Author Topic: Heads up, Steam users: Avoid Steam right now (Christmas), it's being hacked.  (Read 3114 times)

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
Just a heads up, if one tries to go to the store atm it'll likely be in a foreign language and folks have reported being able to log into others' accounts and see account details. After Steam's been fixed, be sure to check your transaction history, change your password, and keep an eye on your credit card.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Was wondering what the deal was when I got spanish steam and some games showing up as owned I don't have. Hopefully steam guard and 2 factor verification should still work.

edit - it's a planned attack by a supposedly white hat hacker group.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:07:22 PM by Vee »

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Was wondering what the deal was when I got spanish steam and some games showing up as owned I don't have. Hopefully steam guard and 2 factor verification should still work.

edit - it's a planned attack by a supposedly white hat hacker group.

Maybe I'm interpreting the concept wrong, but wouldn't a cyber attack like this make them just straight up black hat hackers...?

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
According to what folks on the internet (where everything one reads is true!) are writing, it wasn't actually a hack but rather Steam's own database malfunctioning and caching stuff it shouldn't have (or something along those techno mumbo jumbo lines). As far as I know Valve hasn't released an official announcement though, so take that with a grain of salt. Still, folks had personal info leaked so be wary.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Maybe I'm interpreting the concept wrong, but wouldn't a cyber attack like this make them just straight up black hat hackers...?

well they claim to do it to show everyone it can be done, etc. who knows.

all i know is if we can't get our 3 cards sometime today or get a day added there's going to be heaps of raaaaaage :P

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
Apparently the issue's been resolved, Steam's back to normal. Still, be wary.

well they claim to do it to show everyone it can be done, etc. who knows.

all i know is if we can't get our 3 cards sometime today or get a day added there's going to be heaps of raaaaaage :P

Hmm... addictive trading card collection... rage and addiction... superdine... trolls... steam forums... it all makes sense now! Steam is clearly all part of a Nemesis plot and Half-life 3 is confirmed!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Apparently the issue's been resolved, Steam's back to normal. Still, be wary.

Hmm... addictive trading card collection... rage and addiction... superdine... trolls... steam forums... it all makes sense now! Steam is clearly all part of a Nemesis plot and Half-life 3 is confirmed!

It's an PR stunt for the re-launch of City of Heroes.
(Well, that's what I want for Christmas.)