Author Topic: Redpool  (Read 1796 times)

Mandu

• Elite Boss
Redpool
« on: August 08, 2015, 02:12:56 AM »
So has anybody else watched the Deadpool redband trailer about a hundred times so far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyKWUTwSYAs

NSFW of course since it's a freaking redband trailer.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Redpool
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 03:08:23 AM »
I watched it once, that was plenty. Giving him a definitive backstory is bad enough without making it a hackneyed cliche too. Blind Al was a pleasant surprise though.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 03:18:22 AM »
My husband and I are so excited.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »
I watched it once, that was plenty. Giving him a definitive backstory is bad enough without making it a hackneyed cliche too. Blind Al was a pleasant surprise though.

The backstory they were going with looked roughly analogous to what I recall from the comics.

It's probably too much to hope for a cameo appearance from Betty White, but I'm looking forward to the movie nonetheless.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »
I don't mind a definitive back story.  Character histories change with every new writer or editor.  What matters most with comic book movies is getting the character right and that is something I never thought I would see in a Deadpool movie.  But it looks like they absolutely nailed it.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
The backstory they were going with looked roughly analogous to what I recall from the comics.

Except you're never quite sure in the comics if it's his actual backstory, if someone's screwing with him (again), or if the author's screwing with us. E.g. look how his daughter came into the picture - from him sleeping with her mother in a jokey retcon of him in a 70s blaxploitation Cage/Fist story.

Maybe personal preference but I liked the backstory where Wade Wilson was just a name he stole from a merc he killed.

Of course if I were in charge of it the backstory would be an A-Team style voiceover - "In 1990 a popular villain from another company's teen team mag got even more popular by showing up in a certain pointy eared character's books. So the most '90s author ever decided to palette swap the exact same character but change the name very slightly. the 'new' character then got really popular despite writing of sporadic quality and an awful movie version that we're still very, very sorry for. And now, Sessions presents...Deadpool.'

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:36:25 PM »
I hope they're not done with the CGI. They all look like they're on the downslide of the uncanny valley. Even when I'm sure it's RR in the suit, it looks weird.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »
I hope they're not done with the CGI. They all look like they're on the downslide of the uncanny valley. Even when I'm sure it's RR in the suit, it looks weird.

I think the slightly odd cartoonish look is possibly intentional and certainly fitting.

I wonder if this is going to have a 3D version, and if there will be a fourth wall breaking moment where he prefaces an action bit by mentioning it's going to look awesome in 3D...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.