Author Topic: Most Played Tank Builds  (Read 25121 times)

RGladden

• Boss
Most Played Tank Builds
« on: June 22, 2015, 03:31:30 AM »
Which secondary/attack set did you use with your favorite build?  Did you stick with DO enhancements or go the IO route?  Which incarnate powers did you favor?  If we get the chance to start over again....which build will you pursue first?

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
Re: Most Played Tank Builds
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 04:26:16 AM »
Electric Armor because nothing feels better than seeing those Malta Sappers cower at your feet. Mwuahaha >:D I combined that with War Mace, because I copied off Thor :P . I went full IO's, which took quite a while to finish, but was worth it. For incarnate powers, I went for the endurance cost reduction for alpha and damage buffs for interface and hybrid. For the destiny slot, I used the Barrier power. If we get to start over, I'd replace War Mace for Super Strength or Electric Melee.

KabaI

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »
You forgot to include my favourite Tanker primary, Shield Defence. Man, I loved the way they implemented that. I probably had at least one of every Shield/*. /Electrical was my main, and I had him pretty soloing just about everything in the game; /Fire was amazing; /Stone was an endurance nightmare, but oh my god the ground shaking; they were all so great.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 02:56:37 PM »
You forgot to include my favourite Tanker primary, Shield Defence. M

Fixed.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 08:13:16 PM »
I was a total, unapologetic Willpower fan-girl.  8)

(I did have one token Shield guy, though... That was Anu, my big, brown mace-wielding minotaur.)
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 12:35:10 AM »
I had a lot fun with my Dark/Ice tanker.

I would have loved to have been able to bring to life my Bio/Ice tanker with sorcery I played on test.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 07:16:13 AM »
I had a Willpower/Mace Tank he was tough as old boots without the smell  :D My main was my scrapper but this guy was brought out if team was having a tough time of things. But most cases I had a couple of friends who had tanks one being an Invul/SS the other Stone/SS and these were both pretty near unstoppable, so my tank was usually played when they weren't around.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 12:29:03 PM »
Wow.  Not a single vote for Granite yet.  Is that because of the movement penalty?  That's one reason I never played it.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 12:55:41 PM »
Wow.  Not a single vote for Granite yet.  Is that because of the movement penalty?  That's one reason I never played it.

Don't forget  the damage penalty too.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »

Found most Granite Tanks took TP as there travel power due to this movement penalty, TP from mob to mob...

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 02:56:36 PM »
Loved my granites, but most of the later ones were brutes, didn't need to be a tank to be indestructible.

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »
Elec Armor is my most played tank and brute. A great mix of offense and defense which really shines with good defense builds (45% s/l or 32.5% m/r/a).

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 11:08:18 PM »
The set was more than granite, though.  I spent over 2000 hours on my stone/em tanker (who will be stone/fire in a reroll, someday...), and stayed out of granite as much as I could.  Wyrm (nods to icon) was hard enough to kill without the tier 9 armor that hid him from view, after I got done with his build.  I only turned it on for AV/GM fights, or if I managed to over-aggro something fierce.

It's kind of semantic that I'm not clicking due to it being labeled "granite," but it's also not.  It frustrated me to no end, to see players never toggle that thing off - even against Psi-using enemies.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 02:22:09 AM »
 I had no most played Tank build. I played many and played them often. I found that I could make any Tank pretty much hard to kill one way or another..

Tanks I made.. All level 50// Always IO'd out builds.. Incarnate Powers chosen varied usually to shore up a weakness, enhance a strength or ability, or chosen for thematic reasons.

Ice/Stone
Inv/Nrg
Fire/Fire
Shield/SS
Shield/Fire
Shield/Ice
Dark/Stone
WP/SS
Electric/SS

All good in their own way...

Hardest to beat IMO...

WP/SS, Inv/Nrg, Ice/Stone..

You could have fought those tanks forever and gotten nowhere..

In fact the WP/SS had an awesome one on one battle with Marauder..

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 04:05:08 AM »
I was a total, unapologetic Willpower fan-girl.  8)

(I did have one token Shield guy, though... That was Anu, my big, brown mace-wielding minotaur.)

When Willpower was released I didn't have eyes for any other defense set. By the end, though, I had started warming up to Super Reflexes.

That said, I loved having a Stone Tanker around. They took a lot of heat off of my dumb scrapper face.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 04:56:38 AM »
I had an entire supergroup of stone tanks.
I call it something like "The Paragon Stoners, what was I saying."
The theme of the SG was the pun stoners.
I paired every secondary with the primary Stone.
My favorite was Stone/Battle Axe for the battle axe, I chose a shovel.
It was fun.

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 08:55:26 AM »
The survey does not include super reflexes, which had become my favorite at the end.  My main was SR/Dark, to add a self-heal to the mix.  Add tough and weave, and your tank was pretty much as unkillable as a stone tank in Granite armor, but without the penalties.

* Metal Mettle
-- Rich

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
Loved my granites, but most of the later ones were brutes, didn't need to be a tank to be indestructible.

It felt like incarnate powers made Granite less important (not useless, just less useful) as melee toons, other sets got more durable. How many granite tanks took a Run speed-improving alpha slot just to boost Swift?
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 09:49:36 AM »
It felt like incarnate powers made Granite less important (not useless, just less useful) as melee toons, other sets got more durable. How many granite tanks took a Run speed-improving alpha slot just to boost Swift?
My stone tanks/brutes did not need to spend their alpha slot on speed.  They went 3x4 on Gift of the Ancients IOs in defense powers.  At 4 GoAs in a power, there is a 7.5% speed boost, for an overall 22.5%.  Of course, my SR tank did the same thing, except 4x4, and he was a speed demon just at the normal walk/run pace.
-- Rich

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »
I'm really surprised no one has voted Fire yet. I remember so many Fire tanks herding maps back in the day. The game changed a lot over time and different sets seemed to be more or less popular as it did. I'm not much of a melee person myself so my opinion probably shouldn't weigh as heavily, but my favorite was Willpower pretty much from as soon as it came out until the end. If I'm honest, I think it was because Willpower was easier for me to play and not suck at.