Author Topic: Battle tech hits $1 mill day one into Kickstarter  (Read 3376 times)

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
Battle tech hits $1 mill day one into Kickstarter
« on: September 30, 2015, 06:54:17 PM »
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-09/30/battletech-returns-to-the-pc-with-a-massively-popular-kickstarter

I'll be donating to this shortly. I still regret not helping with CoT or VO (which hits Alpha state this week!) so far and eagerly await the next chance to.

I understand the roots battletech has in the rpg community (man I'd kill for a Car Wars game...), but I wish Cot and VO had this reception on Kickstarter.

I searched for super hero games and most on there did not appeal to me. I did see Heroes of Metro City card game (which has work from CoX's David Nakayama in it!) from a few years back and just bought it off Amazon. The rest seemed to be comic and short film projects.

edit: Battle Chaser's visuals look awesome. I may back its KS.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
Re: Battle tech hits $1 mill day one into Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:35:37 PM »
Ah, way back in the day i used to play classic Battletech. Initially playing skirmishes with a couple friends and eventually joining a group of roughly six players who ran a mercenary company and did the full RPG thing, but using R. Talsorian's original Cyberpunk rules instead of Mechwarrior's game system even though we otherwise used it for stats, setting, and gear. This was around a year or two before the Clan stuff first started to appear. It was a lot of fun. i'll probably back this for as much as i can afford at the time. i just hope they eventually add more mechs and that the customization is as flexible as the original game. (i had a real penchant for custom Marauder builds and the heavily modified Scorpion i first piloted when i joined the campaign.)
So far so good. Onward and upward!

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 09:09:24 PM »
Unless something has changed, you can still donate to VO.   I've donated three times myself.  Once each time there seemed to be major progress.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 10:30:04 PM »
I have fond memories of the original Mechwarrior game. I got to be pretty good at blowing that big melon off of the shoulders of a BattleMaster (I believe it was), and leaving the rest standing upright. And, in GEnie's version, Multiplayer BattleTech, I eventually rose to be XO of Steiner's 1st Royal Guards - "The Archon's Own". Great fun. I also enjoyed playing Earthseige 2, although my favorite vehicle was, actually, the Razor; a game full of mechs, and I loved the fighter "aircraft".
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 10:35:50 PM »
BTech was/is a great game, and HareBrained Schemes did a really good job with the Shadowrun franchise. The only downside is the linear plotline of their modules, but on the other hand they provided tools for user-generated content and there are several other nice modules available.

Lord Nightmare

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 10:57:02 PM »
I want it to be great but I'm not backing it on principle. HairBrainedSchemes was too soft and vanilla with Shadowrun in both of their installments, which was a big problem for me after backing it. In Shadowrun, you should be able to start off with chainsaws for hands and a MP3 Player in your crotch. Taming the setting down to make things more "realistic" and fluid makes it horribly boring.

HOPEFULLY they'll do much better since it isn't hard to screw up the Mechwarrior universe.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 12:30:39 AM »
I want it to be great but I'm not backing it on principle. HairBrainedSchemes was too soft and vanilla with Shadowrun in both of their installments, which was a big problem for me after backing it. In Shadowrun, you should be able to start off with chainsaws for hands and a MP3 Player in your crotch. Taming the setting down to make things more "realistic" and fluid makes it horribly boring.

HOPEFULLY they'll do much better since it isn't hard to screw up the Mechwarrior universe.

Did you try Shadowrun: Hong Kong?

Lord Nightmare

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 04:18:08 AM »
Did you try Shadowrun: Hong Kong?

Nope, did the original and Dragonfall. Everyone I know said Hong Kong wasn't much of an improvement.

Shadowrun is one of those PnP systems where order doesn't make sense and having a rigid game makes even less. The fun comes from taking everything to the extreme, despite how goofy it is. Spoony did a great video on it called the Squirt Gun Wars that indirectly explains why the game has a huge following.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 11:21:21 AM »
For what it is (passion project on a couple million dollars), the Shadowrun series of late is pretty good. I like the player-made content feature. Shame iOS couldn't handle at least downloading the better player content.

IGN gave Hong Kong an 8.0 and buzz was that score is a bit low. I need to finish Dragonfall first before I grab HK.

Did you hear that the Shadowrun Online backers filed for bankruptcy? I was worried when the Online portion got trimmed back and they changed the name to that Boston-thing. I'm not touching that thing until I know it's servers won't shut down (CoX flashbacks kill any online-only game for me now).

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 03:30:36 PM »
In Shadowrun, you should be able to start off with chainsaws for hands and a MP3 Player in your crotch. Taming the setting down to make things more "realistic" and fluid makes it horribly boring.

That works a lot better in situations where a GM can control things. In a computer game, you need to limit player options more, since you can't react to someone doing things that you didn't expect. Like taking chainsaws for hands, and thus not being able to pick up a key that you will need later.

Lord Nightmare

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 05:02:53 PM »
In Shadowrun, most of your weapons are sheathable (Wolverine claws) or the tech used to make them can transform back into "normal" appendages at will. Think like the Megabuster or Cyborg's blaster from the animated series of Teen Titans. So Chainsaw Hands would be able to swap between chainsaw mode and normal mode. Thus, I can still pick up keys while running around as a cyber lumberjack.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 09:59:43 AM »
I miss playing table top Mechwarrior and Battletech in the pre-clans Inner Sphere. When I used to run some games at the local game shop I even got people to LARP Mechwarrior. Several of the novels were good, even some of the early Clan stories. I just don't know if I can get in to the setting now, but it intrigues me.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 01:47:17 AM »
I have a friend who is a developer for this, and though I've done nothing in this universe, I threw money at it for a game.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance