Author Topic: My story and passion for City of Heroes  (Read 2178 times)

Movez

• Underling
  • Hello! :D
My story and passion for City of Heroes
« on: June 20, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »
Hey guys, new here! :) Just want to tell my story and passion for the game before I make any other kind of posts on this forum. I grew up playing this game, started around 2005 when it came out in Europe. I was 11 years back then. The game made a huge impact on my life for several reasons:
- This was my huge next leap into gaming. I was a console gamer before CoH came around, and I played on very old consoles such as SNES and PS1. I didn't know what MMO was back then, so CoH was my first. When my cousin showed this game to me for the first time, my jaw literally dropped. The simple fact that I could make my own hero however I chose him to be like blew my mind. The fact that I could run/jump around the city and fight crime and save citizens or fly across the city or skies was my biggest dream, or actually any childs dream I believe.
- I learned english very fast thanks to this game, which made it so much easier for me to watch movies, write/talk to people in english and of course get a much better grade at school.
- I made some really good friends in the game. The game had such a wonderful and passionate community. and still has it. Everyone was friendly, everyone was helpful and, last but not least, everyone had FUN! Everyone had fun playing this game together. This game truly felt like a paradise for me, especially when I was sick and stayed home :').

I played this game non-stop until 2009/2010 where I kind of slowed down a bit mostly due to real life small issues. I still played the game from time to time until 2012, a couple of months before they announced the shutdown. The summer had kicked in, life was good and I had nothing to do but sit down and play my favorite game of all time. I invited cousins and friends to play the game with me and man did we have super fun playing it. 2 months in and we still play it. Then in a mission a guy from our team told us that the game was going to shutdown. For a moment there I got a little scaret but then thought he was trolling. ''Why would NCSoft shutdown the game, it's not that the game is doing badly, it's just that the game is not as popular as before which still isn't a reason to shutdown a game, right?'' I thought. I then asked him for proof, and the guy in our team told me to check out CoH official site and I did it...
That was one of the worst moments I've had in my life. I was angry and saddeneded at the same time and felt like someone dear to me had just died. They literally announced the death date of City of Heroes. I was in shock and instantly stopped playing the game and told the Company(NCSoft) to literally go and *Bleep!* themselves. NCSoft actually failed to understand that City of Heroes isn't just a goddamn game to the fans, it was our home, our childhood, our memories..

I wish I played the last months the game had left of its life. But what can I say, emotions were heatin' up those days. So now I'm here wanting the game back more than ever. I'd give anything to play that game again with literally everyone(Titan Icon doesn't count). I hope that it will make it easier for me wait for the rerelease of the game if I talk to some other CoH fans.

Thanks for reading and sorry if you saw any flaw in my grammar(english is not my mother language, I'm european:P). And also sorry for the long post, needed to speak out.
There was a time when the heroes of Paragon City fought against various of criminals. All of the criminals protected one thing that saved their lives at the end, the New Criminal Software(NCSoft). When the heroes finally got the NCSoft, they thought they saved the world. But little did they know that this was the criminals plan from the beginning, to create something so deadly that once a hero touches it, all heroes gets deleted. R.I.P CoH/CoV April 27 2004-Novemeber 30 2012. Miss ya <3

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
Re: My story and passion for City of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:36:33 PM »
yezz....Bottom line it's always profit...
although CoH was still making money, I suppose it's never enough for big companies like NCsoft.
They want gadzillions.

I've boycotted their games ever since and do not promote any NCsoft games in the retail shop I work at.
It's their attitude that annoys us the most.
Microsoft, (much bigger than NCsoft ) even let several of their old MMO games be run on private servers of the Fans
after they stopped supporting the game...ex: Crimson Skies.
They weren't vindictive and hoarded the game so no one could play anymore.
They just moved onto other things.

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 04:27:07 PM »
Movez, much of what you describe is my experience as well.  The friendliness and helpfulness of players, the sense of community, the ability to craft characters as I wanted them to look and be -- it was all such an advance over any other game I had played.  I live in the USA, so it did not help my English.  It was really great that it could help you in that way, though!

When I heard about the shutdown, I did not believe it at first either.  Once I realized it to be true, then I just wanted it to come back somehow, someway.  It did not occur to me to quit.  Instead, I played to the very last minute.  Then my rage/disappointment/hurt was channeled into my character memorial site
-- Rich

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
I live in the USA, so it did not help my English. 

Yeah nothing helps our English.

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 06:42:23 PM »
Yeah nothing helps our English.
Hit it, Tommy!
-- Rich

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 02:48:27 AM »
Some Americans think that the Brits speak better English than we.
Perhaps they haven't heard cockney.
Not to mention the glottal stop.
No offense.