Author Topic: Launch Day Numbers  (Read 22749 times)

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
Re: Launch Day Numbers
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 01:06:59 AM »
I tried to log in Today.
I get this error.

Manifest download error for http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37952257/Tequila/titanicon.xml
The remote server returned an error: (429) Bandwidth Error.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 01:07:40 AM »
I tried to log in Today.
I get this error.

Manifest download error for http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37952257/Tequila/titanicon.xml
The remote server returned an error: (429) Bandwidth Error.
Download a fresh Tequila: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titan_Icon

Let's not use this thread for any more errors, please.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 03:21:15 AM »
Recommend people with problems see my Common Questions and Problems post, and if it is not resolved there then post in the FAQ thread itself (where that guide is posted) which is here: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10977.0.html.

Both questions posted here are addressed at least in part there.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 05:53:05 AM »
Removed some error chatter from here. Please see Arcana's links.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Vr2Lrose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 07:47:16 AM »
As far as caps go best to play things by ear monitor what rooms instance a lot and the can have higher caps.

Pocket d and Atlas will obviously be big population at first but i estimate
rooms like 

RWZ,  Midnighters, Imperial(club 55) and paragon dance party could become  player hubs as well since we are just maploading the difficulty to get to these spots are removed. They all have good access to tailors and multiple cityzones. and they are small so mapmove will drop you near the action.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 09:19:30 AM »
Since a few people asked, here's a few statistics gathered last night.

The maximum number of concurrent users peaked at around 200. At that time, the XMPP server's CPU usage was about 20-25% (around 1 full core on a 4 core system). Outgoing bandwidth was around 8Mbps at that time, and incoming averaging 2Mbps. Peak traffic was 14Mbps.

At one point we had around 120 players in Atlas. The one hiccup we had was when about 100 of those who were following the livestream all tried to mapmove to Pocket D at once. That caused something to go wrong on the server and it got stuck in a loop using 99% CPU and was unresponsive - chat traffic wasn't being passed. I restarted the service, which kicked everybody out momentarily, and re-established the default 30 player cap for Atlas. Once everybody got back in we had 3 Pocket D instances and 3 Atlas Park Instances.

After things had settled down a bit, I changed Atlas and Pocket D back to being uncapped. So far the issue has not repeated itself. When I get some spare time I'll dig into the server logs to see what it got stuck on.

Since the launch, 788 unique accounts have logged into the Titan XMPP server. No doubt most of those were using Paragon Chat.

I was wondering about the stats myself. ;)

788 is a decent start.

...and many were having technical problems (including myself, trying to download issue 24 which 'hung' half way through.  But I didn't need to.  I already had Issue 24.  All I needed was Paragon Chat.  Once I downloaded that and put it in the i24 'directory' with icon and 'boom' - I was in!)  I think you could safely say it would probably have been closer to 1000+ with all the players who couldn't get on.  That's 1% of the CoH player base at 100k subscribers.  An impressive stat to say almost nobody knows about it.  I woke up at 5am in the morning and checked the forums to see Atlas 'alive' with CoH 'players' on some screen grabs taken by the community.  Simply amazing.

When I got into Atlas a day later?  I was completely blown away.  An actual working server!  The chat window works!!  People logging in.  Standing around and nattering.  Just like they used to do in Coh! :P

I watched the 'log ins' and people kept logging in...they just kept appearing.  The chat is rabid Coh fest (I mean that in a good way) and picked up right where CoH chat left off before the closure.  Except...people are far more excited now.

Creating my alt and logging in to the city.  Walking around.  Using the tunnels.  (They work!)  Finding the 'easter egg' (tastefully done...)  Map Zoning.  Ambient sounds.  Taking in the scenery.  Going to Icon in Steel and setting up my 2nd costume slot.  A working NPC!  :D

Prognosis?

Once word on the street gets out, the spiritual successor communities get wind of it as well as MMO online publications giving Paragon Chat exposure...we'll comfortably dwarf 1000.  I can see Paragon Chat drifting past 5000 and chasing down the 10k number real soon.

Tony V is absolutely right about Paragon Chat.  It will challenge makers of 'rental' software to think about how they treat communities they take (substantial investment) money from.  NC could have handled the closure of CoH much better than they did.  I don't think they did 'exhaust possibilities.'  It seemed 'personal' to me.  But I can't prove that.

Team SCoRE have been svelte and classy as well as inspired.  They've brought the community back with a chat client using CoH client.  Genius.  Because...no IP is distributed or shuttled about.  Very clever.  Is NC going to try and censure a community from 'chatting?'  Good luck with that.  The way the timeline goes...travel powers, trains and even bases will be back 'online' (or 'offline' ;) and the key blocks of the game for many people, chat, travel, costume contents, RPG, bases and probably (at least location based badge hunting?) will be back.  For many people, a lot of the time, this WAS THE GAME!  It wasn't all 'just' about the combat.  I can see Paragon Chat numbers climbing to 5-10k for these 'kind' of CoH players and also, at least just as a 'home' for CoH players.

The only thing missing then will be PVP and NPC combat.

This 'stealth' development by putting tertiary elements back in place before combat will manage expectations and give the team time to work on the more 'difficult' stuff like unbundling powers/PVP/NPC spawning/AI/walk paths etc.

Once that happens, 'BOOM' the blue touch paper will be lit.

Getting the login and player creation screen working, the chat server up and the tunnels up for travel to other zones and the costume tailor working are seminal moments.  We have a running server.  I'm still in shock.  I knew it would happen one day.  I didn't expect it to be before the 3rd anniversary of closure.

A seismic moment.

Azrael.

PS.  We can spread the word.  Avatar builders and casual gamers who like using chat clients would love Paragon Chat.  A place to explore..!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:27:31 AM by Azrael »

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »
Just dropping by to say THANK YOU! to Codewalker and crew (sorry don't know all the names).  I turn 68 this September and to have Paragon Chat up and working was a thing of beauty to behold.    :D  ( :'( yes, I shed a tear for everyone logged in.)  The best b'day present a guy (or gal) could have.  I had PC up on both my tower & my new MSI GT80 notebook (downright awesome!). No problems.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 04:02:52 PM »
After a little hiccup updating files and such I finally got in to Atlas Park about 12:30 am. I never thought I'd see it again. Just walking around our old city and seeing a few familiar names and faces has given me an extra spring in my step today.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this possible.

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »
I was in during the launch/live stream and was not prepared for how much joy I'd feel being there with others. I've played in Icon for so long that I thought I'd be fairly neutral feeling in Paragon Chat, but boy was I wrong.

There is something that just can't replace being in Atlas/Pocket D with people again.

Glad to have been there for the launch...See you all again soon (Hiruko)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
I was in during the launch/live stream and was not prepared for how much joy I'd feel being there with others. I've played in Icon for so long that I thought I'd be fairly neutral feeling in Paragon Chat, but boy was I wrong.

There is something that just can't replace being in Atlas/Pocket D with people again.

Glad to have been there for the launch...See you all again soon (Hiruko)
this is why I didn't really get into Icon very much... it felt too much like a fucking ghost town to me. A post-apocalyptic abandoned waste I was the lone survivor of; doomed to wander until the day I-....

you get the idea.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 11:37:02 PM »
this is why I didn't really get into Icon very much... it felt too much like a pancaking ghost town to me. A post-apocalyptic abandoned waste I was the lone survivor of; doomed to wander until the day I-....
you get the idea.

Icon isn't stable...My character would soon get out of sync and float...then remain there.
I couldn't play with it more than a few minutes, sooner or later it would happen.
Didn't like passing through walls, interesting at first but just cheapens things.

Also didn't like being alone like you said.

Thank the lord for this beta. It was so much fun, felt like registering for College or something,
everyone standing around 8)
Will try it again Tonight.! Thank you all TonyV and code duuudes   :roll:

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 04:32:48 AM »
Icon isn't stable...My character would soon get out of sync and float...then remain there.
I couldn't play with it more than a few minutes, sooner or later it would happen.
Didn't like passing through walls, interesting at first but just cheapens things.

You should stop pressing F5 to toggle noclip mode to avoid that 'problem' :P

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 05:15:25 AM »
Yezz, Thank you. It is wonderful to see friends again :roll:

emperorsteele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 01:12:52 AM »
Oh wow, so sad I missed all this. Downloading everything now, maybe I'll see a familiar face or two tomorrow =)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2015, 10:35:29 PM »
Some might have been chat clients, but conversely there are still a lot of people either having difficulty setting up Paragon Chat, just plain downloading Paragon Chat or the I24 client, or having other technical difficulties that make it impossible for them to log in yet.  I would not be surprised to see that number double in a week or so.

or are too busy...  :'( university deadlines...

There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 11:16:28 PM »
You gonna post any first week numbers for us CW?
Only if you have some and when you find time. I know you're not busy or anything  ;)
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2015, 03:40:40 AM »
I haven't been keeping detailed stats, but have noticed that we tend to average around 60-90 concurrent users during "prime time" (6PM to 1AM US Eastern time), sometimes peaking at around 100.

So far, 2,189 unique users have logged in to the chat service. Most are likely using Paragon Chat, but some probably are only using a standard XMPP client.

Here's some graphs.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2015, 06:01:40 AM »
that's not to shabby all things considered.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 03:47:00 AM »
I get a feeling a majority of those are very likely roleplayers.  I saw some CO players come to paragon chat, even, though so far only cool ones(thank goodness :).)  I have invited some of those I did like at CO over, I hope to encounter them soon.  Only roleplayers, obviously, and ones I like.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

caine6900

• Minion
  • I love City of Heroes
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 05:43:45 AM »
Yea ncsoft should see these numbers and restart the game back up.