Author Topic: Quarter-moon in movies & on TV  (Read 2040 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Quarter-moon in movies & on TV
« on: October 14, 2015, 03:31:52 AM »
Okay, I'm calling "foul" on "Man of Steel". I finally get to see it, and something jumps out at me - something that a surprising number of movies and TV shows get wrong. At the end of the "surrender, Kal-El" message, during the line "...or watch this world suffer the consequences", they show the moon at what might be about a third of the distance from the horizon to overhead, in a black sky. That height means that we're facing either east (1-2 hours after moonrise) or west (1-2 hours before moonset). The problem is that they show it with the right half lit, which puts the sun either north or south of us. At that height above the horizon, the lower half should be lit in a black sky, not one of the side halves. It might be possible closer to one of the earth's poles, but, unless I need to turn in my science-geekdom membership card, it's impossible to see the moon in that configuration from wherever they're supposed to be in the 48 contiguous United States. (This same science "instinct" is what made me notice that the moon rises in the south in Paragon City.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:50:29 PM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Re: Quarter-moon in movies & on TV
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 07:29:27 PM »
A lot of stuff films in Vancouver, which is in Canada, which is closer to the pole than the US. So that is clearly the answer.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 07:55:47 PM »
He watches a superhero movie and says, "That could never happen in real life.  The wrong part of the moon is lit."

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 08:42:13 PM »
If that's the only thing you found wrong with man of steel consider yourself lucky.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 01:39:06 AM »
I'm actually sort of surprised that adding a moon to a green screen sky is done at all.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 04:24:09 PM »
True enough, Vee; I should have specified calling a science foul.

And, P.A., even allowing for suspension of disbelief for a superhero movie, they could at least get right what IS science-based.

And I have to agree with whoever, at the Blastr website, suggested that someone needs to show Zack Snyder where the brightness settings are on his video equipment. That was one drab-looking movie. Supes is supposed to be the Big Blue Boy Scout; making him dark and gritty, like Batman, just doesn't fit.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.