Author Topic: Any good Marvel titles?  (Read 2736 times)

AlphaFerret

• Boss
Any good Marvel titles?
« on: July 25, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »
Just wondering if any of the current Marvel offerings are worth picking up.  Everything I scooped up this past year has been a real yawn fest, except for the Miles Morales Spidey.
I have always been a "make mine Marvel" guy, but perhaps it's time to check out DC or Image....

Thanks

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Any good Marvel titles?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »
I haven't actually read any of the newest offerings (apart from the new star wars stuff which is mostly good) but from my sorting of all of them it seems like marvel and dc are in a contest to see who can come up with the dumbest books. so much of the artwork these days is so kiddie looking it makes a lot of it look like novelty titles. last thing of the main marvel universe i read is original sin. the main title of that isn't bad but the rest is the typical event cash-in garbage.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:27:20 AM »
If you are willing to go beyond the big two, I find "Looking for Group" to be very entertaining.  "Uber" isn't for everyone but I like that one too.  You can read all about both series on Wikipedia.

Brutey

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
Looking For Group fell apart at the end of the Kethenica arc and never recovered.  It's still fun to read, in its own way, but the balance between solid fantasy storytelling and hyper-memed pop culture jokes and slapstick that made the comic excellent in its best arcs has been lost - to the joke side of the fence.

As for the topic at hand I agree - most of my favorites (X-Men, Avengers) have just sort of muddled along this year.  I'm just kind of in 'no more monthly money - wait to see if any story arcs this year make it to trades' currently.  I think a lot of people are.  I think a lot of my problem is that there's no real sense of backing for anything new.  I'm enjoying Avenger's AI for what it is, but I'd be surprised if it makes it more than a dozen issues.  Micro-series are kind of the in thing right now but I liked the classic way of doing things.  When you saw something like Amazing Spiderman 250 you knew it was something that wasn't going anywhere. Now you might get 5 different series involving the same characters back to back instead that refer back to the previous series.  I get that it's for trades, but it doesn't feel ... solid.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 06:13:35 PM »
I'm just kind of in 'no more monthly money - wait to see if any story arcs this year make it to trades' currently.  I think a lot of people are. 

Oh wow, I don't think I can count on one hand the comics I've read that would have been worth the cover price, especially not given the absurd amounts they cost now. Maybe Watchmen and the Hunter Rose/early Assante Grendel. The vast majority aren't even worth the time it takes to read much less cash too.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 09:05:54 PM »
Two spring to mind for me. 

First, I would recommend Ms marvel.  It is very well written and a fun book to read.  It captures the fun a
Of a superhero fan now being able to meet her heroes and learn to become one in the process.  Its also a great portal of zygote its like being the first generation of immigrant parents.  The confusion nd conflicts that arise from that are put forth in a realistic and non-insulting manner.  Its not written in the "old ways are bad and outdated, we must do things the new way.. the American way!" That so often creep into these kinds of characters.  Trying to balance what she was gauht growing o, the crape she has for her parents and a more conservative culture alongside what her friends and teenage peers in high school do and trying to fit in, is something that comes across as realistic and not forced (first generation of Filipino immegrants myself. Something I find relatable.). And then the sheer fun she has being a hero really captures the spirit of the old Spider-man stories with a teenage having fun having super powers.    And "embiggen!!" Is a great battle cry :)

And then the second one I'd recommend is The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.  Which is just a huge amount of fun.  Which is something that has been sorely missing from comics for a long time. Or in h case of DC, actively killed off.  I think it was Didio that went on record saying he wanted to get rid of all the "funny" books, Young Justice, Impulse, Superboy, etc.  Squirrel Girl brings out all of the glorious goofiness that is inherent with superheroes and just has fun with it.  From squirrel armor to stealing an Iron Man suit to battle Galactus on the moon, its super hero wackiness at its best.  And if the idea of her squirrel friend, Tippie Toe, flying around in an Iron Man helmet strapped to a repulsor gauntlet isn't amusing to you well then... you obviously find different things amusing :)
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 08:48:47 AM »
You might be interested in Atomic Robo.
The link goes to a story featuring Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking... and the punchline is awesome. ;D
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »
Allow me to second that Atomic Robo is awesome!

There's a new series of issues starting up soon: Atomic Robo and the Ring of Fire #1  --  JUL150380

http://www.atomic-robo.com/blog/no-seriously-preorder

I prefer trade paperback format, but if you want something that comes out monthly, this would be a good things to check out.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 06:10:24 PM »
I made the mistake of subscribing to a variety of titles....I'm about an hour away from the closest comic shop.  I'm just so disappointed in the current state of my former favorites.  I think I'll just wait on stuff that makes it to trade, and maybe finally organize and re-read the fun stuff from the collection.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 06:29:20 PM »
I realized that I didn't actually respond to the OP about what's good from Marvel.  I was subscribed to Spider-man 2099, as I loved the original run in the '90s.  Unfortunately, it got sucked into the last Spider-event and spent 4 issues as a disconnected mess because I don't read any of the related titles in the cross-over.  This is an excellent way to kill a title; massive crossover after issue 4(?). 

Then there was the latest Secret Wars so I don't even know if the title still exists...  I'm probably going to drop it.

For Trades, the Hawkeye series was pretty good.  It's about what he does when he's not Avengering.  Other than that, I don't really know what Marvel has been up to.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 02:01:52 AM »
Ok Marvel's officially out of control (again). They put out ASM 19.1 last week. only there isn't an ASM 19 and the story takes place prior to 18.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 08:36:11 PM »
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 05:44:10 PM »
...it seems like marvel and dc are in a contest to see who can come up with the dumbest books

This. So much this.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 10:05:21 PM »
And just like 'Aliens Vs Predator', no matter who wins, we lose.

TomorrowMan

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 08:14:32 PM »
I don't read any on a regular basis. Marvel and DC are a bit of a hot mess and they're constatly making it so you have to buy multiple titles to read a storyline. I also am not a fan of these writers (like Bendis) who think it's cool to have constant, 'wise-cracking' dialogue. It's annoying. Not all characters would do that. Write the character properly. If you've been reading Marvel, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Honestly, I prefer reading Hellboy, X-O Manowar and Bloodshot. There are others but these three are the ones that immediately come to mind.