Author Topic: Supergirl TV Series  (Read 88638 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Supergirl TV Series
« on: May 14, 2015, 05:22:30 AM »
Yes, I know it's the same team that's behind Arrow and The Flash (going to be on CBS and not CW) but it looks ... not great.

I sure hope it's just how this promo is cut.  There are some very cute/funny moments in there but some of it is just ... cringe worthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm46-envrHo

Edit: After a second viewing I know what I really don't like about it.  The soundtrack in the promo.  Please please please please not have this drivel in the series unless a radio is on in the background.  This isn't ABC Family.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:57:31 AM by Aggelakis »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

ricodah

• Boss
Re: Supergirl - First Look
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 05:29:35 AM »
Wasn't expecting much so I'm pleasantly surprised.  I like the airplane scene.  I'm glad they made Kara look wholesome instead of the tramp version from Smallville. 

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:10:09 AM »
Looks ok, depends on how it gains momentum throughout the series, if I remember correctly Arrow didn't start of great, but got better with time.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 08:27:26 AM »
I'm excited. I might actually watch this instead of petering out like Arrow and going weeks between binge viewing with the Flash. ^_^ Girls rock!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 12:36:02 PM »
Could they have picked a worse Jimmy Olsen?
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 01:37:39 PM »
The preview looked great!  I would like to see a hero show that's not all miserable and angsty all the time.  I also hope that the major network brings the major network SFx budget with it.

Not jazzed that everyone seems to get to know her secret ID in the pilot, but that's the creative team's modus operandi. ;)

What's wrong with Jimmy Olsen?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
Well found out more about the series.

Kara's adopted sister works for that secret alien defense agency which is a reason for being upset that Kara "came out".

Also hope there isn't a love triangle between her, Jimmy Olsen and Rick (not Dick) Malverne.

Oh and they are pulling a "The Flash" with stunt casting.  I think this is mentioned elsewhere back during development but her adopted parents are played by Dean Cain and Helen Slater.

Edit: Oh I think the complaint is making Jimmy into a big hunky guy from his previous unremarkably looking cub photographer.  Looking like that, Jimmy would have no problem attracting the ladies.

Edit:  Here is a fan edit of the first look without all the annoying rom-com aspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3dkwFObqSM
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:05:52 PM by FatherXmas »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 04:27:30 PM »
FatherXmas nailed it.  Big, black, and - it pains me to make the observation - kinda sexy is pretty much the complete antithesis to Jimmy Olsen.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »
That's why he's "James" Olsen.  :P

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »
FatherXmas nailed it.  Big, black, and - it pains me to make the observation - kinda sexy is pretty much the complete antithesis to Jimmy Olsen.

Race doesn't matter.  Hunkiness matters.  It's "James" Olsen, eyecandy for the ladies that's a departure.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 07:18:55 PM »
Race doesn't matter.  Hunkiness matters.  It's "James" Olsen, eyecandy for the ladies that's a departure.

I'm afraid I disagree that race doesn't matter.  It carries with it an aesthetic, and aesthetics are a major part of comic book characters.  That's not to say I couldn't get behind a black Jimmy Olsen if he were smaller and perhaps a little doofy, but it's part of the equation - possibly the smallest part in the scheme of things - that's putting me off the character.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 12:43:37 AM »
I loved the teaser because

Bright colors
Humor
Real super powers

I thought that Flash might just be a fluke because everything DC related seems to be required to be dark and gritty and as "real" as possible.  But it looks like their tv shows at least are getting the idea it's ok for comic books to be translated to the screen as comic books.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 06:39:59 AM »
I loved the teaser because

Bright colors
Humor
Real super powers

I thought that Flash might just be a fluke because everything DC related seems to be required to be dark and gritty and as "real" as possible.  But it looks like their tv shows at least are getting the idea it's ok for comic books to be translated to the screen as comic books.

Then check out my other thread.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10862.msg180592.html#msg180592

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »
I can't help but think that this focus on Jimmy being wrong in a Supergirl series is not seeing the forest for the trees.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 04:48:04 PM »
I think your focus on the focus is missing the forest for the trees.  If that's the biggest problem cynical eyes see, they're doing something right.  Although I will admit to having a moment of Smallville concerns in the beginning, too - I was thinking it was going to be all teen drama and skimp on the comic book superheroing.  But then there was costume, humour, and super action.  So tall, dark, and Olsen is all I get complain about... for now.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 05:23:13 PM »
If that's the biggest problem cynical eyes see, they're doing something right. 

Don't worry, it wasn't.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 01:59:54 AM »
I'm afraid I disagree that race doesn't matter.  It carries with it an aesthetic, and aesthetics are a major part of comic book characters.  That's not to say I couldn't get behind a black Jimmy Olsen if he were smaller and perhaps a little doofy, but it's part of the equation - possibly the smallest part in the scheme of things - that's putting me off the character.

Yep, I have no problem with James being black either.  But if they are going to stay even partially true to the characters he should be a Steve Urkel, not a Dwayne Johnson.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:53:03 AM by Teikiatsu »
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 04:58:20 AM »
Steve Urkel
Awright.

(yes, yes, I know)

(Steve Urkel grew up nice)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 06:01:45 AM »
He did, but judging from his role on Psych he still does hapless doof pretty well, just not so much with the nasal stringbean supernerd antics.

I also think he'd make a good ferengi...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 09:01:33 AM »
Too tall for a Ferengi...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal