Author Topic: HOT and FRESH  (Read 2810 times)

Impish Kat

• Underling
HOT and FRESH
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:44:16 PM »

Get your mind outta the gutter, we're talking Pizza here. 

I know I don't post here much, though I do occasionally lurk... But I thought I'd share this story with y'all...

We've recently started up with a gaming group on Sunday nights.  There are 8 regulars, and a couple of occasional drop ins.  Usually, we all bring a little something for snacking on and the host has been providing a simple main dish.  It's a decent arrangement, except when the host doesn't feel like cooking... like the other day.  So, pizza.

At the usual dinner time, we started discussing the kinds of pizza we wanted to order.  Hawaiian was popular, and we had to get one gluten free, and then there were the carnivores... and then there was the question of where to order from.  Well, since Domino's is the only place offering gluten free, we knew that was a given.  But then someone mumbled something about Papa John's and the debate was on.

Suddenly, the voice of god (our GM) cut through the cacophony, "How about we order from both and make it a competition?  What we do is, order online all at the same time and then see who gets here first.  Just imagine what would happen if they got here at the same time...."  Yes, our GM has a sadistic streak.

Someone piped up, "Well, to be fair, we should include the top three competitors of the area.  There is a Pizza Hut nearby as well."

Then, another little wicked voice (Rangle) said, "Put a note in the order that the first to arrive gets the tip."   :o

So, three of us sat down at our laptops, credit cards at the ready, and ordered the following:
  • 2 Hawaiians, 1 combo, and 1 gluten free from Domino's
  • 1 Greek + sausage, and 1 veggie from Papa John's
  • 1 Meat Lover's and breadsticks from Pizza Hut
In the note we put; "Also bought from 2 others, first gets tip."

We counted down from 3 and all hit "send" at the same time.  We were all sent receipts/notices with estimated times.  Domino's said 30-45 minutes, Papa John's said 45-55 minutes, and Pizza Hut said 55 minutes.  Now, an interesting little note about the Pizza Hut notice was that they actually had a timer counting down.  Also, for some reason, the note got censored to "Also bought from 2 others, first gets xxx".   ???   

Within 25 minutes the doorbell rang, and many huzzahs greeted the Domino's delivery.  When asked if they had seen the note, the driver's reply was, "Hell yeah.  As soon as those pies came outta the oven, I was out the door!"  And yes, those pies were HOT and FRESH.

No sooner had we opened the boxes, when the bell rang again.  Papa John's had come in a verrrry close second.  Don't worry, we didn't leave the guy empty handed, he just didn't get quite as big a tip as the first place winner.

We all started in on the pies, certain that Pizza Hut wouldn't be far behind, they only had one pie and breadsticks to manage, after all.  But the timer continued to count down... and count down... and count down... 

We began to wonder if the driver was sitting outside waiting for the timer to get to zero.  But nooooo, when the timer was up a notice popped up saying "Yay! your pie is on time, and has left the building".  Okay Elvis.
Ten minutes later, the delivery arrived.
It was not exactly hot, but it did have bacon.   :P

Fun Game!  (and we killed some orcs too).

ricodah

• Boss
Re: HOT and FRESH
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:29:49 PM »
That's hilarious!  Do it with chinese food next!

Karu8

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:00:55 PM »
Yes, our GM has a sadistic streak.

That's practically a requirement for the job.

Such plentiful pizza grounds you have there... I feel the tiniest bit envious.

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:00:38 PM »
thats awesome and funny lol
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

microc

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 05:26:20 AM »
last year aroud xmas pogoman was doing his safe coh radio and i sent a bunch of pies to him. was real funny when onair they showed up and he going i did not order them....there already paid for...everone in the chat channel was going lol...

Impish Kat

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 08:43:37 AM »
last year aroud xmas pogoman was doing his safe coh radio and i sent a bunch of pies to him. was real funny when onair they showed up and he going i did not order them....there already paid for...everone in the chat channel was going lol...
OMG... I can imagine how that conversation went... lol

Yes, our GM has a sadistic streak.
That's practically a requirement for the job.
Oh yes.  He starts every game by pulling out his special "PK dice".  We make it our goal to nab them and "coax" them to be nice to us.   :P ;D

As for Pizza... well, I have a confession... I'm kinda biased since my dad's been in the business for 35+ years.  I'm not a huge fan of any of the majors, because I really like a sauce with some character; a lot of flavor and a nice kick, please.  None of the big guys deliver on that count in my book. 

HOWEVER, of the pizzas we had that night, I found the Papa John's Greek style with feta and added sausage relatively pleasant.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 05:26:06 AM »
This is by far one of the best pizza delivery stories I've ever heard. Well played sir. Well played.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 10:28:14 PM »
I'm kind of bummed. When I see the words "Hot and Fresh" - I think donuts, not pizza.

By the way, who eats donuts in the gutter? I never think of donuts in the gutter...
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese