Author Topic: Can't Connect to DBserver  (Read 7991 times)

Kitty Chow

• Underling
Can't Connect to DBserver
« on: July 14, 2015, 02:25:56 AM »
So, I finally got everything patched and ready to go. I login in and agree to be awesome. Then I click on the server and it says I cannot connect. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Can't Connect to DBserver
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 03:57:33 AM »
More details would be helpful. What OS and version you're using, what launcher (if any) are you using, what version Paragon Chat says in the title bar, exact text of the error and exactly when it happens. We can't use ESP to figure out your issues.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Kitty Chow

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 04:20:35 AM »
Ah, sorry about that. I do not know much about computers.
Version: Packet 3
Paragon Chat: 0.97d

So, basically, I click on Paragon Chat and Launch City of Heroes, that's where I have the trouble. I make it far enough to where I have to agree to be awesome, takes me to where I have to click on the server, I click on it and wait. Then it gives me the error message.

I was able to get into City of Heroes via Icon and make a character and get into Atlas Park. 

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 04:57:15 AM »
Most of the reports I am seeing about "can't connect to dbserver" seem to be happening in Windows XP. I will install it on a spare computer and see if I can reproduce it, because it's starting to really smell like an OS issue.

Kitty Chow

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 05:46:47 AM »
I hope it's not, but if it is, at least come September I can fix that.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 12:39:06 PM »
I'm not sure if this helps other than to show that there can be multiple causes for this behavior. I get the same problem when I have too many graphical programs open for my butt-tastic on board video to process. Once I close all the other games, Youtube videos, art programs, etc. and restart Paragon Chat, it's fine. It's a resource contention problem.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 07:01:28 PM »
Ah, sorry about that. I do not know much about computers.
Version: Packet 3
Paragon Chat: 0.97d

So, basically, I click on Paragon Chat and Launch City of Heroes, that's where I have the trouble. I make it far enough to where I have to agree to be awesome, takes me to where I have to click on the server, I click on it and wait. Then it gives me the error message.

I was able to get into City of Heroes via Icon and make a character and get into Atlas Park.

The two solutions I've found so far for this specific problem that have helped some players are:

1.  Make sure you do not close the Paragon Chat window.  Some users were closing Paragon Chat after launching City of Heroes.  The Paragon Chat panel that just looks like a launcher is actually the server that makes Paragon Chat work.  If you close it, you will not be able to log into the server.  If you close it after you log in and while in the character creator, that will work but then the client will freeze when you try to enter the game.  If you close it while inside an active zone you will suddenly get mapserver disconnected.

2.  Some users have reported the -localhost switch helps on some Windows platforms.  If you are launching Paragon Chat from within Tequila, add "-localhost" to the launcher options in Tequila (Options -> Launcher Options at the top of the panel that opens).  If you are starting Paragon Chat directly, you will need to make a shortcut to Paragon Chat first.  Right Click Paragon Chat and select "Create shortcut".  Then right click the shortcut and select "Properties."  On the Target line, go to the very end and add a space, then "-localhost" at the end.  Then say ok, and double click the shortcut to run Paragon Chat instead of the original executable.  When you get to the server selection screen, it should say "127.0.0.1" instead of "127.0.0.2".  See if that works.

Note: your Windows XP version is probably "SP3" which means service pack 3, not packet 3.  Service Packs are what Microsoft calls big bunches of updates to Windows.

Kitty Chow

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 01:38:36 AM »
Thank you Arcana, that worked! I'm in!

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 01:15:44 AM »
Any word on this issue for us XP laggards who are still experiencing it as of .99 beta?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 03:59:58 AM »
If -localhost and allowing it in the firewall settings doesn't work for you, I have a workaround planned. However, it requires patching the client exe, which is something that up to this point PC hasn't been doing, so I still need to work out a mechanism to do that while raising the least number of security red flags from stupid antivirus scanners.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 12:06:46 AM »
Neither strategy has worked for me, no.  I've whitelisted Paragon Chat and the COH client everywhere I could think of, but to no avail.  I'd have no problem with a patch for the client itself; I can always save backups, after all.  Thanks for all your hard work!

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 12:49:37 PM »
Try checking to see if you have a hosts file.

Open My Computer and navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

There should be a file named hosts with no file extension in the etc folder.

Open it in Notepad and make sure the first line without a # is 127.0.0.1 localhost

If the file is missing, create a new text file in the etc folder, enter 127.0.0.1 localhost into it and save it as hosts after selecting All files in the dropdown so it won't have an extension.

Don't know for sure if this will help, but it might be worth a shot. :)

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 10:23:43 PM »
That was certainly worth a look, but the "127.0.0.1 localhost" line was in the hosts file just as you said it would be, so there was nothing for me to change.  Right?

When I use -localhost in Tequila's launch parameters it gives me the 127.0.0.1 server option, which I can then connect to and create characters in.  However, when I complete character creation and try to enter the game I get a "can't connect to mapserver" error after a lengthy wait.

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 07:18:26 AM »
Ah, I thought maybe you were getting "Can't Connect to DB server" and using -localhost wasn't solving that error. Now that you mention it, I do recall you saying that you were getting mapserved in another post, but I forgot. My apologies.

Hmm, I wonder if using the -offline command line switch would do anything? You wouldn't be able to chat with anyone, but if it gets you past the mapserver error, at least that could confirm that the problem is internet related or not. If -offline works, perhaps something running in the background is interfering with Paragon Chat.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 03:10:38 PM »
-offline made no difference, but I appreciate the notion.