Author Topic: Doctor Strange first teaser trailer  (Read 12016 times)

LateNights

• Elite Boss
Re: Doctor Strange first teaser trailer
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 06:26:15 AM »
I guess the difference to me is that overseers, like the Principalities, don't just protect but guide mankind.  Dr. Strange protects mankind from magical threats, but he's not a guardian in the guidance-sense.  Its not his job to guide humanity anywhere.  If anything he's often portrayed as not wanting to meddle in "normal" human affairs.

Isn't he still guiding humanity by virtue of protecting it?

The FF / Kirby thing is cool - he did also call himself God though right?

Lmao, that's gotta be decent proof!!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 06:35:34 AM »
The FF / Kirby thing is cool - he did also call himself God though right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euY1jeZu9kI

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 07:00:04 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euY1jeZu9kI

but...but...

Fine then.

So, what you're saying, is we should expect Stan Lee's cameo in Doctor Strange to be as God.  :)

I kinda want an Eternity cameo if there's a second or third film.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 08:17:08 PM »
Given how well his Deadpool cameo turned out, they should find a way to work that scene into every Marvel movie going forward.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 01:09:21 PM »
You know those 1970's Marvel TV shows? The Captain America ones were both horrible (still got them on DVD though just because), Spider-Man was ok for the half a season it lasted, The Hulk of course was a huge success.

But they did a 2 hour Dr Strange movie as a pilot, and I have to say it was the best out of all of those they did. It followed and stayed true to the comics so much more then the Hulk and Captain America ones. I'm not sure if it was out on DVD or VHS but would be nice to see it again.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 01:30:53 PM »
It had a VHS release.  I repeatedly contemplated renting it at a video rental place, but I never did.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 02:25:39 PM »
It had a VHS release.  I repeatedly contemplated renting it at a video rental place, but I never did.

You know those 1970's Marvel TV shows? The Captain America ones were both horrible (still got them on DVD though just because), Spider-Man was ok for the half a season it lasted, The Hulk of course was a huge success.

But they did a 2 hour Dr Strange movie as a pilot, and I have to say it was the best out of all of those they did. It followed and stayed true to the comics so much more then the Hulk and Captain America ones. I'm not sure if it was out on DVD or VHS but would be nice to see it again.

I never saw the Spider-Man tv show, but I did see the movie - in fact I owned the vhs -  Spidey was well done in that movie, not entirely true to the comic, but considering the cgi at the time, it was as true to the lore as you could want with plenty of action thrown in.

Given how well his Deadpool cameo turned out, they should find a way to work that scene into every Marvel movie going forward.

Why you spoil movie?

:P

P.s Holy Shit that trailer looks good though...

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 04:46:26 PM »

I have an avi of it from my ubiquitous peers but haven't gotten around to watching it. Just looked and it's on the youtubes though, and if the place i clicked in the middle of part one is any indication they're not bad for 70s tv.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 07:19:39 PM »

Say what? 

If I'm grading on a curve, the 1978 Doctor Strange movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't really true to the character at all.  Strange was a psychiatrist instead of a surgeon, and his entire origin story of being injured and seeking the Ancient One is set aside.  In my mind, that is a far more dramatic departure than the one in the Incredible Hulk because in the Incredible Hulk Banner is still a man transformed into a mindless monster after an accident, while Strange is no longer the rich privileged asshat that bottoms out and seeks redemption and enlightenment.  In the 1978 movie Strange is a good guy who has a hidden destiny to become the next Sorcerer Supreme.  There's also not a lot of actual sorcery, but of course that's due to the limitations of 1970s television production: its hard to hold that against it too much.

Part of the problem is that there's no Doctor Strange Year One.  In the comics we see Strange more or less as the Sorcerer Supreme and his origin is seem mostly in flashback.  The pilot for Doctor Strange was intended to follow Doctor Strange during his training to become the Sorcerer Supreme, with his training the backstory to the series.  So Strange is not a fully formed character in the pilot: he can't resemble the comic book Sorcerer Supreme because he isn't a fully trained master of the mystic arts at that moment in time, and the Ancient One is a glowing ball of Michael Ansara who was probably going to be his teacher during the series if picked up.

If the pilot resembles anything in all of Doctor Strange continuity, its maybe the graphic novel Into Shamballa.  The visuals have a vaguely similar feeling (as opposed to the more colorful palette the comic books typically had) and the ending of the pilot vaguely resonates with the temptation pages of Shamballa.  But Into Shamballa came out years after the pilot aired.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 09:11:53 PM »
Say what? 

If I'm grading on a curve, the 1978 Doctor Strange movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't really true to the character at all.  Strange was a psychiatrist instead of a surgeon, and his entire origin story of being injured and seeking the Ancient One is set aside.  In my mind, that is a far more dramatic departure than the one in the Incredible Hulk because in the Incredible Hulk Banner is still a man transformed into a mindless monster after an accident, while Strange is no longer the rich privileged asshat that bottoms out and seeks redemption and enlightenment.  In the 1978 movie Strange is a good guy who has a hidden destiny to become the next Sorcerer Supreme.  There's also not a lot of actual sorcery, but of course that's due to the limitations of 1970s television production: its hard to hold that against it too much.

Part of the problem is that there's no Doctor Strange Year One.  In the comics we see Strange more or less as the Sorcerer Supreme and his origin is seem mostly in flashback.  The pilot for Doctor Strange was intended to follow Doctor Strange during his training to become the Sorcerer Supreme, with his training the backstory to the series.  So Strange is not a fully formed character in the pilot: he can't resemble the comic book Sorcerer Supreme because he isn't a fully trained master of the mystic arts at that moment in time, and the Ancient One is a glowing ball of Michael Ansara who was probably going to be his teacher during the series if picked up.

If the pilot resembles anything in all of Doctor Strange continuity, its maybe the graphic novel Into Shamballa.  The visuals have a vaguely similar feeling (as opposed to the more colorful palette the comic books typically had) and the ending of the pilot vaguely resonates with the temptation pages of Shamballa.  But Into Shamballa came out years after the pilot aired.

I did see it only once back in 1978 so I guess I just thought it followed the comic. My mistake then.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2016, 09:15:06 PM »
I did see it only once back in 1978 so I guess I just thought it followed the comic. My mistake then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNu6RVLXAR8

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 12:40:24 AM »
I enjoy the trailer.  It may require a little reordering for mundanes to "get" his back story from that trailer.  The Astral Projection is nice.  The kaleidoscope reality twisting is interesting.  Need to see the finished product aka DS in full garb and accouterments to judge it properly.  They did name drop him in Winter Soldier as a target of the gun ships if anyone but the hard core remembers that.

He does look the part though.  The biggest issue is for his fans to separate his other better known roles to accept him as an American.

Did love the PR story earlier of him stopping into a comic book shop after filming a scene on the street near it and their last day of principle photography.

http://movieweb.com/doctor-strange-comic-book-store-benedict-cumberbatch/
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 02:21:35 AM »
costume looks like a cheap cosplay outfit on the security footage. post-production's going to earn their money.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 12:34:38 AM »
costume looks like a cheap cosplay outfit on the security footage. post-production's going to earn their money.

My recollection is that people said the same thing about the Iron Man armor in early trailers for the first Iron Man movie.  They actually "scuffed" the armor in post quite a bit to make it look less plasticy.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 01:20:39 AM »
Also if he was in that outfit in a comics shop for more than two minutes without someone saying that Dr strange would never go out in public without glamouring his outfit to look like regular clothes they should have their nerd license revoked.