Author Topic: Carbine (Wildstar) Studio Layoffs  (Read 3895 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: Carbine (Wildstar) Studio Layoffs
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 02:45:52 AM »
I read somewhere that Wild star was dead last in NCSoft's profit margins fairly recently, I think on a GW2 forum post, came across it by accident.

Here it is, I kind of came across this by accident while lurking on their boards.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Ncsoft-s-earnings-4Q-2015

:/
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 03:28:39 AM »
Anyone else getting that old feeling this will not end well for this game?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 04:22:49 AM »
Shoot, I had that feeling before it went live.  I just hope they can exercise their (alleged) buy-out option.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:40:50 AM »
Ultimately, Wildstar was doomed the moment they decided to cater to the hardcore raiding crowd which has never been as big a group as it sounds. It only became more doomed when they got NCSoft publishing the game and even more so later when they refused to go back on almost any of the hardcore stuff post-launch after the game flopped.

And with the looks of those earnings reports, I have to wonder if they'd even have enough money to exercise a buy-out option if one exists. Considering how much NCSoft allegedly wanted for CoH, I'd hate to think what they'd want for a game that's still running.

Surelle

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 01:23:50 AM »
I'm kind of surprised *anyone* these days would sign on with NCSoft, to be honest.  But Hindsight is 20/20 for Carbine now, I guess.

According to Polygon,

"Those remaining only have a couple months left before Wildstar 'coasts into the sunset,'" one source told us. All of the sources we spoke with asked to remain anonymous.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/11/11208284/wildstar-developer-carbine-studios-layoffs

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 05:08:09 AM »
I read somewhere that Wild star was dead last in NCSoft's profit margins fairly recently, I think on a GW2 forum post, came across it by accident.

Here it is, I kind of came across this by accident while lurking on their boards.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Ncsoft-s-earnings-4Q-2015

:/

Again, not PROFITS, INCOME.  NCSOFT doesn't really reveal profits of individual games or studios.  WildStar did get a bump in 4Q2015 but it was still nothing to right home about.  Certainly not with all the hype that was poured into promoting the game pre-launch.  The mea culpa and the F2P relaunch may simply be too late.  The surrender of the China port is interesting but perhaps SciFi, cartoony didn't test well there.

So yeah, they are in maintenance/minimal content development stage and downsized appropriately.  And it doesn't help that BnS being released now in NA/EU will have monthly if not more frequent updates as it catches up to the current state of the game in Korea/China.  We all know players love to chew through content and releasing updates of content will keep BnS in the news while WildStar struggles on.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 02:44:22 PM »
The F2P launch was a disaster. I tried it and with the multiple random disconnects and latency of up to 10 seconds on skill use it was impossible to play. I never went back after trying it a couple of times. i'd imagine that happened with a lot of people.

I expect the new moba/arpg Master X Master will replace Wildstar in their current games lineup