Author Topic: Coming Soon  (Read 210096 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: Coming Soon
« Reply #300 on: June 25, 2015, 09:02:38 AM »
I did ask when/if it would be smart to advertise. And I'd need someone better at iSoon(tm)con than me to plan enemy NPC spawn points, NPC contacts and how to warp everyone from map to building to map. I tried switching map points in Icon and kept getting stuck in Hospitals...

Reroll your blaster as a scrapper?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #301 on: June 25, 2015, 12:05:45 PM »
There are things being muttered about where I can hear them that tell me you are all going to be very happy with Soontm.  It's not a game yet, but there will be game aspects that are going to cause people to dive in and not come out for hours and hours.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #302 on: June 25, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
I'm hoping we can get some of the old player-run radio stations to come back and do live shows from inside the new chat system.

I also recall a supergroup that had their base set up as a suburban down-town, (Hero Heights? It's been so long, I don't remember) and ran events from it. Bases might not be in, but there's lots of areas in Paragon one could use as a backdrop for community events; plays, dances, readings, storytelling, discussions, contests, and so on.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #303 on: June 25, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »
I love this concept, while it is just a start, I think it will ease tensions from some of the players so the team can try and get our home back and not causing Ncsoft any stress.
Question will the i24 beta client be available to dl? Sorry if this was asked before.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #304 on: June 25, 2015, 07:27:07 PM »
The official answer is that the Paragon Chat team and the Titan Network cannot condone the download of a copy of the i24 client (which I think would be a breach of the CoX EULA), but that if you have a legal copy, you're good to go.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #305 on: June 25, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
The official answer is that the Paragon Chat team and the Titan Network cannot condone the download of a copy of the i24 client (which I think would be a breach of the CoX EULA), but that if you have a legal copy, you're good to go.

However, if you don't have the client, then with a little thought and consideration, you'll soon work out how to get this Iconic game, and be able to reward yourself with a nice glass of Tequila! ;)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #306 on: June 25, 2015, 08:31:10 PM »

Correct, and the Titan Network does not endorse third party methods of distributing it, either.

We are however open to members of the public who may post whatever they please so long as it doesn't violate the rules against harassment, etc. We don't review posts for content. If we are alerted that people are posting links to infringing material, we will happily remove said posts.

Heliphyneau

• Underling
« Reply #307 on: June 25, 2015, 11:19:28 PM »
Just wanted to say:  This.  Is.  Awesome.   8)  Much wow.  Very chat.

Thank you for doing this!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #308 on: June 26, 2015, 03:34:52 AM »
Correct, and the Titan Network does not endorse third party methods of distributing it, either.

We are however open to members of the public who may post whatever they please so long as it doesn't violate the rules against harassment, etc. We don't review posts for content. If we are alerted that people are posting links to infringing material, we will happily remove said posts.

I'd just like to point out that NCSoft's stated punishment for violating the EULA was removing your access to the game.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Prism Almidu

• Lieutenant
« Reply #309 on: June 26, 2015, 03:41:45 AM »
I'd just like to point out that NCSoft's stated punishment for violating the EULA was removing your accessible to the game.

*gasp* Oh no!

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #310 on: June 26, 2015, 03:47:59 AM »
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #311 on: June 26, 2015, 03:58:06 AM »
I'd just like to point out that NCSoft's stated punishment for violating the EULA was removing your access to the game.

And revoking your license to use the software, including the game client.  Legally enforceable in every country that honors software usage licenses, at least in theory.  Logistically impossible to really enforce, except on a very specific case by case basis.  You'd have to make yourself a target worth the time and expense for them to do that.

Ever get the feeling of deja vu?  I often feel like I had just experienced the deja vu I'm feeling, but I can't remember precisely when I felt it before.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #312 on: June 26, 2015, 04:06:22 AM »
And revoking your license to use the software, including the game client.  Legally enforceable in every country that honors software usage licenses, at least in theory.  Logistically impossible to really enforce, except on a very specific case by case basis.  You'd have to make yourself a target worth the time and expense for them to do that.

And here's the irony of that statement.  If you are worth the time and expense, because you are, say, a highly visible celebrity, or someone who has gotten the immediate aid of the EFF, you become less of a target because of the vast and immediately spreading negative publicity, which paradoxically renders the amount of time and expense you'd have to go to in order to suppress the negative publicity exponentially greater than it was before you started.

I'm not saying NCSoft isn't stupid enough to do just that.  But if you want to see the one single thing that would result in a shareholder's revolt and the entire Board of Directors being replaced, that just might be it.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #313 on: June 27, 2015, 01:33:34 AM »
I said before, "I put my faith in SCoRE."  I see that faith was well placed.

This is magnificent.  Thank you to all involved!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #314 on: June 27, 2015, 07:02:06 PM »
codewalker, speaking of paragon chat and the ski chalet, do you still need a multi-user timer system with a database writer to handle ski slope scores?

I remember you can ski in Icon but the gates don't work and no timer. I can make an exterior timer-serv and databases are fun, just need to know what info to store/send.

what do you think? the gates would be the only thing needing the client's geometry and motions and could be done in the Time/score serv but.. it would take time to match the motions correctly in said serv (unless you have some numbers to work with?) and take time to position the gate sensors but it's nothing like mission content or battle, I suspect it'd be relatively easy to enable. what say you?
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

BitLoadR

• Lieutenant
  • <F6> <F6> <F6> ...
« Reply #315 on: June 27, 2015, 07:40:28 PM »
playing on Reunion as Star Jewel, Emberflair, Lumitia, Novaspark, Dawnshade, Mystfure, Ion Blaze, Heatstrike, more...

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #316 on: June 27, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »
codewalker, speaking of paragon chat and the ski chalet, do you still need a multi-user timer system with a database writer to handle ski slope scores?

The ski slopes are just position markers, the checks for getting to each marker and the timer is handed on the mapserver side. It could be handled by Paragon Chat and the scores put on the persistent room settings, but there's really no way to avoid cheating at the time. And it's not really worth CW programming time to bother with that. That sounds like a thing to do as a plugin once a system for them is available.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #317 on: June 27, 2015, 09:19:17 PM »
The ski slopes are just position markers, the checks for getting to each marker and the timer is handed on the mapserver side. It could be handled by Paragon Chat and the scores put on the persistent room settings, but there's really no way to avoid cheating at the time. And it's not really worth CW programming time to bother with that. That sounds like a thing to do as a plugin once a system for them is available.

can paragon chat route info to another program on the main chat server's machine and then route outcomes back to chat clients?

if so I can do the timer and gate collisions if I have exact positions of the gates. the movements could be routed from paragon chat's main server to the program at which point I can make the player's cubes static and set to goto the map locations it's sent from paragon chat's server, not needing map geometry at all. it would be a stand alone system just meant to start a timer do gate collisions and stop the timer record the score (in whatever file format you want in a folder paragon chat's server can read it from).

it really wouldn't be complex at all.

I could even make more gates at random locations in the line meant to check for 'tp' cheating.

all Paragon chat has to do is send player locations to the program should the player be in Pocket D, and read outcomes such as Next Gate updates or scores from files or messages (as you need) then route outcomes to players.

I'm offering to do the work on the timer and gates to be ready for November/December.

I will need a unique message that defines when a player is on the pocket D map coupled with a location, that will be the player spawn trigger.

after that it's a cake walk to follow location and update the time to paragon chat via list message [playeridentity, [Time Mins, Time Secs, Time MS], current/next gate identity] or however you want/need the message.

I realize it may not be possible to route info through the chat server like this but, let me know if it is.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:25:24 PM by Joshex »

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #318 on: June 27, 2015, 10:07:08 PM »
can paragon chat route info to another program on the main chat server's machine and then route outcomes back to chat clients?

That's what Leandro means (I assume) by "plugins."  If you are thinking about actually writing real code, time to start doing real homework.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #319 on: June 27, 2015, 11:35:40 PM »
That's what Leandro means (I assume) by "plugins."  If you are thinking about actually writing real code, time to start doing real homework.

yeah I knew that I just saw the term "plug-in" to mean a script of a defined format compatible and listable with-in the chat software itself, also known as something that can be downloaded from the software distributor.

so I was confirming that he meant any program could work so long as it's set to communicate with it.