Author Topic: Battle of the Powersets!  (Read 2823 times)

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
Battle of the Powersets!
« on: September 14, 2015, 07:44:55 PM »
Gravity Control vs. Ice Control

GO!

Auroxis

• Boss
Re: Battle of the Powersets!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 08:21:39 PM »
Never played either one, wasn't much of a controller guy. It seems like a couple powers share interesting parallels:

Ice Slick and Propel. Ice Slick seems pretty powerful control-wise, but it seems you could slot Propel with the Overwhelming Force IO + Force Feedback IO for a similar if not better effect.

Flash Freeze and Dimension Shift. Both serve the same purpose of holding enemies you don't wish to engage for now. Dimension Shift seems to be better for keeping them mezzed despite teammate interference, while Flash Freeze seems better for mezzing more mobs due to a slightly higher radius (25 vs. 20)

Following that, we have the almost identical parallels in the single target hold, single target immob, and long recharging AoE hold powers.

With the remaining powers, it's clear Gravity gets the advantage in single target damage and control (wormhole) while Ice gets the advantage in recharge and movement debuffs.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:01:35 PM »
I would have to say Gravity over all simply because it was crazy fun and messy. Practically speaking I would say Ice is a close second for me on 'trollers, but Ice wins out on Doms.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 11:42:09 PM »
I would have to say Gravity over all simply because it was crazy fun and messy. Practically speaking I would say Ice is a close second for me on 'trollers, but Ice wins out on Doms.

Ice was indeed awesome on Doms. If you could handle the alpha strike (or someone take it for you), it worked very well to keep you and your team safe.

On trollers, I would take Grav just because of the damage potential for single targets
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
To compare ice vs gravity, you kind of have to also compare Singularity with Jack Frost.

For me, a slight edge in fun goes to Ice because of the large Ice Slick. But for everything else, I'd say Gravity.

And for those who would say "Gravity sucks" - I would say that's an atrocious pun.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 01:37:26 AM »
Ice Blast wins!
(What?  Oh, sorry.)