Author Topic: Man in the High Castle  (Read 2893 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Man in the High Castle
« on: December 08, 2015, 04:41:57 PM »
Anyone watching this? Its on Amazon Prime but I'm sure it's on the net someplace to watch.

I love it so far - they had 10 episodes and I just started watching ep 7.

In case no one knows - its based on the book by Philip K. Dick and takes place in 1962 or 63 on a world where the Germans and Japanese won WW2 and divided up the US into two parts = one run by each country. Hitler is still alive and running things.

But there is a book going around that tells a story of a different world where the Allies won. (ours).

In the show, they changed it to a film so its more visual. The films have actual 1940's newsreel footage of historical events that never happened on that world.

And the mysterious man in the High Castle is supposed to be collecting these films.

Its a really well done show and very convincing of a Nazi-fied and Japanese USA.

Good thing is I read the book like 20 years ago so I really don't remember the story well, so it's like seeing for the first time.

hurple

• Elite Boss
Re: Man in the High Castle
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »
One of my favorite books.

Loving the show.  Very well done, very well cast, and very well acted.

I just finished episode 7 last night.  Episode 8 tonight, maybe.  If I can find the time.

My only concern is that so far not much has really happened.  I need to see more movement or I might lose interest after the initial 10 episodes.  The last 3 need to ramp up the intrigue and give me some more action from the resistance.   ;D

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:48:15 PM »
I really like the American Nazi - John. He does a great job with the part.

They all do.

Are the 10 episodes the whole thing, or just the first half?

I'm glad I don't remember a lot of details from the book, otherwise I might get distracted with what is changed and modified from the book.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 02:43:14 AM »
I'm glad I don't remember a lot of details from the book, otherwise I might get distracted with what is changed and modified from the book.

Having not read or seen either version, I will say that the Philip K. Dick adaptations I've seen tend to be best when they take the premise and run with it, rather than trying to be exceedingly faithful to the story. Minority Report comes to mind as a perfect example of that: the Dick story and the movie are about a police chief whose precogs pin him for a future murder... and that's about it. And they're both fantastic.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
Having not read or seen either version, I will say that the Philip K. Dick adaptations I've seen tend to be best when they take the premise and run with it, rather than trying to be exceedingly faithful to the story. Minority Report comes to mind as a perfect example of that: the Dick story and the movie are about a police chief whose precogs pin him for a future murder... and that's about it. And they're both fantastic.

Well, since the book is really a novella, and they've so far wrung a 10 hour-long episode story out of it... I think they took the premise and ran with it. 

And about what happened to John in episode 8.  Ha Ha... you reap what you sow. 

Oh, and always nice to see DJ Qualls get work.  I went to school with his brother and my brother went to school with DJ.  I really enjoy seeing a local boy do so good.  And, man, can he act when he wants to.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 02:28:59 PM »
Finally finished all 10 episodes.

Fantastic. Loved, loved the cliffhanger!

I hope that this show still goes on and doesn't get dropped. I really want to see how it turns out.

Now I have to go dig out the novel and re-read that as well.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
The Man in the High Castle filmed a scene around the area of where I work and rented a portion of our parking lot.  When we were signing the agreement and handing me a check, I asked about the show.  His response was, "If you get the chance, watch it.  It's going to be really good."

Your posts has convinced me to give it a try. 

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 10:06:39 PM »
The Man in the High Castle filmed a scene around the area of where I work and rented a portion of our parking lot.  When we were signing the agreement and handing me a check, I asked about the show.  His response was, "If you get the chance, watch it.  It's going to be really good."

Your posts has convinced me to give it a try.

It's a little slow, being a drama. But its a really convincing Axis controlled United States.

Lot's of great acting too

Even the opening credits are really good.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 03:18:57 PM »
Oh, man... the last minute has me anxious to see "season 2"

Spoiler for Hidden:
Can't wait to see how one of the characters from that world deals with our world, and what it makes him think of his world.  I hope more make the transition.  Would love to see John Smith in our world.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 04:02:11 PM »
Oh, man... the last minute has me anxious to see "season 2"

Spoiler for Hidden:
Can't wait to see how one of the characters from that world deals with our world, and what it makes him think of his world.  I hope more make the transition.  Would love to see John Smith in our world.

Quite a cliffhanger, as I said.

Spoiler for Hidden:
You could see how they made our world all brighter and colorful and full of life and happiness, with the rock music playing in the street.
A big contrast to the drab, lifeless Japanese American Territory.

Obviously to the Trade Minister this world should seem better. Japan is still a huge world power, and prospering without being under threatof war with the Nazi's. I will bet he would help Julianna and the others once he gets back.

And seeing an older Hitler was rather interesting.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 08:02:40 PM »
Quite a cliffhanger, as I said.

Spoiler for Hidden:
You could see how they made our world all brighter and colorful and full of life and happiness, with the rock music playing in the street.
A big contrast to the drab, lifeless Japanese American Territory.

Obviously to the Trade Minister this world should seem better. Japan is still a huge world power, and prospering without being under threatof war with the Nazi's. I will bet he would help Julianna and the others once he gets back.

And seeing an older Hitler was rather interesting.

Spoiler for Hidden:
It was a bit, um, uncomfortable how "likable" they made Hitler out to be... to me. 

And the trade minister didn't seem that far off from joining the resistance already.  He looked mighty uncomfortable with the way things were going in his world *before* seeing ours.

Yes, this is a good show.  Not surprised no network would pick it up though.  Ha!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:24:51 PM by Aggelakis »

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 08:37:13 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
It was a bit, um, uncomfortable how "likable" they made Hitler out to be... to me. 

And the trade minister didn't seem that far off from joining the resistance already.  He looked mighty uncomfortable with the way things were going in his world *before* seeing ours.

Yes, this is a good show.  Not surprised no network would pick it up though.  Ha!

Spoiler for Hidden:
As far as Hitler goes. You could say he's not the same as ours since he is like 20 years older and was victorious, so maybe he's mellowed out a bit over the years.

And the Trade Minister certainly is not happy in the current situation. I suspect he had some gut feeling about Jules, which is why he tried to help her and was nice to her. Probably picked up some vibes from the jewelry.

Would be fun if in our world he met that version of Jules or someone else he knows.