Author Topic: Doctor Who season 9  (Read 12243 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Doctor Who season 9
« on: September 27, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »
I liked the start, but the end of this opening two-parter was pretty bad.  And I absolutely hate sonic sunglasses.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Doctor Who season 9
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 11:44:35 PM »
I have been a fan of the show since the 70's.
I like Capaldi a lot, but I wasn't overly thrilled with the newest story.

I liked the show a lot when RTD was in charge but since Moffat took over, its been going downhill for me.

Davros was great as always but I really cant stand this female Master.

And the glasses are just dumb.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 12:39:39 AM »
I thought the first episode started out strongly, but the second had a weak ending.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 04:54:09 AM »
Davros was great as always but I really cant stand this female Master.

And the glasses are just dumb.

I was particularly amused when Davros stole the Darth Vader line.

And I've not much liked any of the incarnations of the Master in new Who, unless I count the old human he was introduced as.  He's been far too zany for my taste.  I could have happily accepted this female version if she was a more straight-laced cold crazy evil.  I think I'm in the minority with my dislike here, though.

I really don't get the sunglasses.  They just look like regular sunglasses.  Who thought that was a good idea?  Did the sonic screwdriver prop guy quit or something?
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Brutey

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
I liked the Daleks (I usually do), Davros, the explanation behind the Master's escape last season, and the exploring the Dalek armor scene.

I disliked the Dalek sewers, Davros' force field still being in the control room (?), and the Tardis re-assembling (?? I think I missed the line where he 'explained' what happened to it).  So I guess in short most of the ending.  Except the true ending - it was obvious that the Doctor was going to go back and save Davros from the hand grenades (sigh), but the reason why I liked.

I like the new Masters.  She's a lot of fun.  I wouldn't mind if she wasn't the Master, however - if she'd been a new character, like a time lord who had been driven insane by being in a stasis box too long - but I understand the desire to tie her more intimately to the Doctor so fans don't wonder why she wasn't a one and done monster of the week.

I do think that her over the top act is just that - an act that she's putting on around the Doctor.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 11:32:26 AM »
Hand mines.  If they were ever referred to as grenades I thankfully missed it.  I would've begun to wonder if Skaro had ever been called Xanth.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 01:24:29 PM »
I liked the Daleks (I usually do), Davros, the explanation behind the Master's escape last season, and the exploring the Dalek armor scene.

I disliked the Dalek sewers, Davros' force field still being in the control room (?), and the Tardis re-assembling (?? I think I missed the line where he 'explained' what happened to it).  So I guess in short most of the ending.  Except the true ending - it was obvious that the Doctor was going to go back and save Davros from the hand grenades (sigh), but the reason why I liked.

I like the new Masters.  She's a lot of fun.  I wouldn't mind if she wasn't the Master, however - if she'd been a new character, like a time lord who had been driven insane by being in a stasis box too long - but I understand the desire to tie her more intimately to the Doctor so fans don't wonder why she wasn't a one and done monster of the week.

I do think that her over the top act is just that - an act that she's putting on around the Doctor.

She should have been The Rani.

And the guy from last season's medieval episode should have been the Master.  Sorry, I forgot the actor and the character he played.  LOL.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 02:09:33 PM »
Missy is a great character but she's not The Master... yet.  I see her as having recently regenerated (relatively) and not yet fully focused.  They can keep the playful evilness so long as they eliminate the silly bits like dancing around the Dalek as it was blasting away.

Brutey

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 01:23:42 AM »
Hand mines.  If they were ever referred to as grenades I thankfully missed it.  I would've begun to wonder if Skaro had ever been called Xanth.

Argh. Hand mines is not an improvement.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
Sorry, but I love Missy. I'd watch a show just of her going around space and time being a dickish anti-hero/villain.

Thought the two parter was good.

The sunglasses though, have to go. But I think they will soon enough.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »
I could like Missy if she wasn't supposed to be the Master.  She's amusingly insane.  Although she does come off a bit like an Evil River.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »
I could like Missy if she wasn't supposed to be the Master.  She's amusingly insane.  Although she does come off a bit like an Evil River.

She could have, should have been the Rani.

Still could be, I suppose, if somebody wanted to write that, someday...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 08:51:20 PM »
I like Missy. I enjoyed the last episode. I am not picky. :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 05:40:33 AM »
It's going to bug me if there's no meaningful reason for the burned out eye sockets.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 06:32:51 AM »
It's going to bug me if there's no meaningful reason for the burned out eye sockets.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 03:21:55 AM »
Well, that got obvious real quick.  Liked the rock intro to the theme.

Brutey

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 03:32:43 AM »
I've enjoyed the 'Doctor asides', where he scribbles on the blackboard or talks to the audience (in story to himself, or to another character we can't see), when they've been used.  Sort of a Twilight Zone feel to them. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

The sunglasses are not growing on me.  I've thought the entire sonic 'screwdriver' evolution in the modern era to be over the top - putting a Star Trek TNG tricorder to shame - but seeing the glasses plugged into a computer by their arms is in a league of it's own.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 06:47:50 AM »
I saw an interview with the guy in charge (is it Moffat these days?) where he basically said they did the sonic sunglasses to piss people off just because they could.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 07:59:36 AM »
Hm, sounds like some of these comments are being written by grumpy Daleks or something! 

I've really been enjoying this season... at least, right up to the end of the past episode when nothing much got explained and the entire mythological backstory of the Fisher King lore got ignored.  But that writer's been known to turn in some flat bits, so that's our luck of the draw.  Go back and look at any age of Doctor Who and you'll find there's always a dud somewhere, even season 13 and 14 had'em.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »
Hm, sounds like some of these comments are being written by grumpy Daleks or something! 

I've really been enjoying this season... at least, right up to the end of the past episode when nothing much got explained and the entire mythological backstory of the Fisher King lore got ignored.  But that writer's been known to turn in some flat bits, so that's our luck of the draw.  Go back and look at any age of Doctor Who and you'll find there's always a dud somewhere, even season 13 and 14 had'em.

And speaking of old school Doctor Who... The monster in this two-parter should looked like one of the old, wobbly, made of bubble-wrap monsters...

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
And speaking of old school Doctor Who... The monster in this two-parter should looked like one of the old, wobbly, made of bubble-wrap monsters...

He looked pretty good until he walked outside, so that was close, right?  I never had a problem with bubble-wrap monsters...
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 02:10:00 AM »
Hopefully that's the end of the sonic sunglasses.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 05:26:13 AM »
Hopefully that's the end of the sonic sunglasses.

Did ya'll catch when he asked about his screwdriver in last week's episode? Just an off-hand question, "did you find a tool lying around? Long skinny thing with a point?" (Something like that.) I pointed it out to my husband who didn't notice it the first time 'round. Made me grin a bit.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 01:28:40 AM »
So, is it just me, or did it look like we're actually going to see the fact that Capaldi has played other characters addressed as canon?
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 01:46:17 AM »
So, is it just me, or did it look like we're actually going to see the fact that Capaldi has played other characters addressed as canon?

Spoiler for Hidden:
Didn't they more or less do that?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 02:14:07 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Didn't they more or less do that?
Maybe.  I tend to watch the episodes when I'm a little sleepy on Sunday mornings and sometimes have to rewind to see what I missed during a very prolonged blink.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 03:50:18 AM »
A pretty solid episode expanding on consequence and portending a potentially interesting future.

Sam Swift reminds me of someone the Doctor met in his past in the future. 

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 09:01:19 AM »
I'm hopeful for an appearance by Captain Jack or even dare I say the Face of Boe.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »
I'm hopeful for an appearance by Captain Jack or even dare I say the Face of Boe.

Oh dear god i hope not...

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2015, 10:15:16 PM »
Well that was a pointless episode without a satisfying end.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 03:34:26 AM »
My thought at first was it's a stupid origin for a monster but this could still be a pretty good running down the spaceship corridors episode.  By the end though it was one of my least favorite episodes ever.  A few nice ideas put together into a pointless jumbled mess.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2015, 09:18:55 AM »
I was fully expecting that everyone was trapped in a networked dream state in the new Morpheus machines.  The Sandmen in this plot in my head were people who had been consumed by and added to the growing intelligence in charge of the network.  Ergo the failing gravity shields would have been an effort to force everyone to wake up.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »
I was fully expecting that everyone was trapped in a networked dream state in the new Morpheus machines.  The Sandmen in this plot in my head were people who had been consumed by and added to the growing intelligence in charge of the network.  Ergo the failing gravity shields would have been an effort to force everyone to wake up.

Yep, that's where I thought they were going with it too....  But, I was hoping, once he figured out that it felt more like a "story" that he had accidentally landed in the land of fiction, again.  It'd be so great to get a land of fiction story in the new series... and the Capaldi Doctor would be a hoot in it.

My wife kept commenting on how the episode felt more like a Big Finish audio than a TV episode... And it seemed familiar to me, too. 

Was this episode a re-write of "Dust"? 

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »
Did not like this episode one bit.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 07:51:54 AM »
Did not like this episode one bit.

I'm gonna have to agree to agree.

But really par for the course for Moffat.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »
I really liked it up until the last, ohhh, 3 minutes or so. However long dustman's speech was. That wasn't an ending. Sigh.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2015, 03:00:17 PM »
I really liked it up until the last, ohhh, 3 minutes or so. However long dustman's speech was. That wasn't an ending. Sigh.

Agreed.  That was my big problem with the episode, too.  Several of this Doctor's stories have not actually been full stories like this... The sleep oriented one last season is another example.

I also thought *what* the monsters were was silly.  Evolved eye boogers? Really?  Any other explanation would have been better, I think.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 01:37:04 AM »
Don't look unless you have seen Hell Bent.

Spoiler for Hidden:
THAT, is how you send off a companion.

Clara can return.  Me can return.  Potentials for appearances in spin offs like Class, or maybe even Clara and Me.  Actually I think there should be a companion spin off mini series where the Doctor can't save things so the companions have to. 

And the best part of all. No maudlin Doctor moping about the companion he lost.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »
For some reason, the diner reminded me of the place where Ford and Arthur met Elvis.

Also:  I simultaneously realized that I missed the previous episode and that I don't find it necessary to see it.

Also also:  Hooray sonic screwdriver.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »
For some reason, the diner reminded me of the place where Ford and Arthur met Elvis.

Also:  I simultaneously realized that I missed the previous episode and that I don't find it necessary to see it.

Also also:  Hooray sonic screwdriver.

You really should see the previous episode.  It's really good.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2015, 03:03:37 PM »
Don't look unless you have seen Hell Bent.

Spoiler for Hidden:
THAT, is how you send off a companion.

Clara can return.  Me can return.  Potentials for appearances in spin offs like Class, or maybe even Clara and Me.  Actually I think there should be a companion spin off mini series where the Doctor can't save things so the companions have to. 

And the best part of all. No maudlin Doctor moping about the companion he lost.

Really?  You liked that?  I despised every single solitary second of it. 

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2015, 02:51:39 AM »
There were obviously things I liked about it.  The new sonic screwdriver, the allusion to half-human Doctor from the TV movie, the new sonic screwdriver, the HHGttG feel of the diner (which I'm sure runs on bistromathics)...

But it seemed like a wasted return to Gallifrey.  And I'm not sure how I feel about immortal Clara.  I liked how they handled the memory wipe reveal, though.

So I can see how someone might come away hating it.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2015, 03:48:52 AM »
There were obviously things I liked about it.  The new sonic screwdriver, the allusion to half-human Doctor from the TV movie, the new sonic screwdriver, the HHGttG feel of the diner (which I'm sure runs on bistromathics)...

But it seemed like a wasted return to Gallifrey.  And I'm not sure how I feel about immortal Clara.  I liked how they handled the memory wipe reveal, though.

You know, I kind of miss the days when the Doctor's companions were more or less normal.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2015, 05:36:43 AM »
Martha was relatively normal.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »

To me it seemed like an hour of random fanboy-wankery thrown at the fan to see what would hit it.  It came off as the absolute worst in fan-fiction made real.

I absolutely adore Capaldi, and Coleman.  The Doctor / Clara team has been wonderful.  But, her "death" and the reason for it was idiotic.  And the reason "Me" couldn't stop it... just as stupid.  And, while I am on the subject, "Me" is possibly the absolutely most pathetically ridiculously stupid character ever created for Doctor Who.  And with both River Song and the Brigadier's daughter in the running for that award, that says alot.  I loved the first episode that character was in, but they went and destroyed every bit of goodwill I had towards it by keeping that character around.  Anyway, after that wankery with Clara,if I was Adric, I'd be PISSED! Ha! The death of a companion should be rare (it has been,so far) and it should be devestatingly meaningful... not undone one episode later... or at all.  And making her immortal.  Uh, no.  Just no. Only three companions ever deserved immortality, Sarah Jane, The Brigadier and Jamie.

Oh, and I hate "Missy" too.  They shouldn't have gone there.  (My opinion)  That character should have been the Rani.  That would have been awesome.  Missy as Master... sucks.

I like Moffat's vision of Gallifrey.  But, after all that build-up and setting up the whole Rassilon thing in earlier seasons, to dismiss it all as simply as they did was horrid.

The Matrix looking like a catacombs was kinda neat, but silly.  The wraiths was just plain dumb.  And they didn't actually mean anything to the story, at all,so what was the point?

Having the new TARDIS interior look just like Hartnell's was awesome (and a good re-use of the set made for the Hartnell TV-Movie I suspect) but was just one more little thing meant to make the fanboys go "Oooooooo" just like the diner, the mentions of previous adventures in the Matrix, the half-human thing, etc.  All just fanboy wankery.  I am surprised he didn't throw Leela, K-9 Mk I and Romana in there somewhere during the Gallifrey bit, for one more "Ooooooo."

And on that subject... Why in the hell was the Sisterhood of Karn even there?  Did they do anything?  At all?  Was there a story purpose for them to show up?  Or, was it just an excuse to trot out a guest appearance for a famous guest star and one more meaningless piece of fan-wankery trash?

That's my take on it.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2015, 05:21:55 PM »
That sisterhood of Karn actress is famous?  I'm either not familiar with her work, or I just didn't recognize her.  I'll have to look into that.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2015, 07:56:37 PM »
That sisterhood of Karn actress is famous?  I'm either not familiar with her work, or I just didn't recognize her.  I'll have to look into that.

Clare Frances Elizabeth Higgins (born 10 November 1955) is an English actress. Her film appearances include Hellraiser (1987), Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988), Small Faces (1996) and The Golden Compass (2007).

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2015, 10:21:59 PM »
Clare Frances Elizabeth Higgins (born 10 November 1955) is an English actress. Her film appearances include Hellraiser (1987), Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988), Small Faces (1996) and The Golden Compass (2007).

Ah - the classics.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2015, 10:31:18 PM »
Yeah, I checked imdb.  I wouldn't exactly call her high profile.  Certainly not someone I'd be likely to recognize.  But East Enders is a British show I've *heard* of - assuming that means it's popular over there, that'd make her a more recognized person to local viewers.  But not on the level of Timothy Dalton or John Hurt.