Author Topic: Some Log In help, please?  (Read 3954 times)

mikeytbb

• Underling
Some Log In help, please?
« on: July 22, 2015, 03:04:02 AM »
Im frantically trying to get this chat up- i have arrived at the point where i can ( seemingly) log into the chat server ok, and launch CoH-  it also "appears" to take my Titan log in at the CoH Log In screen, but when i get to the server screen ( the server listed is 127.0.0.2 ) and i click to enter, theres a  minute or two delay then i get a "Cant connect to DB server" message.

Am i "not" supposed to put my Titan log in info in at the CoH log in screen maybe? Im unclear what goes there if not ,my old "real "CoH account log in info? or does it even matter what i put there since i logged into the chat via that separate window to start with?

Ive managed to get into the game a couple times but there was NO chat, it was like a stand alone version being on my pc only 0 do i need to type a certain channel command to activate the "global" chat, or does one of the old CoH tabs like "LFG" or Broadcast serve that purpose?

Sorry for so many questions but im sooooooooo close, yet seemingly soooooooo far away at the same time, any help would be awesome. !

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
Re: Some Log In help, please?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 03:40:38 AM »
Well today in particular it seems to be having some issues. There's also been a 'loop bug' that they've been trying to hammer down that causes it to keep checking the manifest. I think it's down because they're probably fixing it.

When it's working correctly, you should have two options. One for Icon. That's the stand-alone log in and wander the City. The other is Paragon Chat, and *that's* the one where you can log in and see other folks and talk with everyone.

The actual game 'login screen' in Icon doesn't do anything, or go anywhere.

On the other hand, when you boot up Paragon Chat on the launcher (again, when everything's working correctly) it will create a smaller launcher log-in. THAT's the one you want to use your titan log in information at.

From there it will take you to the in-game log in screen. The name is important, but the password is just anything you want to put, and it doesn't count- it's just that the system requires *something* be in there because the old game required it, it doesn't have to be the same or anything.

The name does though. That name is what your characters are stored under, so if you logged in with Bob1, and then logged in again with just Bob, you wouldn't see your characters (though you could make new ones if you wanted)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
So, to sum up:

(when everything's working properly) You want to select "Paragon Chat" on your launcher

There will be a smaller login launcher with the Paragon Chat logo at the top. That's where you use your Titan Log-in info.

On the in-game login, be sure to keep track of the login name you use- that's what your characters are stored under.

Then create a character and enjoy the City with everyone! :)

Again, that's when everything's working properly. I think they have it down for maintenance, as I was unable to hop on it earlier today, so hopefully it'll be fixed soon!

Hope this helps.

Lyc~

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 05:58:42 AM »
The most common reasons for DBserver errors are:

A) You're on Windows XP. A lot of those errors popping up there. Not sure what workarounds have been discovered there.
2) Your anti-virus or Windows UAC is interfering with Paragon Chat. Workaround: whitelist paragonchat.exe in your anti-virus and/or run PC as admin (right-click, "run as admin") to stop triggering UAC.
III) You're closing the Paragon Chat window before logging into City proper. Workaround: don't close the Paragon Chat window.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »
note you want to put in the Xmpp launcher:

loginname@chat.cohtitan.com     

(note if you JUST put in loginname you will error)
with loginname being what you use to get into cohtitan

and then your password  in password field

then click the enter city button

youll then see the coh login
put in something youll remember
like Toons1 case is important
(this tells the database what characters to load)
and then anything as the password.

mikeytbb

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
@Aggelakis- I think your scenario is most likely my issue, I will try it again later but i am indeed on WIN XP , if WIN XP is known as having problems getting logged in, thats the most probable cause from what i have been reading here so far.

That said, thank you to EVERYONE who responded , all of it helps of course.

I guess I am hosed until i can upgrade up from WIN XP ( and frankly, that wont be anytime soon)
or some kind of workaround/ troubleshooting is posted for WIN XP log in issues.,which due to Win XP being more or less officially dead i wont be realistically looking for. : (

Oh well, thats the way the mop flops so to speak.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 05:49:07 PM »
If Win XP turns out to be the problem, you -can- get OEM versions of Windows 7 really really cheaply these days (just not from eBay!), and it'll run on your XP hardware most of the time...

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 07:55:41 PM »
It's possibly due to networking differences between WinXP and Win7. IIRC, they rewrote more or less all of the network stack between XP and Vista, so there's probably something with the alternate loopback addresses that doesn't work quite the same on XP.

If you can hang tight for a few days, I'm working on a small client patch to make it able to use the traditional loopback address (127.0.0.1). It's mostly targeted at Mac users who don't have 127.0.0.2, but it might help the situation on XP as well.

mikeytbb

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 12:12:07 AM »
@Codewalker - Righty-O , that will be fine, I'm not going to give up quite yet , so I am more than willing to await the mentioned patch and see if that helps, if I can't find a workaround before then.

I never had Paragon Chat before obviously but I did run CoH on this machine with no issues before
it was shut down ,so I was surprised at having issues .

I will do whatever it takes to rejoin the CoH Community , I have played every hot MMO out there ( and walked away from most and never looked back) but I have ALWAYS maintained CoH/V had the best, most helpful player base of any Game I ever played, and of course i really enjoyed the actual Game itself~ just saying the CoH/V playerbase was a big part of what made the Game so damned good.Just look at this thread for evidence of that - I've got a dinosaur OS in Win XP ,the relative number of people who know about Titan isnt great , and yet almost immediately help started pouring in  - enforcing the fact it was always the playerbase, the taking the time to care even if and when it was obvious the problem was on the user end , and not the Games(as in my case).

Thats what made CoH/V great, and i couldnt be happier that this spirit and the people with it are obviously back here in number- I just cant wait for full lift off, its going to be a BLAST.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 12:19:13 AM »
I never had Paragon Chat before obviously but I did run CoH on this machine with no issues before
it was shut down ,so I was surprised at having issues .
Playing City of Heroes used different connections, different architecture, etc. Paragon Chat is a totally different beast. That's why there's such a vast difference in computer "reaction" to PC versus CoH itself.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 02:22:10 PM »
I use Windows XP and just adding the -localhost command line switch to a ParagonChat.exe shortcut solved the problem. Occasionally it will still timeout at server selection, but only about 5% of the time.

Arcana posted instructions if you're not sure how to do that.

2.  Some users have reported the -localhost switch helps on some Windows platforms.  If you are launching Paragon Chat from within Tequila, add "-localhost" to the launcher options in Tequila (Options -> Launcher Options at the top of the panel that opens).  If you are starting Paragon Chat directly, you will need to make a shortcut to Paragon Chat first.  Right Click Paragon Chat and select "Create shortcut".  Then right click the shortcut and select "Properties."  On the Target line, go to the very end and add a space, then "-localhost" at the end.  Then say ok, and double click the shortcut to run Paragon Chat instead of the original executable.  When you get to the server selection screen, it should say "127.0.0.1" instead of "127.0.0.2".  See if that works.

Hope this helps. :)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »
i'm having login issues as well. Paragon Chat has worked fine for me since launch up until i last logged off at 2am this morning, but when i tried to connect about 20 minutes ago i received the "Can't connect to DBserver" message after i clicked on the server and waited several minutes. So far i've made 5 attempts with the same result. Relatively certain i didn't change any settings between this morning and now.

Running Win7 pro 64bit.

Edit: Decided to try adding -localhost to the launch parameters and a Windows firewall alert popped up. Telling it to allow Paragon Chat corrected the issue. Interesting.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 03:53:36 AM »
Updated the quick-FAQ on the wiki with these DB error workarounds.
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Chat

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal