Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 273826 times)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #940 on: December 06, 2021, 04:40:29 AM »
After several years away, I finally decide to log back in. I was shocked by how many missions they took out. They really gutted the Klingon arc. I knew of the Romulan and Cardassian arcs being gutted. What are these devs even thinking. If they are thinking that is.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #941 on: December 07, 2021, 08:56:56 PM »
Pfft try playing Neverwinter.

They've managed to systematically suck nearly all the fun out of NW random queues, which, is pretty much 99% of what I did. It's common practice to fail and/or bail half of what pops and the odds are even lower that you'll have much of any fun when your done. As for gutted content - NW removed a fair amount of zones including some of the nicer ones like Sharandar. I honestly don't miss them. I didn't miss the old mishes they dumped in STO either when I was still playing. I don't generally do much in old zones or old mishes but I'm not for dumping them either especially if they have some kind of sentimentality attached to them (f/x Sharandar was peaceful and purdy! or if a mish or zone drops something special).

I logged onto STO fairly recently to grab a freebie and was happily surprised to see I'm still in a Fleet! They used to kick people all the time for inactivity and I haven't played for a couple of years either. I didn't stop playing because the fun was gone I just wanted to finally try Neverwinter and then kept on playing it.

Now I mostly play a web based game that I saw advertised when playing Windows Solitaire... Forge of Empires. And a little bit Elvenar, which is pretty much the same thing from the same company. I really hadn't planned on playing either for more than a few hours at most but here we are some weeks later and I'm still playing them. Just got me a Santa's Workshop in FoE that's fairly uber! My first uberloot. It's the time for Winter Holliday events ya know.

But back to Cryptic devs... If you want some especially brutal ones go play Neverwinter. You'll get best results if you are addicted to gambling in any way (lockboxes) and if you just don't mind spending your money on things that were imaginary to begin with but also have a short lifespan and quickly lose even their virtual value. They don't just take away your mishes and zones and gear but they change entire rulesets/the game's core on a regular basis. Hadn't really affected me much until they ruined the random queues and if you don't think they're ruined just take a few hours and try to get through each of them without frustration and other negativity which can be summed up as: a general waste of time that you won't even enjoy.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #942 on: December 07, 2021, 10:22:32 PM »
I tried Neverwinter a few years ago, and nopped out of it. Sound like the devs on both of these games need to remove their heads from their butts. They turned games into unfun affairs. I remember they took out the player made missions, that alone is a sin all its own. The only reason I login to STO and champions is just to keep my lifetime subs.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #943 on: December 09, 2021, 07:06:09 PM »
I'd probably be playing STO right now if it wasn't for my mom. I'm ~ 99.978% sure.

When she had her own business and no one had a computer I wrote some bookkeeping software for her that she used nightly but she never played anything until now and it's kinda cool to see her take off with it. She's a total newb in every sense of the word...lol..but she's having fun and has stuck with it for like a year now and so I stick around. I've managed to take a couple of week break and am hoping some of the magic will be back when I start playing more again. My guild is full of people who I don't know in an Alliance full of people I don't know, so that surely hasn't been a draw and I'm not looking forward to trying the queues again either.

I didn't leave STO due to unfunness or disimmersion (such as the above) but I've been gone from it long enough to become de-immersed. When it came to loot I always thought STO devs were the wizards of it and I did enjoy/do miss those queues...

Whenever you remove content it's gonna rub someone wrong, though. I can never remember a time it didn't.

That's the thing with games is once they touch a nerve... like with the daily retcons in CO... or the missing missions in STO... or ruining the queues in NW... turning out the lights in CoH..... you lose immersion. Once immersion is gone it's game over. If you're lucky you come back someday and the magic returns.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #944 on: December 13, 2021, 10:44:45 PM »
I'd probably be playing STO right now if it wasn't for my mom. I'm ~ 99.978% sure.

When she had her own business and no one had a computer I wrote some bookkeeping software for her that she used nightly but she never played anything until now and it's kinda cool to see her take off with it. She's a total newb in every sense of the word...lol..but she's having fun and has stuck with it for like a year now and so I stick around. I've managed to take a couple of week break and am hoping some of the magic will be back when I start playing more again. My guild is full of people who I don't know in an Alliance full of people I don't know, so that surely hasn't been a draw and I'm not looking forward to trying the queues again either.

I didn't leave STO due to unfunness or disimmersion (such as the above) but I've been gone from it long enough to become de-immersed. When it came to loot I always thought STO devs were the wizards of it and I did enjoy/do miss those queues...

Whenever you remove content it's gonna rub someone wrong, though. I can never remember a time it didn't.

That's the thing with games is once they touch a nerve... like with the daily retcons in CO... or the missing missions in STO... or ruining the queues in NW... turning out the lights in CoH..... you lose immersion. Once immersion is gone it's game over. If you're lucky you come back someday and the magic returns.

Thank you, for this. Taking out missions and/or areas and adding nothing to replace it. Shows weakness in the dev teams. I remember player created missions, that could have help. Yet, the devs thought it would be awesome to yeet this away.

One thing though. While City of. is offically gone, it is back. And I'm happy about this. I do get your sentiments though.

As for Neverwinter, let me guess their reasoning. "We want to update these zones to the current level of value." "So instead of leaving these areas up. We're taking them down."

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #945 on: December 15, 2021, 10:10:45 PM »

As for Neverwinter, let me guess their reasoning. "We want to update these zones to the current level of value." "So instead of leaving these areas up. We're taking them down."

No idea on the reasoning. I just read Patch Notes and play until the sighing and cursing time becomes > fun time, or, there's an Act of God. Sometimes I come back.. Haven't lately.

Haven't left NW yet! Would rather not. We'll see what it's like after a lil break that was longer than the last lil break.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #946 on: January 25, 2022, 07:20:38 PM »
Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #947 on: October 14, 2022, 06:20:41 AM »
Well it's been 4 years since cryptic took out these missions and STILL have not returned them. Why don't they just say they aren't coming back. I should know that this is so like cryptic. They did the same thing to City of. They only worked on that game so they could sale it.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #948 on: October 27, 2022, 02:38:10 PM »
If you want REAL disappointment from a Trek game try playing Star Trek Fleet Command. It's an abomination of everything trek stands for and has the absolute worse support ever.
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #949 on: August 16, 2023, 10:25:26 PM »
... I've gotten myself re-addicted to this this year. :D

I've been making new characters for the various Recruitment events, and doing missions and mission arcs I haven't done in years.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #950 on: August 19, 2023, 05:46:46 AM »
Yeah this is a great game.

I'm not playing since a year or so ago but did sneak on not toooo long ago during a Klingon recruit event and snagged a coupon for a free T6. Have at least 1 free experimental slot waiting in inventory and I dunno what else.

Sometimes I wish I'd have never left. Went to try something new I'd really been wanting to try and the next thing I knew a year or two passed and I was un-immersed. I'm really good at that..

Grats on re-immersion.
Some Faves: