Author Topic: Who is Penelope Yin???  (Read 5780 times)

adgramaine

• Underling
Who is Penelope Yin???
« on: March 26, 2016, 06:25:14 AM »
Greetings Heroes!

Considering that I Beta'ed all the CoX games, I should know this, but I don't remember ever seeing her in-game. Does anyone know what her Archetype and Power Sets were?

I ask because I am currently converting CoX into a table top rpg using the Cypher System by Monte Cook. So far, it fits amazingly. But I am trying to get accurate info for as many characters as possible.

Thanks, and Cheers!
Game Designer for Haphazard Projects

Original Tester for the CoX Games

Most Played Character: the Kwipster

ricodah

• Boss
Re: Who is Penelope Yin???
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 06:42:11 AM »
Penelope Yin started as a contact for missions in Faultline. She was the one the Clockwork King was madly in love with.  Yin later became part of the Freedom Phalanx and took over the Sister Pysch TF after the first Signature Story Arc.  She had psychic abilities though I do not recall what powers.

You can probably find a lot of detail about Penelope on Paragonwiki.

adgramaine

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 06:49:56 AM »
ParagonWiki is disturbingly empty of any info for Young... Thanks for the info though!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 06:56:22 AM »
Paragon wiki has her as having standard psi powers but I could have sworn she showed up in some arc or other with some of the psionic melee powers that never got onto the live servers.

adgramaine

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 07:14:39 AM »
Hmm. If no one knows the details, I guess I'll have to take artistic licence....

Anyone else have something to add...? Please?   8)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 08:22:29 AM »
Oh, let's see what I can remember...

Pretty sure her powers were pretty much standard Psi.  (Both Primal and Praetorian.)

Daughter of Wu Yin in both realities.  Wu ran the grocery store Penny stood outside in Faultline on Primal Earth.  Wu was the head of the Syndicate and Yin Corp. on Praetorian Earth.

Although never revealed on Primal Earth, Praetorian Penny's mother (and Wu's ex-wife) was Vanessa DeVore.

The Clockwork King was obsessed with young Penny and considered her his queen.  She proves to be a calming influence on him and there are signs in her story arc that she might be able to rehabilitate him (partially, anyway.)

In Praetoria, Metronome (Clockwork King's counterpart) was working with the Syndicate to free Penny from the psychic network.  (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Penelope_Yin_%28Praetorian%29)  Wu, however, wanted her freed for the purpose of controlling the rest of the psychics.  (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mr._G_%28Primal_Earth%29)

Can't recall too much more at the moment.  A bit rusty with the passage of time, and all.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 02:47:23 PM »
Primal Penny did use Psionic Melee in an Issue 24 story arc, similar to the player powerset you can see in Icon. I don't recall the details - which powers she had, whether the animations were customized, etc.

indiramourning

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 06:21:57 PM »
Might find these links useful:

http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/heroes/2012/06/whats-the-matter-with-penelope-yin.html

http://dna-1.deviantart.com/art/Penelope-Yin-311189377

One of the much later comics was devoted to her (I might be remembering wrong), but I can't find it online.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 06:31:12 PM »
Adult Penelope didn't have Psionic Melee, but rather her own unique set. Her psi-blades were quite different than the Psi Melee player set that was in development. Her ranged powers are also unlike any of the player psionic sets, and on top of that she got a unique pet.

Here's a list of her powers:
https://tomax.cohtitan.com/data/powers/summon.php?id=FreedomPhalanx_PenelopeYin

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 10:22:07 PM »
Knew it was some stuff I'd not seen before. I wanna play her set.

adgramaine

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 01:00:49 AM »
Thanks everyone - I think that's enough for me to pull of a conversion!

Cheers!

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 07:50:29 AM »
She had a terrible costume.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 06:37:52 PM »
Here's a list of her powers:
I'm kicking myself for forgetting to look at Tomax.  So very rusty.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »
ParagonWiki is disturbingly empty of any info for Young... Thanks for the info though!

Yeah, the Freedom Phalanx version is lacking mostly because I created it half a year after the game was closed, and hadn't played anything that had her as a contact or character. People should add to it: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Penelope_Yin_(Freedom_Phalanx)
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 11:20:30 PM »
Don't forget that Penelope had to be rescued from the Clockwork King in one of the missions of the Lady Grey Task Force.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 11:32:02 PM »
Penelope Yin started as a contact for missions in Faultline. She was the one the Clockwork King was madly in love with.  Yin later became part of the Freedom Phalanx and took over the Sister Pysch TF after the first Signature Story Arc.  She had psychic abilities though I do not recall what powers.

You can probably find a lot of detail about Penelope on Paragonwiki.

Penelope Yin's abilities were basically unique after they recreated her for Going Rogue and she shared some that the new version of mother mayhem powers. Damn devs even gave her the psychic blades I always wanted :( She's a great character and a cutie too.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 01:03:11 AM »
Don't forget that Penelope had to be rescued from the Clockwork King in one of the missions of the Lady Grey Task Force.

Technically, she ASKED Clockwork King to rescue her after the Rikti kidnapped her. He was just a bit too ... enthusiastic about it.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 04:17:22 AM »
Penelope Yin's psychic powers is the City of Heroes version of Psylocke in X-Men.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 11:25:57 PM »
She also had a nice little bro and sis relationship going with Fusionette and Faultline 2, it is a shame things closed down before the pair became Yin sidekicks officially..and made into official vindicators.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 12:36:25 AM »
I always wanted them to do more with, lore wise, Flower Knight.  She started out as your first mission in "Outbreak" the CoH tutorial.  When Galaxy City became the new tutorial, she was move to Ouroborus for no reason.  And she stood around with nothing to do.  One idea I had was to have her the trainer in Atlas Park.  That way Ms. Liberty would be in only 2 places at once instead of three.  Another idea would be to put her in Perez Park as an important contact with a story arc and maybe a temporary power gift like whats-her-face on Striga.  Maybe move Back Alley Brawler to Perez as well, or Boomtown.  He is more of a Boomtown kind of guy.