Author Topic: Stop swearing! The word censor is gone!  (Read 8286 times)

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Stop swearing! The word censor is gone!
« on: May 29, 2016, 05:09:45 AM »
Greetings, pancake makers!

For those of you in the tl;dr crowd: We're clearing the word censorship list on Sunday, June 5, 2016. Stop using censored profanity immediately.

A long time ago, we added a few items to the forums' "word censorship" list. That feature basically replaces text we want to censor with something else. The replacements we made were humorous. We replaced common profanity (such as f***) with the word "pancake". Over time we included variants of the profanity (such as f***er => pancaker).

However, we recently realized this is counterproductive. Our terms of service bar the use of profanity. By censoring it with something funny, we're inadvertently encouraging profanity. That's not what we want! It's especially problematic when someone curses someone out and then tells us "but I didn't use any bad language, all I did was say pancake".

So, we're clearing the censorship list. Starting immediately, if you use any of the words that were previously censored, they'll get replaced by the following: NOTE TO SELF: The word censorship list will be cleared after 2016-06-05. I should stop swearing immediately so that I don't get modsmacked next time! We understand that not everyone will read this message immediately and figured it'd be a little unfair to start modsmacking people immediately.

However, after we remove the warning replacements on June 5, our mods will start modsmacking you for using the words that were formerly censored. And if you use any other profanity that isn't censored before then, you can also expect to get modsmacked.

Text that was censored is permanently altered when you make your post, so you don't need to worry about old posts suddenly turning into cesspools of profanity. Also, you're welcome to continue using the word "pancake", as long as you're not using it in a harrassing or abusive way of course!

I'd also like to take the opportunity to clarify what language is and isn't allowed. Two bullet points that are relevant from our terms of service:
  • Vulgarity, obscenity, and profanity are not allowed. What's "vulgar," "obscene," or "profane?" Ultimately, that's up to the Titan Network's moderators, but as a guideline (and only as a guideline), stuff that would be rated above "PG-13" is a pretty good start. This includes harsh language, sexual language or images, and images or language encouraging or of actual drug use.
  • Language or images used for the purpose of attacking, insulting, harassing, slandering, or otherwise griefing other users is prohibited.
In line with that, some words are contextually permissible. If someone says their dog got run over, you can say "that's a shitty situation". But you're not allowed to call someone a shit-head because they pissed you off. You can tell us how you got your ass kicked last night while playing Champions, but you can't tell someone you're mad at that they're an asshole. To clarify, it's not the words that are the issue here: it's the personal attack.

We do ask that you avoid f*ck and c*nt. Those really aren't PG-13.

Questions or concerns? Please share them in the discussion topic for this post.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:31:48 AM by Sekoia »

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: Stop swearing! The word censor is gone!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 02:32:26 AM »
The word censor has now been disabled. Please proceed with caution.  8)