Author Topic: City of Heroes 12th Anniversary - Thursday, April 28th, 2016 - Epilogue  (Read 17832 times)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
An Epilogue to The Celebration
Final Version: May 13th, 2016 - No further changes anticipated.

Acknowledgements

First off, the above says it all.  This event wouldn't have happened without the people above (I was merely the facilitator, these guys did all of the heavy lifting.  Thank them, too!)

Media
(or "Wait, there was photos here... where did they go?")

I've split this post into a separate one for pictures after the event, you can go here to see what we got, or to add your own.

Costume Contest Results

Second, you probably want results from the costume contests.  Here you go!

The boldface names will receive a forum title on Titan Network based on their Global Name for winning their respective contest in first place. (EDIT: Forum Titles are now active!)
The blue name was selected as Mr. Paragon City 2016 - Celecticus!

THE CORE FOUR CONTESTS: Three places were picked in each to move on the the finals.
Golden AgeSilver AgeBronze AgeModern Age
1st Place - Holy Flashback
2nd Place - S Man
3rd Place - Bulletman
1st Place - Dawn of America
2nd Place - Sapien
3rd Place - Jokester
1st Place - Paragon Manhunter
2nd Place - Eloynii Spectre
3rd Place - Ghost Writer
1st Place - Celecticus
2nd Place - Robomonkey
3rd Place - Zoom

THE WILDCARD MATCHES: Only the first place winner moved on to the finals.
Archetype PrototypeTime Trvl/Alt. TimelinesAll American Hero(ine)!
MagmusIndifference EngineJack Viictory

Honorable Mention
1st Place Paragon Monkey 2016 - RoboMonkey (You realize by me writing this, you'll have to defend your title next year, right?)

Trivia Contest

Here are the winners of the Trivia Contests during the Anniversary!

The boldface names will receive a forum title on Titan Network based on their Global Name for winning their respective contest in first place. (EDIT: Forum Titles are now active!)

Trivia Contest #1Trivia Contest #2Trivia Contest #3
1st Place - Jack O'Lantern
2nd Place - Poison Spine
3rd Place - Divinity
1st Place - Reliquary
2nd Place - Exercitus
1st Place - Dinkum Magical Exotic Sheilah

Attendance Figures

Measuring Attendance at this event is a bit tricky.  Consider the following:

• Multi-boxers: We had a few of them yesterday.  Those who have noodled in PChat know they can login with the same name on all of the physical systems to call multiple toons into existence.  Those working off of their experience with CoH live will make a account for each toon individually (which also works), so it's not precise.
  • The command I used to capture a list of players (/whoall) does not show XMPP participants (people on a chat client but not in-game).  So, I don't have a precise count of people in that manner either. (Measuring connections on the Paragon Chat channel shows how many on the client regardless of zone, unless the user drops the channel.  That has caveats as well.)
  • My sampling frequency was once per hour.  I had four costume contests back to back, the longest one (Modern Age) was 45 minutes, so a more frequent check wasn't possible this time around.
  • "But the Paragon Chat channel had over 100 people several times that night..." We didn't have events in Pocket D this time around, so /whoall only measures who is in the zone at the moment.  The numbers I had are from Atlas Park only.

With all of that in mind, our most populated hour was 7:00 pm at 103 people (counting unique globals only), which confirmed my suspicions that the last hour was going to be the biggest as it's a magic time on both coasts (after dinner on the West Coast, not quite Midnight and risking tomorrow's work attendance on the East Coast).  Here's some early numbers:

HOURLY ATTENDANCE

Attendance per Hour

Attendance Weight per Hour

There's other data you could measure with the list (breakdown by archetype, hero vs. villain attendance) but I figured those were silly as power selection in character creation is mostly arbitrary.  If I wanted to, I could bust out PHP/SQLite and make a form you could punch your global name into and see what attendance was like when you were logged in, but I imagine this would also be silly.  (If you disagree with that sentiment, by all means go for it.) 

If you want to play with the raw data yourself, send me a PM.  I don't want to link the document directly on here out of respect for user privacy.  Attendance is one thing, tracking is another.

FINAL HEADCOUNT
Considering all the caveats mentioned above, by counting every global once from 12pm/3pm until the close at 8pm/11pm, we can state that a grand total of 186 people stopped by Atlas Park on Thursday, April 28th, 2016.  As most days on Paragon Chat, Atlas Park has 15 or less people present at any given hour, this is definitely awesome.  We consider it a successful event.

It doesn't quite break a record, however, as the release of Paragon Chat had approx. 200 people present at the most populated hour (even if you go by the Channel headcount and not by /whoall, we didn't make it that high.)

Reflections from the web
(Heh, sounds like a Goth Metal band. anyway...)

Our sister event in Champions Online was a success as well (which is also CO's anniversary date), with MadVyking, Sovereign Rayne, and the Paragon Dawn Supergroup presiding over a meetup in Millennium City Hall.  Players found old friends, a good memory or two of days past, and a couple of Supergroups found new members to join them in Champions Online.  This July, Paragon Dawn will be hosting their virtual convention, DawnCon II, with guests, games and contests in Millennium City during the same weekend as San Diego ComicCon on Saturday, July 23rd from 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm Eastern.

Pogoman, TonyV, and MadVyking of #SaveCOH Radio recorded live at the Anniversary Celebration, as they joined us both in Paragon Chat as well as Champions Online.  If you missed the show live, don't fear!  You can still catch it as a podcast from BlogTalkRadio on the #SaveCOH Radio page.  #SaveCOH Radio records every week on Friday nights at 9pm - 10:30pm Eastern, and 6pm - 7:30pm Pacific at www.blogtalkradio.com/theelf/.  You can also see when they're going to air right here on the boards.

In other Titan Network news, there's badges involved

Massively Overpowered released an article from their Perfect Ten series explaining what systems other MMOs should have stolen from City of Heroes by now.  It's a entertaining read, to say the least.

Marcian Tobay, ex-editor of The City Scoop, mused on the 12th Anniversary with fellow players on Paragon Unleashed.  This caught my attention because of his anecdote from a prior Meet & Greet.

Chris "Warcabbit" Hare has finished a video showing the progress his team is making on City of Titans.  It shows work in multiple areas of the game at once.  You can see it here.

Positron finished his yearly Lore AMA (a.k.a. Loregasm 2016), with the document available to the public here.  Titan Network discussion on the release can be found here, too.

And Back Alley Brawler (CBruce) did a miniature AMA on Reddit for the CoH Anniversary as well!

And One More Thing...

We'll be back next year.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:42:10 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: City of Heroes 12th Anniversary - Save The Date! - April 28th, 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 12:28:49 AM »
ARCHIVE - OLD INFORMATION
The following was the news leading up to the event date.  It's here for archival purposes.

The Unofficial City of Heroes 12th Anniversary Celebration
Thursday, April 28th, 2016 - 12pm - 8pm Pacific, 3pm - 11pm Eastern

About
We're taking advantage of Paragon Chat this year with the 12th Anniversary of City of Heroes.  We invite ex-players, friends, family, and the curious to join us to realize "Next Year in Paragon" with the first Anniversary in Atlas Park since 2012.

Of course, Paragon City isn't the same.  The city looks like the langoliers are about to visit soon.  We can't do Badge Runs, or Ding Parties like in the past.  Architect Entertainment has gone bankrupt, and the superbase portals are all out of order.  We can't make a Task Force, iTrial or Hamidon run to break a server record either.  And there no inf, items, or prizes to give away, or a red name left to put funny yellow-worded titles over our player names.

But we can pretty much do what we've always done otherwise: hang out, play some games, and see some people you haven't seen in a while.  And this is the first anniversary that we have Paragon Chat to help us have fun.  So let's do just that.

Join us today for the 12th Anniversary Celebration on Paragon Chat!

Updates

April 28th, 2016: EVENT DAY - Final Event Schedule
Here's the schedule of events:
PacificEasternGMTEvent
12:00 p.m.3:00 p.m.7:00 p.m.TheCapeRadio (OneHitWonder) at the top of the hour
Costume Contest at :05
Golden Age Trivia Contest at :15
1:00 pm4:00 pm8:00 pmSilver Age Costume Contest at :05
2:00 pm5:00 pm9:00 pmBronze Age Costume Contest at :05
Trivia Contest at :15
3:00 pm6:00 pm10:00 pmParagon Dawn Event at Champions Online - Millennium City Hall
Modern Age Costume Contest at :05
4:00 pm7:00 pm11:00 pmTheCape Radio continues (DJ Nexus)
#SaveCOH Radio (pogoman)
Archetype Prototype Costume Contest at :05
Trivia Contest at :15
5:00 pm8:00 pmMidnightTime Travel & Alt. Universe Costume Contest at :05
6:00 pm9:00 pm1:00 amAll American Hero(ine) Costume Contest at :05
7:00 pm10:00 pm2:00 amATLAS PARK WEENIE ROAST:
Group Photo
TheCape Radio continues (DJ Valor's Final Show)
Costume Contest Finals
Soft Closing (DJ Valor continues until 10 Pac/1a East/5a GMT)
Event reminders will be sent at the top of the hour in the Request Channel all day in Atlas Park (will show up in purple in your chat window if you haven't changed your defaults.) 

Soft Closing: 7:00/10:00/2:00 is the last hour we have events planned, but the Anniversary Celebration isn't over at 8pm.  DJ Valor will continue to broadcast her show after 8pm and if people want to /em holdtorch at the steps of Paragon City Hall, or dance in the square we welcome you to do so.  The lights go out when you do.

Costume Contest Themes/Finals: Also, this is the list of Costume Contest Themes and how the finals will work in the Weenie Roast to crown one winner as Mr/Ms Paragon City 2016 at the end of the night.

Champions Online with Paragon Dawn
For those of you who can't get into Paragon Chat (or don't like it), you have another option to join with CoX refugees: Paragon Dawn is organizing a meetup in Millennium City Hall at 4:00 pm on Champions Online.  Like the Paragon Chat event, this one will also "soft close" as there's no definite end time.

Doesn't this split the audience? For those who can't get in (technical reasons, you no longer have hardware that runs CoH clients, or your brother is doing a WoW raid all night and won't do something else for one night, etc.), they're split from us anyway.  For those who don't like Paragon Chat, they're not going to show up so "embrace and extend" is the idea here. 

Besides, with Plan Z Projects coming into Beta in the next few years, this sentiment will probably expand (Consider later when people who want to celebrate in City of Titans, Heroes & Villians, Valiance Online, or Atlas Park Revival show up in those titles and do not want to use Paragon Chat or Champions Online.)  Telling people the only official venue is Paragon Chat is shortsighted when our future could have so much more in it.

You are welcome to celebrate with us, no matter where you are or how you choose to join us.

#SaveCOH Radio
Also, pogoman confirmed that he will be on tonight for #SaveCOHRadio at 5:00 pm Pacific/8:00 Eastern.  This is to cover the Anniversary Celebration in both Paragon Chat and Champions Online, and it's just for this week: the show typically records on Friday nights.  This show is live at that time; it is also available online as a podcast recording when finished (at the same link above) so you can listen to it anytime you like.

But if you do tune in live, you can call the program and participate as well (the phone number is also at the link above.)

Hey, we made it in the papers!
First, we've been put in a newspaper in Charleston, NC: Examiner.com - 'City of Heroes' fans plan unofficial celebration of game's 12th anniversary

MassivelyOverpowered made a blurb about this event, too! Sweet!  (Also, Eliot Lefebvre, you're my new hero. If I ever meet you in RL, I owe you a drink.)

For those of you coming to this thread from here, there's a few changes to note:
  • The "treasure hunt" that we were calling the Player Mission has been cancelled.  We didn't get enough volunteers to put this together.  Admittedly, this was for a few factors I didn't count on at the start, but the most important thing is that we can try it again next year, so I'm not worried.  It's just delayed gratification for me.  You can read what it was going to be like over here.
  • Any special developer guests from Paragon Studios are not confirmed, unfortunately.  If they're coming, I haven't been told about it.  So I promise nothing and I hope I'm wrong.
  • Minutia: I need to clarify that I am working with Titan Network in spinning a couple of plates, but I don't think Titan Network is sponsoring this as an "official" event.  This is why their logo is absent from marketing materials thus far.  Mainly because my timing wasn't great in announcing this, and I probably should have began this back in March.  A good number of the people who run Titan Network have conflicting real life plans and cannot make it tonight, so I want to temper that expectation now.
Otherwise, let's party!

April 23rd, 2016: It's official, I now hate Photobucket. So long live YouTube!
All of the direct image links on this post were broken because I've exceeded the free bandwidth offered to non-paying users.  (It's eight pictures under 800px.  How?!) Anyway, I've adjusted this post accordingly. (And I've deleted my Photobucket account. Bastards.)

So, if I can't promote with pictures, how about videos instead?  Here's two 15 second quick-ads, Adult Swim-style:

Why? Because we miss you, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykiKsJka60M
See you in Atlas Park. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ5sc-aN7O0

Feel free to share where it's welcome to do so.

Fixed - Wrong Times listed on the Costume Contests on Titan Network
I apologize as my clock math failed me on writing the Pacific/Eastern times for the Costume Contests we're running.  The Pacific times are correct (as I live in California, so I know my schedule), the Eastern Times have been corrected as of today.

Thanks for the 5-8 PMs with the corrected times!  Message received! :D

April 21st, 2016: Champions Online - Party in City Hall!
This event does have one major weak spot, as #SaveCOH Radio has demonstrated last week:
What about people who don't like Paragon Chat?
What about people who have a computer now that CoH doesn't run well on (it's possible)?
What about people who can't get Paragon Chat to work at all? 
Or are you a social butterfly and want to bounce in between Paragon Chat and Champions Online?

No worries, Paragon Dawn has you covered!  They're holding a meetup in Champions Online for the City of Heroes Anniversary as well.

You can head to Champions Online and visit the City Hall in Millennium City, then go inside and head to the Globe Statue. 

The meetup will start on April 28th at 3pm Pacific, 6pm Eastern Time. For more information about Paragon Dawn, the Champions Online supergroup for City of Heroes Veterans and CO fans alike, visit ParagonDawn.com.

April 20th, 2016: Official Schedule
Click here for the final schedule.

Further Information:
Costume Contest Themes - A list of the themes we're going to have for the Costume Contests on April 28th.
Prior Event Information - The planning thread in Paragon Chat Activities.

Finally, for those of you following this, we regretfully apologize for this outcome but we had to cancel the Player Mission event planned at 4pm due to a lack of volunteers.  I hate breaking promises, but it was either choosing to do this now, or campaigning further for volunteers with the same results and coming to the same conclusion 48 hours before the Anniversary, only with more stress attached to it.  Let's just move forward.

I did, however, post the event script for you all to see what it would have been like if it ran, and to inspire others to try for it if they have better luck than we did in the future.  Thanks for the interest, and we're still looking forward to having a good time Thursday, April 28th!

April 17th, 2016: Use of Paragon Chat without a Issue 24 Client, Finalizing Commitments
I've posted a write up here on how to get into Paragon Chat without using the Issue 24-based client.  This is helpful for people who are on the move who can't attend the event otherwise, have a dead gaming computer since 2012 and can't sign on anymore, or who can't install Paragon Chat for whatever reason.

The downside to this approach: Local and Broadcast channels are not available, and you won't have an in-game presence either (so costume contests, etc. will not be possible... you're using it "chat-only".)

Also, this Wednesday, I will have a tentative Official Schedule of Events posted.  I apologize for taking this long, but there's one last thing to bubble out before we commit.

April 15th, 2016: Costume Contest Theme Results
Comic Book Themes have won at 52% of the vote. We'll roll with Golden, Silver, Bronze and Modern Age themes for the Costume Contests! Thanks for your input!

April 12th, 2016: The Cape Radio will be Live! 

The live music has been taken care of. :D We will have One Hit Wonder, DJ Nexus and DJ Valor present for the event!

Special programming note: This event will be DJ Valor's last, as she is retiring her mic due to personal advancement.  DJ Valor has done plenty of events for us in Paragon Chat's nearly 1 year of infancy.  So come out and show her some love before she goes!

April 11th, 2016: Costume Contest Themes & Schedule Changes
We're holding a poll on what costume contest themes are preferred for the Anniversary Celebration.  Please vote if you haven't already done so, as we've had 22 responses thus far (after +1,000 views of the thread).  The poll closes this Thursday, April 14th after midnight Eastern Time.

We are awaiting confirmation for another announcement so stay tuned.  It will be a major addition to the schedule, trust me.

April 9th, 2016: Volunteers Wanted!

Please check out this post if you are interested in working as event staff for the Anniversary Celebration.

We've added Trivia Contest as a new event.

April 7th, 2016: Unconfirmed Event List (subject to change) --

• Player Mission 2016: Hunt through the city and look for clues in a race against time against other players.
  • Costume Contest 2016: Multiple categories to run in, multiple categories to win, one overall winner.
  • Atlas Park Weenie Roast: Group Photo for the event, Recognition of this year's Grand Marshall, Special Guests, and Live Music.

General Information
For more information, stay tuned to this thread as updates will be posted here.

If you want to help:
  • Spread the word.  You can use the following shortened urls: http://tinyurl.com/Paragon2016, http://bit.ly/1RHvXsK.
  • Help Yourself:
    • Install/Update Paragon Chat.  Make sure your copy is installed and ready!  If you've never used Paragon Chat before, check out this guide to get started.  A new release, 1.0, has landed, so if you haven't updated already, just open the Paragon Chat icon on your desktop and choose an option other than "Never Check" or "Automatically install Minor Releases" under Check for New Versions.  You'll need to install 1.0 to participate in this event.  (If you're having problems, check out Arcana's Troubleshooting Guide.)
    • Check your Titan Key. Also, make sure your Titan Key Account (username and password) works in advance of the event. If you can sign on to the Titan Network website front page, you're all set.
    • Haven't installed Paragon Chat yet?  If you have Issue 24 Beta from before the Shutdown, you can simply install the application.  If not, Tequila is here for you.  Let it work it's magic. (Heh, double entendre.) It's the only thing you need; by installing Tequila you automatically get Paragon Chat and Icon.  It's 5.6GB, so it will take a while.
    • Another Way In: I've written a more detailed post on this right here. In short, you can install an XMPP Client on your computer or favorite mobile device (Android and iOS primarily, Xabber, AstraChat and Monal are examples) and connect to Paragon Chat directly, or you can access Paragon Chat on the web.  Both methods will not lend you an in-game presence, but you can still follow the chat and attend the Weenie Roast at the end in Atlas Park.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:43:48 AM by Tahquitz »

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 07:47:30 PM »
nice...looks like a T-shirt from a convention.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 12:31:37 AM »
Man. I SO wish it was a real 12th year anniversary. I can't believe it's been like 5 years or something since its been gone.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:56:50 AM »
Man. I SO wish it was a real 12th year anniversary. I can't believe it's been like 5 years or something since its been gone.
Uh, 3.5 years.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 06:01:58 AM »
nice...looks like a T-shirt from a convention.

I aim to please. :D

doc7924

• Elite Boss

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 04:24:10 AM »
Any interest in volunteering to help out with this event? 

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 07:39:11 AM »
Post Removed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:33:06 AM by Tahquitz »

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 03:36:02 AM »
The Event Schedule is up.  See the Original Post for details.

We've made the following changes to the initial plan in the last 20 days:

Costume Contests: 4 of them following Comic-Book Era themes, 3 of them less rigid.
Trivia Contests: 3 spread across the start, one at 12pm/3pm, one at 2pm/5pm, and the last at 4pm/7pm.  All will have different questions, so repeat attendance is no problem.
Player Mission: Cancelled due to lack of volunteers.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Looking forward to this.  Hope we have a great turnout.  :)

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
Are these events celebrating of  all progress those involved have made over the last 4 years?
Imagine the incredible  celebration and prizes we could have, influence, special powers, just by running regular missions with anyone who wanted. Now  THAT  would be an unprecedented time celebrating and honoring those who have the hutzpah, resources,  and were valiant enough  to go forth and stand up to those  who are prevented what we have  wanting: BRING BACK COH!?
 :-X
Doc Artz

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
I don't log into paragon chat very much (just a little too heartbreaking for me) but I'll come in tomorrow and hang around. I was on Liberty mostly back in the day.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Re: City of Heroes 12th Anniversary - TODAY!
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »
It'll be great to see you Thursday in Paragon Chat, MWRuger.    :)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 07:17:13 PM »
Sadly, there is no emote to burn NCSoft in effigy.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 12:39:24 AM »
Not unless you arrange approx. 100 players into the shape of their logo and then countdown from three and do "/e selfdestruct".  The logistics of getting that to happen, hell, it'd be easier just to burn a real one.

PartyKake

• Minion
Re: City of Heroes 12th Anniversary - Thursday, April 28th, 2016 - Epilogue
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 10:02:35 AM »
augh I missed it I feel like crap...

and now paragon chat won't update for me.

madvyking

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 10:58:35 AM »
Speaking for Paragon Dawn:

We want to thank Tahquitz and Nyghtshade for doing this. We were glad to be a part of this.

Also thank you Cape Radio and SaveCOH podcast for broadcasting.

Also want to tank the Champions COH vets and Champion hardcore players who came to check out what went on for coming .had about 50  separate players over the 6 hours we covered.

We plan one for the closing anniversary as well.Some ask why? Well that day helped Paragon Dawn grow and for people who missed the  relase anniversary it's their chance to remember.

And if you're wandering around Champions and want a friendly face, come look for us. www.paragondawn.com

Mad VYkng. Hero dawn captain (Virtue) Reign of Light Co-Leader (Triumph) and CO-Leader and co-Founder of Paragon Dawn (Champions)

Hagis

• Minion
  • Still a newbie
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 04:24:03 PM »
Not sure if I was having lag issues or if there was a hard cap in numbers of some kind, but I kept getting logging in and getting kicked after a minute or so. (Between 8 and 9 PM Eastern)For what it's worth, it looked like a well-attended night.

PartyKake

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 08:57:30 PM »
I got it working again!
Which means now Kake is being served in pocket D lol.