Author Topic: Coming Soon  (Read 210019 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: Coming Soon
« Reply #240 on: June 24, 2015, 01:23:38 AM »
I'm sure Arcana is now looking at that update message and thinking about how easy it would be to write a bot that pretends to be a player. :)

I thought about that before you posted the message.  I'm currently thinking about how much effort would be required to write a bot that pretends to be a combat engine.

Consider an XMPP zone with a limited number of players.  Now write a bot that spawns an NPC.  Modify the client so that clients are capable of sending "I activated power X" messages.  Have the bot receive that message, and send to all players in the zone a command that causes the caster to play the appropriate animation, then spawns the correct VFX and sound FX, then reduces the health bar of the NPC target by an appropriately calculated amount after the correct delay.  If it reaches zero, execute the dead animation, then timer out a despawn.

Sounds laggy as all hell, but hypothetically speaking with the right architectural support you could create a combat engine that *is* a player, just one with admin rights to send the right commands to all other player clients in the connected zone.  I don't know if your current architecture would fully support this; I might need to make some feature requests.

Gun-Nut

• Underling
    • Ninja's Fate
« Reply #241 on: June 24, 2015, 01:49:52 AM »
Remade and saved my main's costume for this! Can't wait! :D

How could I forget about the save costume feature! Now I need to boot up the game and get a few ready to go :)
aka DarkSynopsis

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #242 on: June 24, 2015, 02:10:48 AM »
I wonder if we'll be able to use the npc costume bits in the Soon server. Since Soon is separate from Icon, there's no guarantee we'll have access to those bits.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #243 on: June 24, 2015, 02:33:50 AM »
I wonder if we'll be able to use the npc costume bits in the Soon server. Since Soon is separate from Icon, there's no guarantee we'll have access to those bits.

Correct (there's no guarantee).  What matters is what Codewalker has managed to put support into for his translation layer.  Just because it exists in Icon, doesn't mean it will exist in City of SoonJabberXMPP.  But its likely that except for features that would be problematic for all players to possess without restriction, anything we can do in Icon is probably something that Codewalker will try to get in there eventually.

What's problematic?  Well, compelling another entity to play an emote when that entity is another player is likely problematic.  Unrestricted switching of zones could be problematic.  Unlimited spawning of other entities could be problematic.  I get hints that they are concerned about creating a relatively safe environment for players to interact in.  Some of the things you can do in Icon are not safe when other players are about.

Spawning yourself into HasntBeenAnnouncedYet as Rularuu doesn't seem particularly dangerous (dibs) but it might be a feature Codewalker set aside to get actual player costumes working first.

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2015, 02:36:40 AM »
I'm wondering this: can you make it so that all those slash commands are clickable in the power or inspiration trays?

Thanks,

Wolfsoul

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2015, 02:44:36 AM »
I'm wondering this: can you make it so that all those slash commands are clickable in the power or inspiration trays?

That one probably has to wait for the FAQ.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #246 on: June 24, 2015, 02:52:31 AM »
How could I forget about the save costume feature! Now I need to boot up the game and get a few ready to go :)

Made a new costume for my main already to.  But then, my main will have a different take and origin than before.  Much more artificial with a hyper-advanced twist.

Edit: I ponder just how many possibilities this will later unlock though.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #247 on: June 24, 2015, 03:43:55 AM »

I get hints that they are concerned about creating a relatively safe environment for players to interact in.  Some of the things you can do in Icon are not safe when other players are about.

Well now I'm intrigued ... what in ICON would not be safe for other players?... or do you just mean things like my "City of Hitler" racist-torture-sex-extravaganza project (man, nobody wants to let me do that)

Now that you've got me thinking about it... you mentioned that those geysers in the ski area are NPC's -- it would be awesome to plant a few of those randomly around on maps in ways people wouldn't notice them until they stepped in them ... AAAAAHHHH!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:52:48 AM by Ohioknight »
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #248 on: June 24, 2015, 04:25:59 AM »
See, now I want the name of the place to be Jabboonx. It fits, kinda (Jabber + Soon + XMPP).

Really I just like saying 'jabboonx' out loud.

jabboonx jabboonx jabboonx

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2015, 04:44:57 AM »
See, now I want the name of the place to be Super Fire Dragon's Fun House of Chat. It fits.
Really I just like saying "Super Fire Dragon's Fun House of Chat" out loud.

Super Fire Dragon's Fun House of Chat

I agree.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #250 on: June 24, 2015, 05:15:31 AM »
Well now I'm intrigued ... what in ICON would not be safe for other players?... or do you just mean things like my "City of Hitler" racist-torture-sex-extravaganza project (man, nobody wants to let me do that)

Spawning stuff makes griefing easy due to collision detection. You could surround somebody with a bunch of big immovable NPCs and box them in. Or block off a heavily trafficked area. Or just fill the zone with so much crap that it lags everybody out.

Changing yourself to look like an NPC is potentially an issue as some of the things you can turn into are huge and fill the screen. Imagine if a group of 5 or 6 people all turned into hamidon and gathered around the atlas plaza. Or Pocket D.

That's why neither of those will be available at launch. /benpc may be something we take a whitelist approach on. As for spawning NPCs, that's something we have some tentative plans for a way to handle that will be covered in one of the upcoming announcements. The one I'm thinking of we'll probably see sometime Wednesday or Thursday.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #251 on: June 24, 2015, 06:13:15 AM »
Personally, I think the safest way forward would be to just disable any commands we didn't have access to in the live game, except maybe the ability to teleport to another map (because even though we're all nice people, griefers gonna happen).

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #252 on: June 24, 2015, 06:49:19 AM »
Changing yourself to look like an NPC is potentially an issue as some of the things you can turn into are huge and fill the screen. Imagine if a group of 5 or 6 people all turned into hamidon and gathered around the atlas plaza. Or Pocket D.

Hamidon itself is somewhat problematic because of the goo, but the goo is not subject to collision (he also normally can't move, although as an entity in this system that's not relevant).  Seed of Hamidon, on the other hand, would be down right bananas.  I benpc-ed myself into the Seed on the beta server before shutdown, and the sheer size of the thing is so unwieldy its practically self-griefing.

I did scare the crap out of a few players though, so there's that.  When a devouring earth with its own zip code starts following you around, you tend to notice.

spindisc

• Minion
    • Random Dice - CoH
« Reply #253 on: June 24, 2015, 07:08:44 AM »
I thought about that before you posted the message.  I'm currently thinking about how much effort would be required to write a bot that pretends to be a combat engine.

I was having the same thought. Also, I guess you could sniff the communication stream localy and have applications (similar to the old Herostats) working in the background.

In fact, if a simulated AI is CPU heavy for the server we could write the same logic into a local application to handle that and then just have an "adventure" server check if the required application is present on the local machine to allow players in. The local machine could then be responsible for all the AI for a supergroup entering an "instanced" area or an "instanced" version of a zone. And even have a load-balancing feature to hand over bots between each other.

Then with a defined command set and a good scripting tool we could create missions with dialog, spawn points, zone changes, etc. and have that published to a common repository. In the server/local app you could then just browse for a mission to run.

Would this be possible?

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #254 on: June 24, 2015, 08:06:41 AM »
When a devouring earth with its own zip code starts following you around, you tend to notice.

"excuse me, little hero. Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior?"

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #255 on: June 24, 2015, 08:17:37 AM »
"excuse me, little hero. Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior?"

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #256 on: June 24, 2015, 08:38:05 AM »
Wait, Arcana. That sounds like Jedi mindtricking to have us play a MUD rpg with CoH avatars. Eh, stop gap?

Sheldor: Use ax.
Troll: You miss!
Sheldor: Throw ax.
Troll: I don't know that command.
Sheldor: Toss ax.
Troll: Thank you for the ax.
Troll: Use ax
Sheldor: Son of a ...

I keed! But with those scripts flying around it sounds best if we did apply a "points" system to start. I want a power = x points from your total. Or maybe just ONE or two attacks each (single target and aoe).

But yuck then .... um.. recharge timers? Endurance? Range? Defense/accuracy? Any secondary effects?

How long would writing that take?!

This would how ever be frick'n awesome to run Mutants and Mastermind games with this character creator and ACTUAL premade maps! (imagine the GM being real size Hamidon or Rularuu shouting "IGNORE ME")

Would it be bad if I advertised for this in the Tabletop RPG page of Facebook? Aka: Looking for GM to create a campaign with Paragon City Maps for Mutants and Masterminds/Icon/BASH!/etc play.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:01:24 AM by Rejolt »
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2015, 10:33:10 AM »

Consider an XMPP zone with a limited number of players.  Now write a bot that spawns an NPC.  Modify the client so that clients are capable of sending "I activated power X" messages.  Have the bot receive that message, and send to all players in the zone a command that causes the caster to play the appropriate animation, then spawns the correct VFX and sound FX, then reduces the health bar of the NPC target by an appropriately calculated amount after the correct delay.  If it reaches zero, execute the dead animation, then timer out a despawn.
That would mostly depend on how much of the client-server communications protocol is supported by the client side of SOON.
While developing the actual server would still not be easy, with SOON handling the communications it would be easier than otherwise.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »
Spawning stuff makes griefing easy due to collision detection. You could surround somebody with a bunch of big immovable NPCs and box them in. Or block off a heavily trafficked area. Or just fill the zone with so much crap that it lags everybody out.

I am ashamed that I am not clever/twisted enough to have thought of those -- now I want to go into ICON and play with populating giant NPC's into Pocket D  ;D
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Draeth Darkstar

• Underling
« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »
I can't even begin to say how awesome this is. I'm so excited to see something outside the realm of conspiracy theories about emulation, even if this project isn't aimed to become a full-scale server emulator.

Please let me know if you have use for someone with an education in game engineering and current experience in PHP web development. My legitimate compiled language skills might be a little rusty, but working in a C-based language every day, it shouldn't be too bad to get back into the good stuff.

In a totally unrelated matter: with all of this chatter about using CoXMPP as a vehicle for virtual tabletop gaming, have you given any thought to including dice rolling commands? AIM does this with a pretty simple format, it's something like //roll-dice-#-sides-# (ex //roll-dice-5-sides-10 for 5 10 sided dice), which would cover the overwhelming majority of dice-based gaming needs. Alternatively, dice notation common to P&P would be less verbose for traffic concerns, ex /roll 5d10 for the same logic.