Author Topic: Connect to Paragon Chat XMPP server without Paragon Chat?  (Read 7922 times)

BitLoadR

• Lieutenant
  • <F6> <F6> <F6> ...
Connect to Paragon Chat XMPP server without Paragon Chat?
« on: July 08, 2015, 07:13:40 AM »
I read some people were trying / able to use Trillian (or similar programs) to connect to the Paragon Chat XMPP server and join in on the conversations.

But how? And what connection data and / or settings do I need to make that work?
That way I can join the chats when I'm not on my gaming system, yet still want to join in on some social fun.

Anyone?
playing on Reunion as Star Jewel, Emberflair, Lumitia, Novaspark, Dawnshade, Mystfure, Ion Blaze, Heatstrike, more...

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: Connect to Paragon Chat XMPP server without Paragon Chat?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:23:38 AM »
I read some people were trying / able to use Trillian (or similar programs) to connect to the Paragon Chat XMPP server and join in on the conversations.

But how? And what connection data and / or settings do I need to make that work?
That way I can join the chats when I'm not on my gaming system, yet still want to join in on some social fun.

Anyone?

Just point an XMPP compatible client to chat.cohtitan.com, log in with your titan login (i.e. username: Arcana, domain: chat.cohtitan.com), browse for conference rooms on conference.chat.cohtitan.com.  You'll see names of conference rooms that are analogous to City of Heroes zones, i.e. atlaspark.  Joining those puts you in the broadcast chat of that zone.  There's a special ParagonChat room which is considered the "global chat" of the entire system.  Join that, and you should be able to see what people are chatting about on the XMPP server.

In fact, I had my own chat client (pidgin) connected to the titan server, not even joined to any rooms, just to test it, then logged into Paragon Chat itself.  After a bit, I logged out of Paragon Chat but someone in-game actually tried to send me a private tell after I logged out.  I know this because I didn't notice this at the time, but the tell showed up in my pidgin client.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:48:13 AM »
Note that the conference service is named paragon.chat.cohtitan.com

BitLoadR

• Lieutenant
  • <F6> <F6> <F6> ...
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 12:59:57 PM »
I thought this would be simple.
But trying to connect to the service with my Android XMPP client proves to be rather difficult.
And every client I've tried so far uses different terminology thus challenging me to try different settings.
While all I want is to get into the global chat.
 :(
playing on Reunion as Star Jewel, Emberflair, Lumitia, Novaspark, Dawnshade, Mystfure, Ion Blaze, Heatstrike, more...

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:07:48 PM »
In a perfect world, all you should need is your Jabber ID, which will look something like bitloader@chat.cohtitan.com

Which client are you using?

While most desktop clients work reasonably well, there unfortunately seems to be a depressingly small number of Android and iOS XMPP clients that actually work and are easy to set up. Even less that support multi-user chat rooms.

BitLoadR

• Lieutenant
  • <F6> <F6> <F6> ...
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 01:19:31 PM »
I've been trying a few on my Android, but I like Trillian.
So, it looks like it's connecting properly, but I have no idea how to join in on the global chat.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 02:18:48 PM »
Ah, that one I can help with. Trillian is an odd one, but I've heard it works well once you get it set up.

Apparently Trillian for Android supports XMPP chatrooms, but doesn't have a way to actually join them from the Android version. So you have to run the desktop version once, join all the rooms you want to be in, and then they'll show up on the mobile version when you log in there via its contact list syncing.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »
Note that the conference service is named paragon.chat.cohtitan.com

Whoops, slipped my mind.  Since it comes up automatically when you connect with pidgin, I keep forgetting its different on the Titan server.

BitLoadR

• Lieutenant
  • <F6> <F6> <F6> ...
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:06:48 PM »
I've managed to get connected to "paragonchat" global channel with Xabber for Android. Took some tinkering with the settings, but it works.

InOnePiece

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 03:37:30 AM »
Anyone figured out how to do this with Monal, or can you recommend a better iOS app?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 03:51:04 AM »
Anyone figured out how to do this with Monal, or can you recommend a better iOS app?

I just downloaded Monal, and it works fine for me.  First, go to active accounts, and add a new XMPP.  Set your jabber id to the same thing you put into Paragon Chat, i.e. Arcana@chat.cohtitan.com (replace Arcana with your login name).  Enter your Titan password, and slide "Enabled" to on.  Leave everything else alone.

Then hit the "More..." button at bottom right, go to "Group Chat" and enter "paragonchat" for the Room Name and say Join.  You should now be in the ParagonChat global chat channel.  You can also get a list of rooms if you want to broadcast in a single zone for some reason, or chat on other global channels that have been created on the server (or enter their name if you know it).  ParagonChat should now be in your Active Chats on the main screen.

InOnePiece

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 01:33:12 PM »
Thanks Arcana, it looks like that worked. I think where I messed up was trying to put paragonchat.chat.cohtitan.com, instead of just paragonchat. I appreciate the help!