Author Topic: Tech devices  (Read 3255 times)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
Tech devices
« on: January 11, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
I wish I knew how to set up a poll off the top of my head - but I'm kind of curious -

How many people use their desktops for email? And, is it the primary tool you use to write and read e-mails?

And - how many use a smart phone for streaming videos from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.?

I heard on the radio that the use of a PC is considered antiquated. I was stunned. I only use my smart phone for google maps and to call people. I'll text when necessary, and check email on it if I'm traveling, but other than that - I'm on my PC every day. But, I guess at 49, I'm a bit antiquated  myself.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Re: Tech devices
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 01:52:42 AM »
I use my smartphone if I'm out and about, but at home I find it much easier to browse the net and send/receive emails on my PC at home, as does my husband.  And I just can't imagine trying to watch movies on a tiny smartphone screen, if you had a choice to watch it on something larger. 

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:10:06 AM »
I use my desktop extensively. I am sitting at it for at least an hour a day, if not multiple hours. I don't check my email on my phone at all, even though I have it linked up. I use my phone for calling, texting, light browsing of facebook/internet, YouTube meandering, and Pandora/IHeartRadio.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 04:42:10 AM »
I divide my time between my desktop PC and my little 2nd generation SurfacePro tablet (The toy I got to replace my laptop-). I can write, do basic  image editing, browse or go through email equally well on either. I don't typically stream movies or TV shows at all, though I do use iTunes on both for background music pretty often. I still need my larger desktop monitor for serious graphics work, but everything else is just as easy to do on the smaller machine.

I'm a total Luddite when it comes to phones. I do have a Windows smart-phone, but all I ever do with it is... use it as a phone. If I want music on the go, that's what my iPod Nano is for. XD
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
I usually check email from my laptop... while docked at my desk, so it might as well be my desktop.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

DoctorHugh

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 09:28:02 PM »
Well, if I am anywhere near my desk, that's what I use. Why wouldn't I be using the comfy chair, 22" screen, mouse and full keyboard instead of trying to sprain a finger typing on a smartphone?

If no computer is handy, I'll use the smartphone, but it's not my gadget of choice.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 04:50:43 PM »
PC exclusively. Phone is for phone calls and/or texting.

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 10:08:45 PM »
I use IPhone  for 90% of everything I typically only get access to PC on weekends or late at night and  I'm to tired to  do much then,

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 11:09:45 PM »
I use my phone, tablet, and laptop (as a desktop, but purchased for travel if needed) depending on my mood / app needed / which is available (so when I'm out and about, it's my phone). I don't stream videos, except for when I miss The Flash at its regular time. Certain functions only work on desktop (like adding filters in gmail) so I naturally use my laptop for that.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 11:02:45 AM »
I finally have a new gaming desktop...my old putersaurus died after 12 years. I use it for all my email/internet stuff. My phone is only for calls and texting.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 04:18:28 PM »
The main reason to still use a keyboard and therefore a PC or laptop is for typing. I friggin HATE to thumb-type and tap on a pop-up on-screen keyboard. it takes at least 4 times as long as good old-fashioned typing. Of course you can TALK to most of the little devices, but for writing forum posts and such it will auto-correct and mis-guess to the point of making you look insane. No thanks!

Plus, a good old-fashioned desktop with a mid-to-high graphics card will cost around $500 with a 27" monitor. Laptops with decent graphics cost at least $1000 and the screens are now the limiting factor in usability.

If you travel a lot, then a laptop makes sense. I don't. I actually work from home, so I go with the most usable available device, which also happens to have the most bang for the buck. That's the desktop PC. I only use the phone to google something when I'm away from home, or to stream something on Spotify that I don't already have on my car's USB stick. (yay for unlimited data)

But here's the funny thing. What do you consider a "computer" these days? I have a desktop, work laptop, nexus 7 tablet, kindle fire tablet, kindle e-reader, work blackberry, iphone 5s, Roku and Tivo, all of which are really computers in the classic sense. That's like 9 computers (in various forms) for 2 people.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »
PC exclusively. Phone is for phone calls and/or texting.

Pretty much same. Texting is good enough for short messages, and I don't want to be bothering with long messages on a small screen even with a slide-out keyboard.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:06:30 PM »
I use my desktop for everything, and the tablet if I'm away from the desktop.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot