Author Topic: Cold Def or Cold Troller  (Read 8289 times)

worldweary

• Boss
Cold Def or Cold Troller
« on: April 07, 2016, 04:30:12 AM »
Looking at Mid's Defenders Ice Shield has 15% Def and 12.5% Res.Slotted it is 22% Def 19% Res.
Trollers have 11.25% Def and 9.38% Res.Slotted it is 17% Def and 14% Res.Math is something
I have lots of trouble with.If I have 32.5 Def and someone hits me with Ice Shield how do I figure
out what my Def and Res is then?If we were in game I could look at real numbers but with just Mid's
I just don't understand how much to build for and how much Shields will cover the rest.A simple
way to explain if possible.Thanks

Kelltick

• Boss
Re: Cold Def or Cold Troller
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 05:49:26 AM »
Looking at Mid's Defenders Ice Shield has 15% Def and 12.5% Res.Slotted it is 22% Def 19% Res.
Trollers have 11.25% Def and 9.38% Res.Slotted it is 17% Def and 14% Res.Math is something
I have lots of trouble with.If I have 32.5 Def and someone hits me with Ice Shield how do I figure
out what my Def and Res is then?If we were in game I could look at real numbers but with just Mid's
I just don't understand how much to build for and how much Shields will cover the rest.A simple
way to explain if possible.Thanks

Assuming the shield giver has them slotted the way your Mids numbers show, it would be as follows:

You (base): 32.5% Def  0% Res
You (Defender shield): 54.5% Def  19% Res
You (Controller shield): 49.5% Def  14% Res

Defense values are additive, so simply add them together to get your total. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Resistance is multiplicative, so an example would be:

You (base): 10% Res
You (Defender shield): 27.1% Res  (10% + (90 * .19))
You (Controller shield): 22.6% Res  (10% + (90 * .14))

The 90 in the example is your current value. You take 90% of the damage. You then multiply that value by what the shield gives you, either 19% (.19) or 14% (.14) depending on the shield giver AT. Add the result to the original 10% to get the final Res value.

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 09:23:17 PM »
So if a teammate had 20 Defense and I hit them with Ice Shield not slotted they would have 35 Defense?
So they would be 10 off from the cap.If they had 10 Resistance and I hit them with Ice Shield not slotted
which is 12.5 they would have 20 Resistance?Sorry I know this is basic math for most of you but I really
want to understand how to do this.Thanks

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 09:36:59 PM »
So if a teammate had 20 Defense and I hit them with Ice Shield not slotted they would have 35 Defense?
So they would be 10 off from the cap.If they had 10 Resistance and I hit them with Ice Shield not slotted
which is 12.5 they would have 20 Resistance?Sorry I know this is basic math for most of you but I really
want to understand how to do this.Thanks

Defense-wise, yes. 20% Def + 15% Def from the shield = 35% Def.

Resistance-wise, close. It would actually be 21.25% Res.
10% + (90 * .125) = 10% + 11.25% = 21.25%

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 11:06:31 PM »
Thank You for taking the time to explain.I think I understand.Now I can see what a Cold,FF,Sonic Resonance and Thermal Defenders will be able to do when in a team without IO's.

Hedgefund

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 02:19:57 PM »
Resistance buffs were simply added just as defense buffs were.  That is, when a player (A) would get a resistance buff from an ally (B), the total resistance would be the sum of A's resists + the resistance buffs from B. 

To further elaborate, let's say

A is any AT with 20% Defense to S/L, 15% Def to Melee, 10% Defense to everything else.  10% Resistance to all damage types.
B is a Cold/ Defender with no Defense or Resistance enhancements slotted in either Ice Shield or Glacial Shield

When B uses Ice Shield and Glacial Shield on A, this results in (numbers is parenthesis represent A before buffs + buffs from B, respectively)
Defense
Smash/Lethal 35% (20 + 15)
Fire/Cold 10% (10 + 0)
Energy/Negative  25% (10 + 15)
Psi: 10% (10 + 0)
Melee 30% (15 + 15)
Range/AOE 25% (10 + 15)

Resistance
S/L/E/N/P/T 10% (10 + 0)
Fire 20% (10 + 10)
Cold 35% (10 + 25)

Note that Cold shields only provide Resistance only to Fire and Cold, and only somewhat meaningfully to Cold type.  Not that it's useless, that means the unique 2 Resistance IOs for 3% Def each can be slotted in those shields, for example.

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »
Resistance buffs were simply added just as defense buffs were.  That is, when a player (A) would get a resistance buff from an ally (B), the total resistance would be the sum of A's resists + the resistance buffs from B.

I wasn't 100% sure, like I said, that Res buffs were additive or multiplicative. Thought they were the latter. Thanks for the clarification.

Learn something new everyday!  ;D

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »
Thank you for the response.Just went back to Mid's and now see Cold has no Resistance to S/L.I will have to
make a few Sonic Resonance and Thermal characters.Now I'm wondering why I did't see more Thermal and Sonic Resonance Defenders and Controllers.With one FF Defender,one Sonic Resonance and one Thermal the
rest of the team could build for recharge/damage without having to use many slots for Def/Res.There are so
many ways to build I am not sure what to add as a forth.Dark,Cold,or Traps I guess because the team would not need a Emp.Please hurry back CoH I still have so many team and power combinations to try :)

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 12:32:37 AM »
Now I'm wondering why I did't see more Thermal and Sonic Resonance Defenders and Controllers.With one FF Defender,one Sonic Resonance and one Thermal the rest of the team could build for recharge/damage without having to use many slots for Def/Res.

Thermal was pretty boring to play and a lot of players hated the sound effects of anything sonic.  Thermal+Sonic+FF would have been great for pre-made teams, maybe supergroups that played together all the time.  But after i9, seems like it was mostly, "Looking for players to do X," and team with whomever responded.  The trinity of tank/heal/dps wasn't as important. 

I wonder what the ultimate/best-all-round team would be comprised of... Which combination of ATs and primary/secondary powersets to be able to plow through any mission, trial, TF, maybe even dominate a PVP zone.  Be able to beat down a +4 archvillain like he's a minion.  What group of 8 would be able to do a Rikti Raid as easily as a raid team of 48 players, do incarnate trials without breaking a sweat.

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 12:44:38 AM »
My thoughts were trying to find more resistance and enough Defense to make teams really hard to kill.With enough Defenders with Defense and Resistance Shield powers you would have a whole team of Stone tanks
was what I was thinking.I always ran with teams so I hope I can see how this would work especially on a team without a lot of IO's.