Author Topic: Paragon Chat FAAAQ  (Read 312671 times)

Raccoon

• Underling
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ
« Reply #360 on: July 09, 2015, 01:11:55 AM »
Alright, I got it. User error. I use WindowBlinds and it was trying to skin it. I vaguely recall that being an issue from the old days.

For others that stumble across this, go to the gear in the upper right (settings) and add it to the Per Application tab as a full exclusion.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #361 on: July 09, 2015, 03:15:23 AM »
After I login to XMPP in the Paragon Chat client and click "Launch City of Heroes", I go to the old blue "Loading..." bar, but it just hangs there forever. I've added exceptions to my firewall, turned off Norton, reinstalled it from scratch, and nothing. All my drivers are up to date too. I'm stumped.
If you're using windows 8, 8.1, or 10, Windows has special security features added to its core folders such as System, System32, program files, and Program files_x86. (to a lesser extent these protections also exist in vista and 7) Because of this, legacy games built prior to the release of windows 8 (and particularly really old ones built around directX 9) may hang in various odd ways.

The easiest way around this is not to allow these old games to install into "Program Files," but instead install to another folder which lacks the extra security protections. I created a folder called C:\Games, and then make sub folder for each legacy type game I put in there... so Icon and Paragon Chat go in C:\Games\COH.

and yeah, window blinds could do it too, particularly if the game is set to run in windowed mode instead of full screen.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Thezanman

• Underling
« Reply #362 on: July 09, 2015, 03:16:31 AM »
Alright, I got it. User error. I use WindowBlinds and it was trying to skin it. I vaguely recall that being an issue from the old days.

For others that stumble across this, go to the gear in the upper right (settings) and add it to the Per Application tab as a full exclusion.
I'm having the same problem but I don't have WindowBlinds.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #363 on: July 09, 2015, 03:34:46 AM »
Using the -localhost trick in Tequila I am now getting as far as the character creator.  When I finish up, tell it I want to skip the tutorial, be a hero, and enter the game, it hangs for a long time and then boots me to the login screen and says "No mapServer connection.  Try again."  When I try again, it tells me my character has been offline for 5668 days and says 'InvalidPlayerInfo' when I click on him.

Any insights?

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #364 on: July 09, 2015, 07:16:06 AM »
TBH, I'm beginning to wonder if CodeWalker & Co -really- understand what they've done for so many of us with Paragon Chat.  CoH was so much more than a game, and it means so much to so many of us just to get the chat functions back!

I don't have enough words to say thank you properly. :)

They have given us our home back!  ;D

mdyankeejr

• Underling
« Reply #365 on: July 09, 2015, 02:49:58 PM »
Well i guess I am doomed not to get into Paragon Chat, I have a mac and overtime i try to install Island Rum it crashes after about 10 minutes, overtime at a diff spot in the download and install.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #366 on: July 09, 2015, 02:53:45 PM »
Well i guess I am doomed not to get into Paragon Chat, I have a mac and overtime i try to install Island Rum it crashes after about 10 minutes, overtime at a diff spot in the download and install.

Have you tried asking for help over in the official Island Rum thread? Manga seems like a pretty helpful guy. Alas, I know nothing of Mac's, so all I can suggest is dual booting to Windows, which you probably don't want to hear. ;)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #367 on: July 09, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »

Manga replied to your post in the Island Rum thread, you should continue discussing troubleshooting in that thread.  The readers of that thread are far more knowledgeable about Island Rum.  It may take some time to figure out everything that might be going wrong, you have to stick with it.  Often, its not a single thing that's wrong, but a lot of little things that have to be overcome.  Sometimes people think there must be "a" solution to a problem, and the fact that they can't seem to find the magic bullet is discouraging.  Sometimes progress is not obvious.  Because many things could be wrong, and because they cannot actually see what you are seeing, it can take time for troubleshooters to figure out exactly what you need to do to fix things.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #368 on: July 09, 2015, 05:13:49 PM »
CodeWalker, would it be possible for you to explain the emote.cfg file?  I'd like to see if I can get some costumechange emotes working, but when I try adding using the emote names on the wiki, PC won't start saying it can't find the emote file.

I suspect there's a lot more to it than just that cfg file...

SUPERWEASEL

• Underling
« Reply #369 on: July 09, 2015, 05:37:30 PM »
i cant even get tequilla to work keeps pointing to where it was last installed but theres nothing there anyway to forcebily remove and instance of tequilla from being run at all keeps point to that specific folder where coh was last installed and icon

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:48:05 PM by SUPERWEASEL »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #370 on: July 09, 2015, 05:40:29 PM »
CodeWalker, would it be possible for you to explain the emote.cfg file?  I'd like to see if I can get some costumechange emotes working, but when I try adding using the emote names on the wiki, PC won't start saying it can't find the emote file.

I suspect there's a lot more to it than just that cfg file...

That's odd.  I haven't actually tried to do much with that file, but I did check to see if it was actually editable.  I did this:

Emote Godzilla
   Bits EMOTE FEAR
End

And it works.  What specific change are you trying to make?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #371 on: July 09, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
That's odd.  I haven't actually tried to do much with that file, but I did check to see if it was actually editable.  I did this:

Emote Godzilla
   Bits EMOTE FEAR
End

And it works.  What specific change are you trying to make?

Some it understands, others it does not.

For example.

Emote CCTest
 Bits COSTUMECHANGE HOWL
End

Works just fine when I do /e cctest in game. The costume doesn't change (wasn't expecting it to), but the emote plays.

However:

Emote CCTest
 Bits COSTUMECHANGE LIGHTNING
End

Just gives me an error when I try to start PC, as do most of the others.  Backflip works, for example.

I've also tried COSTUMECHANGE_LIGHTNING (as it is on the wiki), but still nada, just errors.  I'm assuming PC is checking that file against an internal list of MOV's it has set up.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #372 on: July 09, 2015, 05:57:32 PM »
Some it understands, others it does not.

For example.

Emote CCTest
 Bits COSTUMECHANGE HOWL
End

Works just fine when I do /e cctest in game. The costume doesn't change (wasn't expecting it to), but the emote plays.

However:

Emote CCTest
End

Just gives me an error when I try to start PC, as do most of the others.  Backflip works, for example.

I've also tried COSTUMECHANGE_LIGHTNING (as it is on the wiki), but still nada, just errors.  I'm assuming PC is checking that file against an internal list of MOV's it has set up.

That's possible.  What Codewalker said (I forget the context at this point, its all blurring into one giant CodewalkerParagonChatBall) was that Paragon Chat doesn't explicitly send sequence bits (awwww) it sends MOVs.  So Paragon Chat itself has to convert bits to MOVs.  Being that I thought he was a genius, I figured he just did a look up against the sequencer data to compute the MOV and dynamically send that, but its possible Codewalker is only a miracle worker and had to hard code the MOVs Paragon Chat supported.

I will do some further investigation tonight, after I get the pc:u namespace stanzas written, assuming Codewalker doesn't beat me to the punch and write a emote.cfg guide.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #373 on: July 09, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
Paragon Chat doesn't explicitly send sequence bits (awwww) it sends MOVs.

Which makes sense if you consider that the mapserver also does not send sequencer bits to the client; it only sends the resulting MOV (technically the index into sequencers.bin that the MOV exists at).

So Paragon Chat itself has to convert bits to MOVs.  Being that I thought he was a genius, I figured he just did a look up against the sequencer data to compute the MOV and dynamically send that, but its possible Codewalker is only a miracle worker and had to hard code the MOVs Paragon Chat supported.

Paragon Chat has an armed and fully operational sequencer. I can't be 100% certain that it obeys all of the same semantics as the clientside one when it comes to edge cases like randomizing between same priority MOVs or when interrupts are checked, but so far it seems to be working close enough.

It's failing to parse because LIGHTNING is not a valid sequencer state bit. Most of the bit names can be found by running a strings utility against bin/seqstatebits.bin from bin.pigg. The rest are hardcoded into CityOfHeroes.exe because they are bits that have special meaning to the engine and can be extracted from there.

You want EMOTE CCCHANGE LIGHTNINGROD ONE

You got lucky on HOWL that there was an existing MOV that happened to match the HOWL bit. The COSTUMECHANGE bit doesn't seem to be used as a sequencer requirement but rather is a special flag for some other purpose. From what I can tell, the sequencer itself asserts COSTUMECHANGE at the right moment during the animation as a signal to the engine that it should swap costumes then.

I'm fairly sure I posted a text dump of sequencers.bin at some point in the Icon forums to help people find and document emotes. It contains a mapping of MOVs to the state bits that are required to trigger them. I'm pretty busy right now but maybe somebody can dig around for it and link it here?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #374 on: July 09, 2015, 06:17:15 PM »
I'll take a look, thanks! That info helps loads. :)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2015, 06:33:06 PM »
It's failing to parse because LIGHTNING is not a valid sequencer state bit.

Okay, I didn't actually check for that one.  Blame FFM, he made me do it.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #376 on: July 09, 2015, 06:34:16 PM »
And the above detailed explanation is why I am voting Codewalker for mayor 2016
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #377 on: July 09, 2015, 06:58:46 PM »
Okay, I didn't actually check for that one.  Blame FFM, he made me do it.

Wasn't me. I'm wearing my halo today. ;)

Also, CW's post worked!  Shame I have to do the actually costume change part manually and time it accordingly.. I'll get the rest of the sequencer bits later and post up a cfg file as soon as I get time.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #378 on: July 10, 2015, 03:23:09 AM »
Stupid questions from an admittedly stupid person:

Under "manifests" I have patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml as ordered, yet I still see eternally: "fetching manifest." If I left that screen up for 20 hours, it would still say the same. Prior to launch, I could at least get into ICON using Tequila, but now not even that. I have both Tequila AND Paragon Chat located in my CoHBeta folder; I do not understand what I'm doing wrong.

Or perhaps I'm just an idiot; this is a distinct possibility, esp. as everyone else seems able to enter with ease. My titan stuff is in order to be able to log in, I am really just clueless here. *chagrin*

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #379 on: July 10, 2015, 03:34:46 AM »
Illusions: add http:// at the beginning. It should read http://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml