Author Topic: Deadpool  (Read 7662 times)

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
Deadpool
« on: February 11, 2016, 07:26:45 PM »
Remember when we saw the first trailer and everybody was like "pleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuck"?
Well, I just got back from the cinema and can tell you, no it does not suck.
In fact, I'd say Deadpool is the best super hero comic movie so far... like it's right from the pages*.
Spoiler for Hidden:
What I quite liked (besides everything), was that at the end Vanessa had a few strands of white hair.

Also, best Stan Lee cameo ever. 8)

*there are some tweaks to Wade's story, but that's to be expected.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:55:58 PM by Nos482 »
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Deadpool
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:42:54 PM »
Good to hear.  Really looking forward to it.  Every trailer, wacky spot, and commercial I've seen has been awesome.  Moreover, the passion which Reynolds evidences in every interview I've seen is infectious.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:00:17 PM »
Good to hear.  Really looking forward to it.  Every trailer, wacky spot, and commercial I've seen has been awesome.  Moreover, the passion which Reynolds evidences in every interview I've seen is infectious.
I have read repeatedly that the wacky spots & shorter commercials were Reynolds doing these things in and around his & friends' homes, with one of the suits he took from the set, then bringing it to the producers. (He deserved that suit tbh.) I can't find any verifiable source for these rumors, but I hope so hard it's true, because that is beyond awesome.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:22:20 PM »
There was a Deadpool in the Wolverine Origins film. I assume this Deadpool has nothing to do with that since they had a few reboots already with the younger cast.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 09:26:40 PM »
There was a Deadpool in the Wolverine Origins film. I assume this Deadpool has nothing to do with that since they had a few reboots already with the younger cast.
Yes, that was a different actor, director, & writers.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »
I thought it was Reynolds in that movie - at least as Wade Wilson, before they completely screwed up the character.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 09:32:59 PM »
*checks IMDB* Oops. My mistake. It *was* Reynolds as DP in Origins. Did not enjoy the (brief) performance at all, but it looks like a different director & writers makes all the difference in the world.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 10:05:59 PM »
So I guess that old Deadpool is in whatever alternate universe those batches of X-Men films are from.
Cleary since Days its been a new universe. (Since Trask in Days was played by a little person and in the X-Men films Trask was a large, black man.)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 12:33:05 AM »
Reynolds makes fun of that appearance in Origins almost as often as he makes fun of the Green Lantern movie.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 01:24:07 AM »
Reynolds makes fun of that appearance in Origins almost as often as he makes fun of the Green Lantern movie.

Looks like he redeemed himself for at least one of those.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 01:31:12 AM »
(Since Trask in Days was played by a little person and in the X-Men films Trask was a large, black man.)
It's called a retcon ;)
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 01:44:32 AM »
Nah, a proper retcon should explain the inconsistency. For example, maybe the short guy was really a robot vehicle, and the tall guy was crouched down inside, operating it.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:18 AM »
Nah, a proper retcon should explain the inconsistency. For example, maybe the short guy was really a robot vehicle, and the tall guy was crouched down inside, operating it.
It doesn't need to. A retcon is literally "retroactive continuity" - replacing one thing with another thing. Does not need explanation.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 11:07:57 AM »
Saw it.  Hubby took me to it.

This movie is so damned good it completely redeemed him from the disastrous birthday (mine) when he took me to the Dungeons and Dragons movie, and put him squarely in the black.

Absolutely perfect performances.  Perfect script.  Lives up to every one of those trailers, and then tops it.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »

This movie is so damned good

Totally agree haven't laughed so much in a long time. :)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 09:42:58 PM »
Was that supposed to be a heli-carrier in the scrapyard?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 05:33:44 AM »
Was that supposed to be a heli-carrier in the scrapyard?

As a matter of fact, it was!
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 07:09:38 AM »
I have to say, its been a long time since a movie got me to laugh starting with the opening "credits". :-)   
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 07:04:32 AM »
I agree I really enjoyed this.  Ryan Reynolds nailed Deadpool this time around.  I was hoping it would truly capture the spirit of Deadpool and it didn't let me down in the slightest.  It exceeded my expectations.  Best comic book movie sense Guardians of the Galaxy.  In many way's I enjoyed it more.  The lack of a serious tone was refreshing.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I can't help but laugh when I think of that scene on the bridge where he keeps breaking his limbs on Colossus

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 09:33:25 PM »
From the opening credits to the post credit stinger it was great.  The references to Green Lantern and Wolverine Origins, Hugh Jackman, the destroyed helicarrier, the seemingly intentionally grainy stock footage from the X-Men movies was all great.  And I'm pretty sure Stan enjoyed his cameo in this movie.  Only downside is some of his best lines were already spoiled by the trailers and the original "leaked" short.

Neediess to say, not a film for the little ones.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 02:28:32 AM »
It's funny how the first Deadpool in Origins is exactly opposite of what makes him great - a wise cracking talker.

Who thought that was a good idea to make that Deadpool basically the Super Skrull.

Which is why most Fox Marvel films fail - except of course this one.

Maybe they learned a lesson this time and the NEXT FF reboot movie will get it right.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 03:46:43 AM »
It's funny how the first Deadpool in Origins is exactly opposite of what makes him great - a wise cracking talker.

Who thought that was a good idea to make that Deadpool basically the Super Skrull.

Which is why most Fox Marvel films fail - except of course this one.

Maybe they learned a lesson this time and the NEXT FF reboot movie will get it right.

Nah.  The next FF film will have sex scenes between Reed and Sue, and between Ben and Alicia.  Johnny will burn villains alive and make jokes to the camera as they run around screaming.  And Doom will use twin pistols.  This is Fox we are talking about.  They will completely miss the reason why Deadpool is popular and will attempt to graft all its features onto other superhero movies.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 05:50:03 AM »
Hell, if FOX had allegedly gotten their way without a gratuitous battle being waged on Deadpool's behalf, it wouldn't even have been made.  And even then, it apparently was quite the struggle to get FOX to let it be made properly.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »
Finally saw Deadpool, it was laugh out loud funny and not as violent as I was expecting.

I had one question about the timing of events.  It seemed like Colossus knew Wade, but where did they meet for the first time?  I got the impression that after Wade's escape, he went directly to tracking down Francis, but when Colossus showed up at the highway chase, they seemed to know each other.  Wade seemed to know who the X-Men were and where their home was.  When did they meet for the first time?

Maybe my memory is incorrect and I should watch it again.  Does anyone else have a clearer memory?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 10:06:29 PM »
Deadpool's known the X-men practically since his debut, but asking for a coherent timeline for Deadpool doesn't really work at all since his history is constantly retconned and the book's constantly riffing on comic continuity (or the lack thereof) - e.g. his daughter was the result of an affair he had in an issue that had him teaming (not through time travel either) with full on blaxploitation/kung fu Power Man and Iron Fist in the 70s, yet she was still a kid in the 2010's.

As far as the movies go I guess we're to assume anyone based in NY who makes as much of a mess as Deadpool would run into the X-men at some point.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 01:36:32 AM »
And just over two hours till the digital version I preordered is available.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 05:40:02 AM »
I had one question about the timing of events. 

Colossus mentioned they previously tried to recruit Deadpool to be an X-men. Near the end of the movie, DP says it was a rough 2 years to Vanessa so there was a considerable amount of time between flashbacks and present day.  Deadpool looking for Francis was a lot longer than the 5 minutes shown on screen, his crazy wall sort of indicates this as well.