Author Topic: Overdrive  (Read 2384 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Overdrive
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:07:56 PM »
I never can get this energy unlock to work for me.

Now, I have a build with only maintain attacks and nothing on fast recharge (is there such a thing anymore? /nerfjab) and it doesn't clinging flame or negative ion or anything else any of the energy unlocks trigger off of. So, overdrive seems the perfect way to go.

Thing is, I pew pew a lot with a 100' ... Single Target maintain. That maintain nearly always wipes out mobs before it hits half duration. Sooo it rarely ever triggers Overdrive.

Now, had that attack been an aoe maintain all I would have to do is maintain the attack until Overdrive triggers - whether the mob survives or not. With a single target attack, the maintain ends as soon as the mob drops.

Oh yeah and my AoE maintain? It triggers Overdrive just fine. The problem is, I have to have all three stacks of it going to have any hope of getting a full duration maintain and I have to hit a mob a couple of times with an energy builder first to get the train rolling.

If I had 100 more End the AoE problem would go away. I think it goes away when someone in the team has AoPM going. But who wants to dump two mods worth of End into a build just to get their energy unlock to work and it still doesn't solve the single target @ > 50' problem..

The main problem I have with Overdrive in this situation is the single target thing. It's really annoying to mow down mob after mob X amount of pixels away from Overdrive triggering until finally I have to move into Energy Builder range and play at 50' which is not how I would like to play this guy but I have been for just over 30 levels now.

I don't see the logic of having control of when an AoE maintain ends but not a single target one.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: Overdrive
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 05:30:05 PM »
I never can get this energy unlock to work for me.

Now, I have a build with only maintain attacks and nothing on fast recharge (is there such a thing anymore? /nerfjab) and it doesn't clinging flame or negative ion or anything else any of the energy unlocks trigger off of. So, overdrive seems the perfect way to go.

Thing is, I pew pew a lot with a 100' ... Single Target maintain. That maintain nearly always wipes out mobs before it hits half duration. Sooo it rarely ever triggers Overdrive.

Now, had that attack been an aoe maintain all I would have to do is maintain the attack until Overdrive triggers - whether the mob survives or not. With a single target attack, the maintain ends as soon as the mob drops.

Oh yeah and my AoE maintain? It triggers Overdrive just fine. The problem is, I have to have all three stacks of it going to have any hope of getting a full duration maintain and I have to hit a mob a couple of times with an energy builder first to get the train rolling.

If I had 100 more End the AoE problem would go away. I think it goes away when someone in the team has AoPM going. But who wants to dump two mods worth of End into a build just to get their energy unlock to work and it still doesn't solve the single target @ > 50' problem..

The main problem I have with Overdrive in this situation is the single target thing. It's really annoying to mow down mob after mob X amount of pixels away from Overdrive triggering until finally I have to move into Energy Builder range and play at 50' which is not how I would like to play this guy but I have been for just over 30 levels now.

I don't see the logic of having control of when an AoE maintain ends but not a single target one.

Yeah it's surprising how long they hadn't nerfed two gun back to the time it was useless and everyone just used PBR, or buffed PBR/AR a bit so they'd be desirable to in the face of two gun.  I often mixed heavy AoE's like force cascade or lightning storm with two gun.  They just as well at this point remove any attacks with a cooldown far as I am concerned, such attacks tend to be useless(a huge, huge majority I might add :( ).

Another funny thing, and this to me is a good thing, but overdrive benefits from recovery as much as it does from it's other main stats.  Since recovery does benefit recharge times more then CDR or int, it just beats the pants off of int.  And since it's more max energy, it beats the pants off of ints main function.  And if your on max energy it gives a 15% crit.  So the "proper" max damage for two gun would be something like recovery prim with Ego and endurance.  OR you could go int, though it's only helpful for cost reduction anymore and a dump stat to me(see endurance vs int, which I guess i'll post).  So I'd just go Rec/Ego/Con, and use killer instinct for two gun characters.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:15:39 AM »
I heard so much about two gun mojo that I got burned out on it without even using it.

I've never had it in a build and only tried it once in the Training Room so I could see what all the fuss is about. It's a fine attack and all but it wasn't a memorable moment beyond remembering I did it.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 12:41:11 AM »
I heard so much about two gun mojo that I got burned out on it without even using it.

I've never had it in a build and only tried it once in the Training Room so I could see what all the fuss is about. It's a fine attack and all but it wasn't a memorable moment beyond remembering I did it.
two gun is pretty cool, I use it on a few characters. It is sorta like the seen in Zombieland where Woodies character is in the concession stand. :) The power does have some good damage.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 01:08:17 AM »
two gun is pretty cool, I use it on a few characters. It is sorta like the seen in Zombieland where Woodies character is in the concession stand. :) The power does have some good damage.

I hear ya. I'm just not a crowd follower. If everyone is using something I tend not to. AoPM is another good example. That one I did finally give in on. I just recently gave it to my support toon and it is as great as everyone says. Int builds are a good example too. I finally put one of those together and boy am I glad I didn't get too used to them! Recharge is one of my favorite things to build for.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 12:05:28 AM »
Swapping out some End for Rec in Talent choices made a world of difference.

Reconstructive Circuits fires it off every 4 seconds but that doesn't seem to be as helpful as hitting a recharge power every few seconds with MSA.
Some Faves: