Author Topic: Paragon Chat Development Roadmap and Wishlist  (Read 219327 times)

Golden Aurora

• Boss
Re: Paragon Chat Development Roadmap and Wishlist
« Reply #180 on: July 27, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »
The way I personally view it was that if a player were significant enough to attract personal dev attention, and they died in a way tragic enough for the playerbase to desire devoting the resources, they deserve their spot beside Atlas.

The server he was from really means very little to me in this context.

The most any human can ever aspire to is to change the world around them and be remembered fondly, after all.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »
The way I personally view it was that if a player were significant enough to attract personal dev attention, and they died in a way tragic enough for the playerbase to desire devoting the resources, they deserve their spot beside Atlas.

The server he was from really means very little to me in this context.

The most any human can ever aspire to is to change the world around them and be remembered fondly, after all.

Well, I can't decide if this is truly a good idea. On one hand, I don't want to think we're comparing our lost friends as you would those lost in an actual war.

On the other hand, I love the sentiment and a "wall" with names split up by server would allow for all players to receive their due. See above - it may not be taken with same intent to all.

Perhaps adding player NPCs to an echo zone? Have avatars of fallen players in Galaxy. You could rename districts by server name. Perhaps an Atlas Park 33 zone created with renamed server zones
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

APUK2015

• Underling
  • EU Player, RPer and MA geek
« Reply #182 on: July 28, 2015, 11:10:22 PM »
So them MA terminals allow you to create stuff to be saved to a local folder, eh?
Just sayin' :)

Well done, people. This is freaking awesome!
Running around in the maps (including original flavour Galaxy City), costume creating, freaking boombox (which I never thought I'd be glad to see *ever again* - but I totes am!)

Keep up the good work.

• Underling
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2015, 01:27:22 AM »
I just wanted to say: Thank you for all the work you've put into this so far. You've done great. Watching people come together in various spots, even just to gab and talk has been enjoyable. The 'run-throughs' have been great as well.
Thanks AvatarDavis

Aceaer

• Underling
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2015, 07:47:04 AM »
Is there any way we can get an unlock on Rularu weapons in the game? I so miss being able to look at my beautiful eyeball encrusted shield.

Void Huntress

• Minion
« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2015, 10:26:51 PM »
Known issue. I was silly and assumed that the client would be sensible, so Paragon Chat automatically rejoins any channels that the client has saved in the chat settings it sends. But it turns out the client doesn't actually clean those up when you leave a channel. It probably depended on the global chat server to tell it what channels it's a member of and to actually use.

I'll need to devise a new way of saving that information. Probably using the XMPP bookmark mechanism similar to other XMPP clients. That will make channel membership account-wide instead of per-character, but that's similar to how it worked in the live game anyway, so it shouldn't come as too much of a shock.

Similarly, ignore lists are not saved from session to session. Hopefully this is known too and can be fixed a similar way?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2015, 01:27:23 AM »
Ignore lists should be saved, with one exception. There is a known issue that if you are logged in more than once when the server-side privacy list is first created (i.e. when you ignore the first person starting with a blank list), Paragon Chat won't be able to mark that list as the default for your account, so it won't be activated when you log in again.

This typically only happens if you are also logged in with a mobile or desktop XMPP client when you put the first person on ignore.

There is a fix pending, but a workaround is to make sure you are logged out of all clients using your account, log in to Paragon Chat, and place someone on ignore. Once you do that, the new list will be set as the default serverside and will persist across sessions, even if you log in multiple times afterward.

Aceaer

• Underling
« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2015, 05:49:56 AM »
Just wanted to mention, since I didn't previously. You're doing an amazing job on this, thank you so much for your efforts, and I'll probably be logged on 24/7 once travel powers are introduced.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2015, 11:26:32 AM »
Top work indeed.  It's the emphasis on quality and doing a good job that I like.

My feature request is 'be npc.'

This could be useful with the GM powers planned in medium term future releases.  Be great for role play.  It's possible in icon.  I wonder how hard it would be to do it in Paragon Chat minus giant npcs re: grieving issues..?  (I suppose there could be an ignore list for any giant npcs...?)

It could also be interesting in terms of the far flung future update of pvp capability is add a real human being factor to street sweeping..?  A hero versus a couple of mates as villain npcs in general or private gm zones..?

or even architect missions beyond that..?

Wish list :D

Azrael.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2015, 09:39:15 AM »
My feature request is 'be npc.'

This could be useful with the GM powers planned in medium term future releases.  Be great for role play.  It's possible in icon.  I wonder how hard it would be to do it in Paragon Chat minus giant npcs re: grieving issues..?  (I suppose there could be an ignore list for any giant npcs...?)

This is one that has been discussed previously, the problem is less technological and more operational, vis-a-vis griefing and other related issues.  Its conceptually partially linked to spawning NPCs and would likely be addressed in similar contexts and in similar timeframes.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2015, 04:43:04 PM »
This is one that has been discussed previously, the problem is less technological and more operational, vis-a-vis griefing and other related issues.  Its conceptually partially linked to spawning NPCs and would likely be addressed in similar contexts and in similar timeframes.

Thanks, Arcana.  My suggestion was one of 'in principle' can it be done.  I'd expect it to be a 'far off' feature in regards PVP handover to a 'real time' server service?

I always felt the 'red tram lines' on the hero maps was a wasted opportunity for 'City of Villains'.  I felt a lot of work went into creating geometry heavy zones when really, all what was needed was villainous archetypes (which we got...) and the ability to 'take on' heroes.  I would have restricted the 'scheming' and PVP'ing to 'red tram lines' in each hero zone...and...used the AE functionality to create 'nemesis' missions for heroes in the game.  Felt a lot of 'sideways' work took City of Heroes 'sideways' to essentially duplicate the same game when City of Heroes could have been 'taken forward' in engine and filling up the many 'empty' zones City of Heroes already had.  Hindsight.

My idea is that as well as AI spawns...you'd have players who could be 'npcs' (of the none huuuuuuge griefing kind...) in red tram zones for that extra bit of 'real' bite to combat.  It's pretty cool to 'benpc' in Icon.  I know that for Paragon Chat it is a different ballgame due to server issues probably...and, as you say, linked to npc spawning..?

It's a 'wish list' idea for the future.  But it could be used in GM/SG private maps.  Used for street sweeping.  It would add an extra dimension to combat and interaction, in a way, taking the 'zones', GM'ing and private map functionality far beyond the original game in that regard.  I think Paragon Studios missed a trick or two in some ways.

With what's planned on Codewalker's timeline...there is a visionary expansion to functionality (I noted the Lua Scripting is one the timeline...) such as GM functionality and spawning private maps as chat rooms.  I can't wait to see how that works.

I know my 'Neverwinter' nights buddy enthused about that game's GM functionality to 'live' generate mobs to provide an element of unpredictability to a 'campaign.'

Adding such powers to a future Paragon Chat (or 'real time' server handover thingie...) entices the mind.

Here is now, though.  I'll be happy with animating doors.  Invite to and chat in teams.  Coh's unique travel powers and the 'not so far away' (?) GM capability (because I'm intrigued...)

Azrael.

PS.  From my 'playing' with SQL and creating 'NPC' costume sets...this can...'kind of' already be done in a manner of speaking.  Eg.  I create myself a Carnie NPC or 'Hollows Troll' NPC.   I get to 'look' like an NPC.  If we consider the 'pending' 1.2 version of Paragon Chat on the horizon...and GM private maps...you could...have that 'real time' role play element for...well...RPGing.  If you have a bunch of friends, one can be the GM, a few the heroes...a few the villains.  IF they've able and familiar with the NPCs they want to play and use SQL to achieve them.  Though you could, if inhibited by SQL, just use the standard Paragon Chat costume creator and 'create' a 'villain' anyhow, I guess. :)

I'm not particularly technical...however, I've managed to play with NPC carnie and 'lost hero' costumes and used the SQL to 'import' / save them into the CoH database.

I guess you could say I'm intrigued by the 'GM powers' in 1.2? :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:12:57 PM by Azrael »

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2015, 11:42:28 PM »
I always felt the 'red tram lines' on the hero maps was a wasted opportunity for 'City of Villains'.  I felt a lot of work went into creating geometry heavy zones when really, all what was needed was villainous archetypes (which we got...) and the ability to 'take on' heroes.  I would have restricted the 'scheming' and PVP'ing to 'red tram lines' in each hero zone...and...used the AE functionality to create 'nemesis' missions for heroes in the game.

Just gonna throw it out there that the "Red Line" was addressed by a Paragon Times article: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Red_Line  http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Times/20050406

Basically it's either destroyed by the Rikti or incorporated into the Yellow Line, but all trains show Red Line for the service it did during the Rikti War.

I'm not saying that there wasn't some awesome lost potential in having villains attack actual tram lines, especially in an instance outside the war walls, but the Red Line itself isn't available for that.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Eventine01

• Underling
  • Cole did nothing wrong!
« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2015, 06:47:33 PM »
vis-a-vis griefing and other related issues

This is something I've noticed. Already, there's griefers in the D harassing the RPers. It's easy enough to block them and move on - thank god for gignore that makes two people invisible to each other - but what is going to be done about these people when they're using the GM tools to harass? Is the gignore function enough to handle that? Or will a discipline system have to be put in place on the main PC XMPP server for people who misuse the GM tools?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2015, 07:10:45 PM »
This is something I've noticed. Already, there's griefers in the D harassing the RPers. It's easy enough to block them and move on - thank god for gignore that makes two people invisible to each other - but what is going to be done about these people when they're using the GM tools to harass? Is the gignore function enough to handle that? Or will a discipline system have to be put in place on the main PC XMPP server for people who misuse the GM tools?

Those people won't have GM tools in the public Pocket D. Only server admins will have those tools in public zones.

Once the private instance support is finished, they'll have GM tools in their own private copy of Pocket D should they create one. But you won't have to deal with them unless they invite you to their instance and you accept. And even then you can leave at any time.

Stonehead

• Underling
« Reply #194 on: August 07, 2015, 05:29:58 PM »
Target Milestone: 1.1
Estimated Completion: Sometime

• Travel modes emulating Fly, Super Speed, Super Jump, Ninja Run, Beast Run, and Walk. Teleport is a possibility but may have technical issues blocking it.

I'm curious... once you've got the basic travel powers emulated, would there be any possibility down the road of also getting the purchasable travel powers to work (i.e. the the flying carpet, the rocket board, the void skiff, the coyote and panther transformations, and the steam jump power)?  I'm sure they're more difficult than the standard travel powers to emulate, but I don't have the knowledge of how much more so.

Thanks,
D

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #195 on: August 07, 2015, 07:15:48 PM »

I'm curious... once you've got the basic travel powers emulated, would there be any possibility down the road of also getting the purchasable travel powers to work (i.e. the the flying carpet, the rocket board, the void skiff, the coyote and panther transformations, and the steam jump power)?  I'm sure they're more difficult than the standard travel powers to emulate, but I don't have the knowledge of how much more so.

Thanks,
D

All travel powers that cause you to specifically move in a particular way (which means: all travel powers that aren't teleport) work by a similar set of mechanisms.  There are some odd hard coded exceptions for strange reasons, like the jump pack, but for the most part getting one travel power working is similar to any other, although each one can potentially take some extra work.  The fundamental mechanism making all of them work is I believe identical, with minor variations.

TL;DR:  Yes.

umber

• Boss
    • My CoH Characters
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2015, 07:53:24 PM »
Wishlist Item:

At the character select screen would it be possible to get back the blue background for hero characters and the red background for villains?  Right now it always seems to be the red background, I'm looking to get updated screenshots such as this instead of them all looking like that.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2015, 09:00:44 PM »
All travel powers that cause you to specifically move in a particular way (which means: all travel powers that aren't teleport) work by a similar set of mechanisms.  There are some odd hard coded exceptions for strange reasons, like the jump pack, but for the most part getting one travel power working is similar to any other, although each one can potentially take some extra work.  The fundamental mechanism making all of them work is I believe identical, with minor variations.

So, things like the Holiday Rocket pack (Jingle Jet) would use the same mechanism as the basic flight travel power (with just customized visual/sound effects?  I would sooo love to see the Jingle Jet back some day.   :)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #198 on: August 10, 2015, 04:08:37 AM »
Wishlist Item:

At the character select screen would it be possible to get back the blue background for hero characters and the red background for villains?  Right now it always seems to be the red background, I'm looking to get updated screenshots such as this instead of them all looking like that.

The colour of the background is dependant on whether you're creating a hero, villain or rogue. Mine is always blue.

Stonehead

• Underling
« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2015, 04:28:36 PM »

Thanks, Arcana! 

D