Author Topic: Density control  (Read 1638 times)

Cheesy

• Underling
Density control
« on: June 10, 2018, 05:48:37 PM »
Looking at this old 2001 page of pre-release powers, did density control exist at all in the early versions?

http://web.archive.org/web/20011216072531/http://www.cityofheroes.com:80/powers.htm

"With this amazing power the hero can alter his molecular density. Lessening density means physical attacks pass right through the hero and he can even walk through certain doors. It also allows the hero to make a phasing attack by striking at an enemy and partially raising the density of his fist after it has penetrated the target. High Density on the other hand makes the hero incredibly tough and resilient to all kinds of damage. It also means the character's movement rate is significantly reduced. While a versatile and potent power, using Density Control takes a lot out of a hero and has a high Endurance cost to maintain."

I wonder if this became gravity control?

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
Re: Density control
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 05:57:55 PM »
Sounds more like an armor type to mimic characters like Vision and Blob. It also sounds like it was taken out of the HERO rules.

KidKourage

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:10:52 PM »
Never saw a density control.  There was a gravity control for Controllers and Dominators that had some phasing powers that used to make me think of The Vision - only that was more about 'caging' a foe.  Then there was the Phase Shift at the top end of the Concealment pool, which had such a long recycle time you couldn't do much but escape a wipe (why can't I walk through these walls again?).  A defensive power set built on this premise - lots of defense mixed with a couple phase outs - would have been awesome.  I could see tankers working phase shift with taunt as easily as stalkers working it with placate.  Maybe not much on the regen angle, but still nice.  Those intangibility enhancements always seemed so lonely.  Such a small segment of the player base messing with that kind of thing.  Sandman, ghostly fadeouts; all sorts of great themes could have been worked into this.  Sigh.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 03:24:32 AM »
CoH already had Density, why some of the PUG's I've been on were very dense indeed.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 06:52:35 AM »
buh dum tish

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 01:10:34 PM »
Despite the name, Density Control sounds more like a Defensive set than a Control set, with a "stance" system similar to much later sets like Bio Armor.

This must have been from way back when the powers system was going to be free-form rather than arranged into Archetypes.  Even familiar-sounding sets sound like they were going to have very different implementations.