Author Topic: Jessica Jones  (Read 6678 times)

Magus Prime

• Boss
Jessica Jones
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:03:53 AM »
Wow.  Gritty.  ???

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
Re: Jessica Jones
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 09:47:29 AM »
Wow.  Gritty.  ???

SPOILERS! OH, um ... Carry on.

Waiting to start on it Saturday
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 02:11:34 PM »
I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't a sort of hardboiled detective story...

And I'm looking forward to the Luke Cage series...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:41:56 AM »
Wasn't sure if he was going to pull off Luke Cage before I watched. Now I'm convinced. Can't wait for his series. I'm going to save the last two episodes for tomorrow though, eyes getting heavy. Really enjoying it. I like that it has a totally different feel than Daredevil yet still feels like they are connected. And the cinematography is fantastic. One of the best looking depictions of New York City I can think of for TV.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 11:07:04 PM »
Can't help thinking
Spoiler for Hidden:
that someone should have tried headphones before episode 13.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 11:17:57 PM »
lulz.....good thought

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 01:26:54 PM »
Can't help thinking
Spoiler for Hidden:
that someone should have tried headphones before episode 13.

True. But:
Spoiler for Hidden:
Did they know enough about how his power worked to be sure that would be effective?

Generally, I liked the whole series. I especially liked that for the most part and except for the main antagonist, powers and superpowers were kept low key.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 08:25:21 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
if killgraves power is viral in nature (pheromones based in comix), then how would headphones work?

Just thinking.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 08:58:41 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
if killgraves power is viral in nature (pheromones based in comix), then how would headphones work?

Just thinking.

Spoiler for Hidden:
If you can't hear him you can't do what he tells you. The trickier thing is if its viral how was he able to contorl people through a hospital intercom?

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 09:55:03 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
If you can't hear him you can't do what he tells you. The trickier thing is if its viral how was he able to contorl people through a hospital intercom?

Spoiler for Hidden:
Remember how he was using his father to try and make his powers reach farther and last longer? I thought it was explained via dialogue that he amped up his powers to ludicrous levels and that allowed him to effectively saturate the entire hospital with his virus so everyone was in range.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
If Jessica knew she is immune to the Purple Man's mind control power why did she kill Luke's wife?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 12:28:17 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
If Jessica knew she is immune to the Purple Man's mind control power why did she kill Luke's wife?
I'm pretty sure she wasn't immune then, but something broke the control during the trauma of the event. You can see as she turns to walk away that she looks pretty stunned/amazed at what she's doing (not obeying).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 03:34:50 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:

Spoiler for Hidden:
My impression was that the shock of realizing what she'd just done was what gave her the additional strength of will to resist his power afterwards.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 04:03:02 AM »
Just saw episode one. Damn.

May binge over the holiday

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 04:33:53 AM »
Just saw episode one. Damn.

May binge over the holiday

Nah, the butler did it.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 04:30:59 PM »
Almost done.  Other than the awful subplot with Reuben's sister, it's been really good.  Halfway through, though, the producer's name became Kremzeek.  So, since a little electric gremlin was in charge, a bad subplot with an unlikable character is forgivable.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 09:36:35 PM »
I really liked how the show mentioned the events that happened from the Avengers movie.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 12:38:25 AM »
Who knew an electric saw could be foreplay.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 02:36:43 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Remember how he was using his father to try and make his powers reach farther and last longer? I thought it was explained via dialogue that he amped up his powers to ludicrous levels and that allowed him to effectively saturate the entire hospital with his virus so everyone was in range.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I think it has to be a combination of his voice and the virus. Maybe the amping resulted in the virus lasting longer so it could saturate a larger area?

Spoiler for Hidden:
But if Hawkeye still has his hearing impairment he would be an awesome choice to fight Killgrave. :D

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 04:56:40 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
But if Hawkeye still has his hearing impairment he would be an awesome choice to fight Killgrave. :D

Spoiler for Hidden:
Since Killgrave's powers are a virus, would that mean it would only reach towards humans? It was never shown to be affected by animals. I wonder if some other non-humans, say... Asgardians would be immune to the virus? It would be a very short sided fight between Kilgrave and Thor for instance if that were the case. :P

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 05:57:13 AM »
Finished finally. I actually thought this was even better than Daredevil. They should let these folks loose on Shield and some of the movie properties.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Can't figure out how she can be knocked out/injured by regular people but landing from super jumps doesn't hurt her though. Or for that matter why the shotgun was enough concussive force to nearly kill Cage but none of the times being thrown through walls or being blown up bothered him at all.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 09:08:15 AM »
A boxer who can take all sorts of punishment can be knocked out by a good blow to the chin.  I think it's easier to jar the brain via the chin or something.

I was disappointed that:

Spoiler for Hidden:
When Kilgrave got injected to increase his powers, he started getting all veiny and purple, but it wasn't permanent.  I was totally hoping for a full on Purple Man in the final confrontation.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 10:44:44 PM »
I was disappointed that:

Spoiler for Hidden:
When Kilgrave got injected to increase his powers, he started getting all veiny and purple, but it wasn't permanent.  I was totally hoping for a full on Purple Man in the final confrontation.

Me too I was expecting the same thing.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 11:30:21 PM »
A boxer who can take all sorts of punishment can be knocked out by a good blow to the chin.  I think it's easier to jar the brain via the chin or something.
Brain injuries can be caused by transferal of force in a combination of perpendicular direction (in a straight line from surface to the center of the brain's mass) and tangential direction (wrapping around the center of mass).  Skull fractures are usually the result of perpendicular force.

Let's look at football helmets.  They protect pretty well against perpendicular force and absorb most of that.  (Not many skull fractures in the NFL.)  But helmets don't protect at all against tangential forces that cause the head accelerate rapidly in a rotational motion or suddenly stop rotating when contact is made with the ground.

Spoiler for Hidden:
What we have with Luke is a force directed upward against the chin.  The skin doesn't break, but his head whips back, subjecting the brain to rotational force.  *BOOM*  Massive concussion.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 11:52:42 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
I totally understood why the shotgun would cause a massive concussion. My issue was more why the explosion or all the jarring in fights with jessica wouldn't. Unbreakable skin does nothing for the brain taking all that force. If comic Cage was real he'd have been severely brain damaged to an extent even Roger Goodell would recognize from repeated concussions before he even got rid of the tiara.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 02:28:15 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »
Now that I've finally finished binging, a few thoughts.

Netflix is good.  I'm not a big fan of dark and gritty and downplaying the "hero" part of superhero shows and movies, but they do it in a way that is a perfect balance. 

Before the show started I thought that Kilgrave would be a terrible big bad.  I've never cared for him in any comic because essentially he was just another mind control type but without all the telepathic stuff that usually goes with it.  But the writing and Tennant managed to make him fascinating.  And they did the same thing that they managed to do with Kingpin.  They made him human and made you feel sorry for him.  Not like him, he was too evil for that.  But understand where he came from, what made him, and see how it could happen to a person who would otherwise be perfectly normal.

Something I consider bad news is that Jessica Jones may not get a second season, or more likely the second season will be delayed for a year.  Trying to get it out next year would conflict with the shooting schedule of Defenders so right now Netflix is trying to figure things out.  The main reason I really want a second season isn't Jessica.  I'm sure we will have plenty of her in Defenders and crossing over into the other series.  I happen to really like some of the supporting characters from the series.  I'm sure that Trish will cross over but I don't really see Malcolm or Robyn fitting in.

To answer a question above about Luke.
Spoiler for Hidden:
It wasn't getting his head knocked back that caused the brain swelling.  One cause of this kind of brain damage is overpressure.  Although it usually takes a bigger explosion I would guess that a point blank shotgun blast would suffice.  If his steel skin extends to his eardrums and lungs then they wouldn't rupture but the compression of the eardrums and sinuses would be more than enough to cause compression trauma to the brain.

And lastly I really really want to see Patsy as Hellcat. 
Spoiler for Hidden:
She has had the martial arts training.  She has had a dose of the same drugs which amped up Luke and those drugs are probably a variant of the ones that gave Jessica her power.
  Just give her a costume involving ballistic fabric, and some knuckle blades.  I've always hated the fingertip style because torque causes all sorts of problems.  And Rachael Taylor fits the part perfectly.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 08:04:57 PM »
Yeah the show did what I thought was impossible, make Patsy Walker likeable.
Spoiler for Hidden:
I figure they'll Hellcat her out for the Defenders seeing as she's the only person they have in these shows so far who was a regular member in the original Defenders run. Really I'm surprised they're calling it the Defenders instead of doing Heroes for Hire.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 11:46:15 AM »
You know, one of the things that kinda bothered me was
Spoiler for Hidden:
pre-Killgrave Jessica didn't really seem that different from present Jessica in the flashbacks that showed how she met Killgrave.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 02:36:37 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
She seemed more positive before, to me.  More the self-destructive penitent afterwards.

Pep Rally

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 06:09:14 PM »
And lastly I really really want to see Patsy as Hellcat. 
Spoiler for Hidden:
She has had the martial arts training.  She has had a dose of the same drugs which amped up Luke and those drugs are probably a variant of the ones that gave Jessica her power.
  Just give her a costume involving ballistic fabric, and some knuckle blades.  I've always hated the fingertip style because torque causes all sorts of problems.  And Rachael Taylor fits the part perfectly.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Those pills were from Officer Simpson a.k.a. Nuke.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuke_%28Marvel_Comics%29

I agree. Hopefully, JJ, and Trish get full costumes in Defenders.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 12:23:06 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Those pills were from Officer Simpson a.k.a. Nuke.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuke_%28Marvel_Comics%29
Gack!  I can't believe I typed that.  I meant to type Nuke but substituted Luke.  Everybody knows Luke was basically boiled in a chemical bath.  I shall now hang my head in shame.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2015, 12:17:51 PM »
Just finished.

My thoughts:
1. Different enough from Daredevil to not compare the two much.
2. Found the amount of punishment DD took in his series was insane, much like the amount of times Jessica was dropped by regular folks (yes, made some sense she was trying not to hurt them but you want consistent power levels) sticks out in a bad way to me.
3. Marvel is doing the solo movie x 4 = big movie climax thing with these series leading to the Defenders. This allowed Jessica Jones to go all in with Killgrave and character building. As much as I liked the series I'm good if they don't give her second season (as long as the Defenders takes off).
4. Luke Cage's show can't come soon enough. Do we have a date yet on DD season 2? How far away from Iron Fist's show are we? Netflix is NOT prime time TV. They can take their sweet time with a second season of JJ (doesn't have to be every year, just maintain the quality!).
5. I was going to write a story for my in CoH main but JJ's story is so close to it in tone I'm screwed ( had never read the MAX line of comics she came from).