Author Topic: Island Rum: Connecting to DbServer 127.12.34.56:7000 (UDP) cookie: 0.. error  (Read 4426 times)

Fulgin

• Minion
Several Mac users have reported the following problem when using Island Rum.  The client loads correctly and accepts the login, then shows the only available server as '127.0.0.1'  Attempting to login via that server leads to a "Can't connect to DBserver" error.  The final line of the log (/library/logs/unity/player.log) displays the line "Connecting to DbServer 127.12.34.56:7000 (UDP) cookie: 0.. "

If anyone has successfully launched the client via a Mac, please check your player log and post the final line here - or post any line which starts with "Connecting to DbServer..."

OMCS

• Minion
So I've discovered something very interesting that could help everyone experiencing this issue. I went to log into PC today and a DBServer error popped up - wouldn't you know, it was exactly the same one this thread describes.

I was then reading a post I'd made in another thread where I was talking about the version of wine I was using, I said I'd tried it both with the stable and dev (1.7) versions. Then I remembered that the only version I'd actually been in game (not just the character creator) with was 1.7 and I downgraded after that because I needed the stable version for another app.

So... I reinstalled the dev version of wine using the following terminal command:

Code: [Select]
brew reinstall --devel --without-x11 wine
It works! I'd encourage anyone having this issue to reinstall wine using the command above (might want to grab a cup of tea / coffee / beverage of choice as it'll take a while to compile) and attempt to log in again.

The appropriate line in the log (where 64 is my network IP) now reads:

Code: [Select]
Connecting to DbServer 192.168.1.64:7000 (UDP) cookie: 0..
Screenshot:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:06:22 PM by OMCS »

Fulgin

• Minion
Reinstalling Wine as specified brings up the Paragon Chat interface, but it won't launch the client.  Here's the error log:

fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap (0x9a0000, 0x0) stub
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
err:module:import_dll Library GLU32.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\Applications\\coh\\cityofheroes.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\Applications\\coh\\cityofheroes.exe" failed, status c0000135

OMCS

• Minion
Alright, this could get messy. I can definitely give you some instructions for how to fix this (and other issues you might run into) but I'm going to have to add the disclaimer that while the following instructions did work for me personally, I don't recommend people try these unless they absolutely can't get things working the official way, and I take no responsibility for any issues that might arise. Presumably other people managed to get in using the regular version of wine and IR, so it could be down to a specific quirk shared by a small number of Macs.

Now that that's out of the way... I ran into that issue when I was first getting PC working but I was hoping it was specific to my setup. The way to fix it is to find a copy of glu32.dll (ideally from a Windows system, it should be about 128kb in size) and put it in /Applications/coh. Once that's done try logging in and you should find that the client comes up, but you may receive a directx error. You may also receive a directinput error.

The way I fixed this was to open up winecfg (run winecfg in a terminal), go to the Libraries tab, find dinput in the library list, click edit, select 'Builtin, then Native', click ok and finally click apply. After that try logging in and see what you get.

Your winecfg should look something like this:

Fulgin

• Minion
No joy, I'm afraid.  Ran it as you said and got this error:

err:module:import_dll Loading library GLU32.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\Applications\\coh\\cityofheroes.exe") failed (error c000007b).

OMCS

• Minion
Hmm - back to the drawing board! I've found a way to (at least on my machine) get rid of the DbServer error with the regular, stable version of wine. As a bonus it doesn't seem to require any changes to the wine config, either.

I'm sorry to have to ask you to do this (I know it's a pain installing and reinstalling things) but if you can reinstall the stable version of wine (brew reinstall wine) and then before you start Island Rum run sudo ifconfig lo0 down, entering your password when prompted (don't worry when you don't see asterisks appearing as you type characters, the sudo command is weird like that.). After doing that I checked the relevant line in the log file and it matches the line I found using a later version of wine. The result of that is that I can log in and wander around Atlas just fine.

As far as I know the DbServer error is caused by some strange interaction between wine and the loopback interface on Macs. I'd appreciate it if you let me know if that works for you, if we can get a couple of people to confirm then I can do some more research and get in contact with Manga to see if there's a way to build a permanent fix into Island Rum.

Fulgin

• Minion
The revision to the earlier version of Wine went OK, but I'm still getting the glu32.dll error:

err:module:import_dll Loading library GLU32.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\Applications\\coh\\cityofheroes.exe") failed (error c000007b)

Any thoughts?  I'm willing to keep debugging if you are.

OMCS

• Minion
Sure, we've come this far and I'm sure anyone else who is having issues getting in on their Mac would appreciate it if we could fix this. First, ensure everything related to IR, PC, CoH, etc. is closed. There will be a (hidden) directory in your home directory called .wine, run mv ~/.wine ~/.wine.backup - what that will do is reset your wine install and any library overrides which I suspect could be causing issues.

Next, you'll need to run the following command: winetricks d3dx9 vcrun2008 msls31 winhttp. This will reinstall the required CoH dependencies. Should you receive that dll error again then try deleting the glu32.dll from /Applications/coh that I suggested you put there earlier, it's worth a try.

Try that and let me know how you get on. It might take a while but I'm certain we can figure this out. From what I've been able to gather - the loopback fix allows you to literally install wine, install winetricks and then download Island Rum and let it go - then the game will work perfectly as long as you run that command in my previous post to fix the DBServer error before you try to connect (and again if you reboot).

Fulgin

• Minion
OK, before I do all this let me make sure I've got everything straight:

First, run mv ~/.wine ~/.wine.backup
Next, run winetricks d3dx9 vcrun2008 msls31 winhttp
Then, run sudo ifconfig lo0 down

And then launch Island Rum and hope it works.

Sound good?

OMCS

• Minion
That's right, good luck!

Fulgin

• Minion
Still getting the glu32.dll error.  I tried running Island Rum with and without the .dll in the directory.  When it's present, I get a "failed to load" error.  When it's absent, I get a "glu32.dll is missing" error.

Perhaps my copy of glu32.dll is the wrong version?  I pulled it off a computer running Windows 7, and it has a release date of July 13, 2009 and a size of 166K.  Then again, I have gotten as far as the actual client login screen before I started playing around with these changes, and I'm not sure which version (if any) of that .dll was present.

Before, the client was loading, but now it's crashing out even before it loads - I think that's what I'm trying to sy.

BTW, when I reinstalled wine earlier the dialogue indicated that it reinstalled "with --without-x11" in case that makes any difference.

laufeyjarson

• Boss
I have the same issue.  I have not tried messing with the DLL yet, but doing the ifconfig lo0 down got me in once, with bad behavior.  (Actual Lost Connection To Mapserver messages, neat!)

Tried again later, and it didn't work.

Stuck.  Foo.

Knowmad

• Underling
sudo ifconfig lo0 alias 127.12.34.56 up

Actually, sudo ifconfig lo0 down worked better for me.

1. Download Island Rum
2. Follow install directions from post 57 for homebrew, wine, winetricks, etc.
3. sudo ifconfig lo0 down
4. Launch paragon chat and coh from there.
5. Wander around AP and Steel trying various slash commands/emotes.

The Titan Icon launch generates the usual memory error.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:16:26 PM by Knowmad »

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
The 'sudo ifconfig lo0 down' command worked for me. Thanks very much!