Author Topic: New Dawn of Justice Trailer  (Read 23398 times)

CG

• Elite Boss
Re: New Dawn of Justice Trailer
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2016, 12:48:44 AM »
I'll just leave this here:

https://youtu.be/aBJyp2LFHgk

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2016, 01:12:06 AM »
'Batman: The Animated Series' is really all the Batman anyone needs.

When you think what a really good job the DCAU did with Superman/Batman it seems a real shame they didn't simply take the script from "World's Finest" and shoot it live action.

(World's Finest -- the 3 episode meeting of Superman and Batman in "Superman: the Animated Series")

I mean, I had small issues with the Bruce/Lois romance element, but it was still a terrific story.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2016, 01:56:38 AM »
When you think what a really good job the DCAU did with Superman/Batman it seems a real shame they didn't simply take the script from "World's Finest" and shoot it live action.

(World's Finest -- the 3 episode meeting of Superman and Batman in "Superman: the Animated Series")

I mean, I had small issues with the Bruce/Lois romance element, but it was still a terrific story.

I really like the Timmverse in general, but I don't think you can just lift it into movies.  You can get away with things in animation you can't in live action: the Joker in particular pulls stunts that I think would come across as more goofy than intended in live action.  And the stories are paced a lot differently than I think you can get away with.  The entire run time of the entire World's Finest arc is probably barely over an hour without commercials.

World's Finest also doesn't happen in a vacuum.  It happens after three years of animated Batman and then over a year of animated Superman.  We already knew both characters - specifically these iterations of those characters - before they meet.  DCAU had the patience to develop both characters before putting them (and their rogues gallery) together.  I think that's important here, was important to Avengers, and is probably something missing from BvS.

I like the DCAU a lot.  In many ways, it is not only my favorite iteration of the DC universe but also the definitive touchstone I reach for when thinking about these characters.  But I also think that the tone, characterizations, writing, and medium itself fit together well in the DCAU in a way that makes it all work, but won't necessarily work everywhere.  And I think it should also remind us why we should try to keep an open mind when others try to do something new.  Its not that it will all work, but the possibility of failure is necessary to create the opportunity for great things to happen like the DCAU.  You can nitpick the DCAU: Batman's ears are ridiculously large, Lois Lane is too young, Clark is a little too wisecracky, whatever.  Its not perfect.  But it works.  People nit pick Nolan's version of Batman, but it works.  I think Man of Steel is far weaker than either of those, and it seems anyone who owns a pen or keyboard isn't too crazy about BvS at the moment.  But I think if MoS and BvS ultimately don't work, that doesn't mean we look backward to fix it, we should be handing it to someone who will come up with something new.  Nolan's Batman is nothing like Schumacher's or Burton's Batman, who was nothing like the Adam West Batman.  The comics have at least a dozen different iterations of Batman.  We have the DCAU Batman already.  We should be looking for the next one.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2016, 02:16:28 AM »
I'd actually prefer if they'd have Timm try some live action tv to movies. I really feel like he's wasted doing adaptations or anything non-serial in general (especially since they have him doing killing joke next. I got enough of Joker explaining himself in the second half of dark knight to last me several lifetimes).

I'm trying my best to keep an open mind about DoJ, especially since i really want a good or even passable version of the DCU over a series of movies.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2016, 03:15:53 AM »
I'd actually prefer if they'd have Timm try some live action tv to movies. I really feel like he's wasted doing adaptations or anything non-serial in general (especially since they have him doing killing joke next. I got enough of Joker explaining himself in the second half of dark knight to last me several lifetimes).

Well, Bruce Timm is a long, long, long time artist and animator.  I don't think "they" are having him do anything: I think at this point he's picking his own projects since stepping down as DC animation head honcho: he's supposed to be working on an adaptation of the Killing Joke.  Given his passion for art design and animation, it is entirely possible he doesn't *want* to do live television or cinema.  It might be completely out of his wheel house.

I suspect that he has the clout that if he really wanted it, he could make it happen.  The fact that he isn't probably says more about what he wants to do with his time than what he's been constrained to do.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2016, 04:44:56 AM »
It's a shame that the general movie going public have trouble taking animation seriously.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2016, 04:56:22 AM »
It's a shame that the general movie going public have trouble taking animation seriously.

Its doubly weird when you consider how much CGI is in a lot of big budget movies.  Heck, Fury Road is in a sense 50% animated by computer.  That does, of course, skim over a lot of stylistic context, but deliberately so in my case.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2016, 05:36:33 AM »
Well, Bruce Timm is a long, long, long time artist and animator.  I don't think "they" are having him do anything: I think at this point he's picking his own projects since stepping down as DC animation head honcho: he's supposed to be working on an adaptation of the Killing Joke.  Given his passion for art design and animation, it is entirely possible he doesn't *want* to do live television or cinema.  It might be completely out of his wheel house.

I suspect that he has the clout that if he really wanted it, he could make it happen.  The fact that he isn't probably says more about what he wants to do with his time than what he's been constrained to do.

You're probably right, but as I have no access to the inner workings at WB/DC I reserve my internet-given right to irrationally blame a diffuse disembodied they based on a fabricated and oversimplified chain of cause and effect :P

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
You're probably right, but as I have no access to the inner workings at WB/DC I reserve my internet-given right to irrationally blame a diffuse disembodied they based on a fabricated and oversimplified chain of cause and effect :P

That's what they all say.