Author Topic: MacGyver revival/reboot  (Read 1178 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
MacGyver revival/reboot
« on: May 19, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »
I just saw the trailer on YT. It's being excoriated in the comments, and for good reason, in my opinion. It has the basic premise, but it doesn't have any of the heart, of the original series. The new MacGyver (whether he's supposed to be Angus' son, or a younger Angus) comes off as cocky and arrogant, with none of Richard Dean Anderson's charisma or likeability. I'm still a tremendous fan of the original, and, if the new version is left as is, I don't see this growing on me at all.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: MacGyver revival/reboot
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 07:45:41 PM »
That's it. I guess there are no more original ideas left for TV shows.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:46:53 AM »
Same problem as movies: original ideas are seen as a liability.  Why take risk on a new universe, new concept or new characters when you can make money and spend less effort rehashing prior ones that had success in the past?

And like the movies, it has the same consequence: the fans and enthusiasts are burning out on it already.  The mainstream audience will do the same next, and both movies and TV will suffer for it.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 07:29:26 PM »
I just saw the trailer on YT. It's being excoriated in the comments, and for good reason, in my opinion. It has the basic premise, but it doesn't have any of the heart, of the original series. The new MacGyver (whether he's supposed to be Angus' son, or a younger Angus) comes off as cocky and arrogant, with none of Richard Dean Anderson's charisma or likeability. I'm still a tremendous fan of the original, and, if the new version is left as is, I don't see this growing on me at all.

It's a trailer so maybe we didn't see the best of it, but I agree he didn't seem like he had the same likability of the original MacGyver. I admit I'm less then pleased to see him being part of some sort of team like this but I guess that's so they don't have to do a voice-over to have him explain half the stuff he does?