loved about this game.  Mad control with powerboosted controls and buffed dmg.  Perma confuses, who needs one pet when you can have 20?!  Add in an energy transfer that hit harder than anything other than a capped fury brutes ET along with a ranged heal to heal back the dmg you just did to yourself.  Add in all the passive defenses built in with with IO bonuses.  That thing was so much fun I just lament that dark and Nrgy patrons for Dom came so close to the end.   

I didnt play trollers as much but I'd say that Mind was THE dominator primary that benefited most from being a Dom.  Every other Dom primary was comparable to trollers it was really up to the player at the keyboard. 

If I had to say what I'd like to play of each that would be unique compared to the other it would be a mind/dark Dom and an Illusion/rad troller. 

Long story short I miss this game so much!

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 04:02:03 AM »
I have made and played probably 70-80 combos of each AT when it comes to Trollers/Doms. It truly depends on WHAT I want to do. I will say however I did have one Dom that I considered my absolute favorite and that was my Earth/Psi/Psi Dom. I had a thing for Earth control as my main Troller was an Earth/Kin/Stone. My Dom was a faster soloer, but my Earth/Kin Troller was a good solo toon as well as a very handy team toon. I had three main toons I played... those two and my Corruptor.