Author Topic: Stop swearing! The word censor is gone!  (Read 7025 times)

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Stop swearing! The word censor is gone!
« on: May 29, 2016, 05:09:26 AM »
EDIT: The word censor has now been disabled. Please proceed with caution.  8)

Greetings, pancake makers!

For those of you in the tl;dr crowd: We're clearing the word censorship list on Sunday, June 5, 2016. Stop using censored profanity immediately.

A long time ago, we added a few items to the forums' "word censorship" list. That feature basically replaces text we want to censor with something else. The replacements we made were humorous. We replaced common profanity (such as f***) with the word "pancake". Over time we included variants of the profanity (such as f***er => pancaker).

However, we recently realized this is counterproductive. Our terms of service bar the use of profanity. By censoring it with something funny, we're inadvertently encouraging profanity. That's not what we want! It's especially problematic when someone curses someone out and then tells us "but I didn't use any bad language, all I did was say pancake".

So, we're clearing the censorship list. Starting immediately, if you use any of the words that were previously censored, they'll get replaced by the following: NOTE TO SELF: The word censorship list will be cleared after 2016-06-05. I should stop swearing immediately so that I don't get modsmacked next time! We understand that not everyone will read this message immediately and figured it'd be a little unfair to start modsmacking people immediately.

However, after we remove the warning replacements on June 5, our mods will start modsmacking you for using the words that were formerly censored. And if you use any other profanity that isn't censored before then, you can also expect to get modsmacked.

Text that was censored is permanently altered when you make your post, so you don't need to worry about old posts suddenly turning into cesspools of profanity. Also, you're welcome to continue using the word "pancake", as long as you're not using it in a harrassing or abusive way of course!

I'd also like to take the opportunity to clarify what language is and isn't allowed. Two bullet points that are relevant from our terms of service:
  • Vulgarity, obscenity, and profanity are not allowed. What's "vulgar," "obscene," or "profane?" Ultimately, that's up to the Titan Network's moderators, but as a guideline (and only as a guideline), stuff that would be rated above "PG-13" is a pretty good start. This includes harsh language, sexual language or images, and images or language encouraging or of actual drug use.
  • Language or images used for the purpose of attacking, insulting, harassing, slandering, or otherwise griefing other users is prohibited.
In line with that, some words are contextually permissible. If someone says their dog got run over, you can say "that's a shitty situation". But you're not allowed to call someone a shit-head because they pissed you off. You can tell us how you got your ass kicked last night while playing Champions, but you can't tell someone you're mad at that they're an asshole. To clarify, it's not the words that are the issue here: it's the personal attack.

We do ask that you avoid f*ck and c*nt. Those really aren't PG-13.

Questions or concerns? Please discuss below!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:33:06 AM by Sekoia »

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
Re: Stop swearing! The word censor is going away on June 5
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 06:14:29 PM »
So, if it was in one of the MCU movies it's okay? Those are all PG-13. (Deadpool AFAIK is not currently considered part of the MCU. Also definitely not PG-13.)
Not that i've ever been a heavy user of invective; to the best of my knowledge none of my posts has ever triggered the censor, even with all the unicorning that has happened in the past. Heck, i've got all sorts of nominally PG-13 words on hand without even using descriptive medical terms: slattern, jackhole, gibbering, squamous, pendulous, mountebank, joshex, niggardly, farcical, inane, insipid, incontinent, logorrhea, juggalo, blue waffle, incoherent, iniquitous, the list goes on and on...
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 10:10:02 PM »
Thanks for the question. One of our primary concerns is how you're using the language. Calling someone gibbering incoherent slattern as an attack would run afoul of our terms of service.

As the terms of service state, PG-13 is only a guideline. Ultimately it's up to our moderators' discretion. I'll defer to our moderators on whether they want to comment on the MCU movies specifically.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 10:23:18 PM »
Thanks for the question. One of our primary concerns is how you're using the language. Calling someone gibbering incoherent slattern as an attack would run afoul of our terms of service.

As the terms of service state, PG-13 is only a guideline. Ultimately it's up to our moderators' discretion. I'll defer to our moderators on whether they want to comment on the MCU movies specifically.
Reasonable. Especially considering what Loki called Black Widow.

Serena

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 01:24:01 AM »
You disallow profanity, yet you automatically censor it for everyone. Never has made sense.
You have not, because you try not.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 02:57:29 AM »
You disallow profanity, yet you automatically censor it for everyone. Never has made sense.
It was impossible to automatically catch everything with a substitution, so we had a catch-all rule to handle the ones that got by.  Now we're shifting to the rule being the primary focus.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 07:03:09 AM »
It was impossible to automatically catch everything with a substitution, so we had a catch-all rule to handle the ones that got by.  Now we're shifting to the rule being the primary focus.
Not to mention that some boards with extremely zealous auto-censoring become absurd. Like the SWTOR forums censoring parts of words that would be profane alone (the results could be embar***ing) and censoring words that have a somewhat obscure obscene usage but are used fairly frequently in non-obscene contexts. And yet somehow completely lacked filters for a lot of very profane and not at all obscure British slang.

Serena

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 05:06:07 PM »
Yeah but on most forums individuals can disable censorship where as here its enabled regardless. The point Im making was why ban or even have a rule when it isnt even possible to see the offensive words type during a keyboard reflex.
You have not, because you try not.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 06:28:12 PM »
The forum's word censor was in use prior to formalizing the terms of service. Also, the terms of service applies to all of Titan's sites and so we had all sites in mind when crafting it, not just the forums. Faces, Paragon Wiki, Ourportal, and Paragon Chat never had a censor enabled.

I believe the forum censoring started as something of a joke. Our initial censorship was to censor "troll" so that it became "unicorn", I think as a playful/humorous way of trying to get people to stop calling one another trolls. Later someone suggested censoring profanity with pancakes, and so we did.

I don't think any of us gave it much thought until recently. Yes, it's somewhat contradictory to censor profanity when profanity is banned. We agree. That's why we're removing the censorship.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 10:40:44 AM »
We do ask that you avoid f*ck and c*nt.

He said Jehovah!!1

:P
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
Re: Stop swearing! The word censor is going away
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 11:20:51 AM »
End of an era...
No more pancaking unicorns

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 03:29:35 PM »

I believe the forum censoring started as something of a joke. Our initial censorship was to censor "troll" so that it became "unicorn", I think as a playful/humorous way of trying to get people to stop calling one another trolls.

I'll be glad to see that one go, personally. On a board built to discuss a game with a pretty commonly-encountered faction called The Trolls it just always seemed goofy.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
Re: Stop swearing! The word censor is gone!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »
This is a good thing. As a fan of the breakfast pancake, the word replacing system really made me hungry when I would be cast with derisive breakfast terminology.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Linuial

• Lieutenant
    • Survivor: a City of Heroes novel
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 09:01:59 PM »
Long ago, in a super City far, far away, I trained myself to use "spit" instead of the word it rhymes with because of the risk of being in a team with an unknown underage player.  Now I'm even stuck doing it in RL, which has gotten me chewed out for being "PC".  ;-)  Note to self...f--- is out. 

However, should I stick to the "spit" habit?  :-O 
Liberty and a plethora of others.  Altaholic.  SG Starfire.
"...and it's never too late to stop being afraid..." 
"...have you ever been caught in a sea of despair?
"And your Moment of Truth is the day that you say, "I'm not scared!"
"Unity" - - Shinedown

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 11:46:04 PM »
Self-Bowdlerization is entirely your call to make.  That's essentially what the pancake word substitution accomplished.

However, as Sekoia mentioned up top, it is possible for a user to be banned for a personal attack that does not involve profanity in the first place.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »
Here are some things I created a while back just for here...LOL

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 10:53:06 PM »
I don't swear (here)...

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 02:28:22 AM »
Unicorn Pancakes for everybody!!!!