Author Topic: Paragon Chat FAAAQ  (Read 312464 times)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ
« Reply #420 on: July 11, 2015, 10:31:44 PM »
It is, I meant to say the entire folder is on my desktop.

That's not really the best place, the path length could be quite long and might contain non alphanumeric characters which seem to cause problems. Copy it to a folder off your HD's root folder and try that.

SkyeSharpe

• Underling
« Reply #421 on: July 11, 2015, 11:34:35 PM »
Copied my COH folder and all contents into C:\COH, redirected Tequila to that folder. Same problem.
Ran indepentantly, same problem.

Same story with -localhost, -pcdir, antivirus on/off, exceptions added to firewall and avast!, and running as administrator.

caine6900

• Minion
  • I love City of Heroes
« Reply #422 on: July 12, 2015, 12:19:45 AM »
Thank you for the list I am going to post this on a few of the COH sites on FaceBook. Again thanks!
Layne B Landis

Mental Maden

• Boss

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #424 on: July 12, 2015, 01:10:16 PM »
Copied my COH folder and all contents into C:\COH, redirected Tequila to that folder. Same problem.
Ran indepentantly, same problem.

Same story with -localhost, -pcdir, antivirus on/off, exceptions added to firewall and avast!, and running as administrator.

Glad I'm not alone in this.  Without -localhost I can't get past the server connect.  With -localhost I can get to the character creator, but get a mapserver connect error.  Doesn't matter where I move things, what I disable...I get the same errors every time.

I wonder if Avast itself is the problem...if perhaps its mere existence conflicts with Paragon Chat or COH.  I for one would happily dump it anyway...it's kind of a resource hog sometimes.  Any suggestions for a better free antivirus program that works with Windows XP would be welcome!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #425 on: July 12, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
Glad I'm not alone in this.  Without -localhost I can't get past the server connect.  With -localhost I can get to the character creator, but get a mapserver connect error.  Doesn't matter where I move things, what I disable...I get the same errors every time.

I wonder if Avast itself is the problem...if its mere existence conflicts with Paragon Chat or COH.  I for one would happily dump it anyway...it's kind of a resource hog sometimes.  Any suggestions for a better free antivirus program that works with Windows XP would be welcome!

I use Avast, and have zero problems with it.

Get rid of XP. You shouldn't be using that crap these days anyway. God knows how much malware you've got infesting your system...

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #426 on: July 12, 2015, 01:38:55 PM »
Get rid of XP. You shouldn't be using that crap these days anyway. God knows how much malware you've got infesting your system...

Not til I get a new rig, and the time for that is not now...and when the time does come, we'll see if Microsoft has managed to release a decent OS.  ("Here's 8.  Oh, sorry, it sucks.  Here's 9.  Oh, sorry, it really sucks, LOL.  Here's 10...")  Now, I understand if making Paragon Chat XP compliant isn't on anyone's to-do list, and I accept that.  I don't expect to be catered to.  But if it is possible, and there is an answer, I'd like to know about it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:44:45 PM by Blackshear »

Antipode

« Reply #427 on: July 12, 2015, 01:41:27 PM »
Just to throw it out there, as Skye's friend, I know he's running Windows 7, so it's not his OS that's doing it to him at any rate.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #428 on: July 12, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »
Not til I get a new rig, and the time for that is not now...and when the time does come, we'll see if Microsoft has managed to release a decent OS.  ("Here's 8.  Oh, sorry, it sucks.  Here's 9.  Oh, sorry, it really sucks, LOL.  Here's 10...")  Now, I understand if making Paragon Chat XP compliant isn't on anyone's to-do list, and I accept that.  But if it is possible, and there is an answer, I'd like to know about it.
XP isn't your problem, and I agree. This may seem like a really basic question but... are you logging in as an Admin or a User? That may make a difference.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #429 on: July 12, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »
This may seem like a really basic question but... are you logging in as an Admin or a User? That may make a difference.

I welcome any constructive input.  My sole account on this machine is Admin.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:58:09 PM by Blackshear »

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #430 on: July 12, 2015, 07:43:18 PM »
Not til I get a new rig, and the time for that is not now...and when the time does come, we'll see if Microsoft has managed to release a decent OS.  ("Here's 8.  Oh, sorry, it sucks.  Here's 9.  Oh, sorry, it really sucks, LOL.  Here's 10...")  Now, I understand if making Paragon Chat XP compliant isn't on anyone's to-do list, and I accept that.  I don't expect to be catered to.  But if it is possible, and there is an answer, I'd like to know about it.
unless you have a single-core CPU machine with less than 1.5 gigs of ram, seriously, upgrade to 7 or 10. Anything newer than vista is better optimized on the same hardware than XP. (especially if you attach an SD card for readyboost)

That said, just because you account is an administrator, does not mean that all applications are running with admin-level permissions. Right click and select "run as administrator" or whatever the exact wording is in XP. Also check firewall setting. in XP, that's done most easily by the Run menu, firewall.cpl
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #431 on: July 12, 2015, 08:51:19 PM »
I welcome any constructive input.  My sole account on this machine is Admin.

Have you tried completely uninstalling Avast? It's something I keep seeing in the context of people who are running into the can't connect to dbserver error, so it might be worth a try if possible.

You can always reinstall it afterwards once we know if that's the cause or not.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2015, 01:30:54 AM »
Have you tried completely uninstalling Avast? It's something I keep seeing in the context of people who are running into the can't connect to dbserver error, so it might be worth a try if possible.

You can always reinstall it afterwards once we know if that's the cause or not.

Gave it a shot!  No dice, though.  To recap, I did the following:

Uninstalled Avast.
Cleaned the registry with CCleaner.
Rebooted machine.
Ran Tequila.
Used Tequila to start Paragon Chat.
Used PC to boot COH, first without -localhost:  dbserver error at the server select screen (127.0.0.2).
Closed everything.
Tequila  --> Paragon Chat --> COH, this time with -localhost enabled.
Went from 127.0.0.1 to character creator.
Created character, got as far as "finish character creator and enter game" screen:  mapserver error.

Installed AVG, just to see if I like it better.  And here we are.

For the record, and perhaps this is important, I never get a picture in my little Paragon Chat window, just a gray field and, below that, the login stuff.  No clue if that's related, but that is also a thing that is happening.

Thanks for your attention!  I remain hopeful.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #433 on: July 13, 2015, 02:05:40 AM »
Gave it a shot!  No dice, though.  To recap, I did the following:

Uninstalled Avast.
Cleaned the registry with CCleaner.
Rebooted machine.
Ran Tequila.
Used Tequila to start Paragon Chat.
Used PC to boot COH, first without -localhost:  dbserver error at the server select screen (127.0.0.2).
Closed everything.
Tequila  --> Paragon Chat --> COH, this time with -localhost enabled.
Went from 127.0.0.1 to character creator.
Created character, got as far as "finish character creator and enter game" screen:  mapserver error.

Installed AVG, just to see if I like it better.  And here we are.

For the record, and perhaps this is important, I never get a picture in my little Paragon Chat window, just a gray field and, below that, the login stuff.  No clue if that's related, but that is also a thing that is happening.

Thanks for your attention!  I remain hopeful.

Do you have IPv6 enabled on your system?  If so, try disabling IPv6 and rebooting.  It seems odd to me that you can't connect on 127.0.0.2 on Windows XP, but can on 127.0.0.1, so I'm playing a hunch.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2015, 02:16:00 AM »
Do you have IPv6 enabled on your system?  If so, try disabling IPv6 and rebooting.  It seems odd to me that you can't connect on 127.0.0.2 on Windows XP, but can on 127.0.0.1, so I'm playing a hunch.

IPv4, looks like.  Does XP even do IPv6?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #435 on: July 13, 2015, 03:01:34 AM »

Did you download Paragon Chat with Tequila, or did you download directly using the 0.97c direct download link?  Because if you aren't seeing the laptop picture on the Paragon Chat sign in panel, I can only assume either your copy of Paragon Chat is corrupted, or something on your computer is just not running the windows app correctly at all, some sort of system damage or corruption of some kind.

If you downloaded with Tequila, try the direct download link.  When you save it, do a Save As and save it into the same directory as Paragon Chat but name it ParagonChat-0.97c.exe.  That way you don't overwrite your old copy.  Try running the fresh copy and see if anything is different.

Corewalker: what can cause resources to not load correctly in panels?  Could it be a problem with .NET?  Does Paragon Chat need libraries that some Windows XP people might have out of date copies of?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #436 on: July 13, 2015, 03:20:05 AM »
It's because the the resource is an icon and it's using PNG encoding for the 256x256 image, which Windows XP does not support.

The next release has that fixed, with compression turned on for the larger sizes of the other icon to make up for the ~300k size difference.

It's not related to the network problems at all.

I'm probably going to end up hacking a copy of Cityofheroes.exe to disable its stupid 127.0.0.1 behavior and see if that works.

TearsFromtheMoon

• Underling
  • I'm a Hummingbird on the wind...
« Reply #437 on: July 13, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
Hey guys, I actually have tried scouring the forums for the answer to my question but to no avail. Can anyone answer me why perhaps my old Costume Files from when I played CoH won't work/show-up in Icon and/or the Paragon Chat character creator? It says you should be able to drop the costume files into the costume folder and they should show up once you do this in Icon and/or in the CoH Character Creator/Paragon Chat after, of course, you probably hit the "Load" option for costumes. Is there a step I'm missing? Do I need to convert the files or something else?

I spent hours often times in Costume creator, I was really hoping to save myself some time and headache from having to recreate costumes again for toons for Paragon Chat, so any help or insight on this matter would be much appreciated in order to save me hair tearing out and hours.  ;) ;D
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #438 on: July 13, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »
Hey guys, I actually have tried scouring the forums for the answer to my question but to no avail. Can anyone answer me why perhaps my old Costume Files from when I played CoH won't work/show-up in Icon and/or the Paragon Chat character creator? It says you should be able to drop the costume files into the costume folder and they should show up once you do this in Icon and/or in the CoH Character Creator/Paragon Chat after, of course, you probably hit the "Load" option for costumes. Is there a step I'm missing? Do I need to convert the files or something else?

I spent hours often times in Costume creator, I was really hoping to save myself some time and headache from having to recreate costumes again for toons for Paragon Chat, so any help or insight on this matter would be much appreciated in order to save me hair tearing out and hours.  ;) ;D

What path, exactly, are the .costume files located in.  It should be under the CoH game folder in a subfolder called "costumes".
What is the file type, exactly as Explorer shows it. It should say "COSTUME file", if it doesn't it won't load it

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #439 on: July 13, 2015, 04:52:18 PM »
Hey, there's a thought... Has anyone told Samuraiko about Paragon Chat?

I can just imagine the riot I would start if I showed up and shouted, "WHO WANTS TO BE IN A VIDEO?!"
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com