Author Topic: Avengers: Age of Ultron (spoilers)  (Read 17240 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron (spoilers)
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2015, 05:00:37 PM »
So anyone follow the Twitter drama that Joss Whedon was hit with? TONS of hate, death threats, all kinds of horribleness because of the movie that lead to him quitting Twitter altogether.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Some people were apparently super upset that Quicksilver was killed off so soon, but for the most part it was a result of Widow. People taking the seeing herself as a monster because of how she was trained (which including her being sterilized) as any infertile woman being a monster.

I certainly did not see the scene like that, and was curious if anyone else felt like that at all when they saw it.

I didn't and I saw the movie a 2nd time paying close attention to what was being said in that scene.  The whole back lash is someone misremembered the wording in the scene and the echo chamber of social media turning it into a fact when that's not was was said.  Even people who remembered it correctly are starting to doubt themselves because everyone can't be wrong, so they start to believe it was them who misheard it. 

Unless they release the clip now people will say the wording was changed for the disc release when you wave it in front of their noses.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2015, 10:39:12 AM »
Bruce said he can't have kids - I'm guessing the gamma radiation...
No idea how close the movies are to the UU, but one issue had Banner and Stark talk about the fomer's DNA.
How he wasn't even close to human most of the time and should he ever have children they'd be lucky to just get born with gills and flippers.
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
The last scene before the stinger was Captain America talking to new Avenger trainees, and he says "Alright, Avengers-" and gets cut off. I expected a second stinger where he finishes the catch phrase with an "Assemble".

I'm predicting that's the first word/scene we're going to hear/see at the beginning of Civil War.  It's going to pick up right where AoU left off.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2015, 08:40:59 PM »
Just got back from seeing this.  The only thing that bothered me was that Ultron was far too congenial.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2015, 11:03:55 PM »
I saw the movie yesterday. I'm happy to say that AoS didn't really spoil anything in the movie, except...

Spoiler for Hidden:
Theta Protocol being the Helicarrier. So, yes. Fury did indirectly reference Son of Coul and friends.

I thoroughly enjoyed the short quips and one liners tossed about in the movie. My favorites being...

Spoiler for Hidden:

Pietro Maximoff: [speeding off with Wanda] Keep up, old man!

Clint Barton: [drawing his bow] No one will have to know. I could do it, you know. 'Where's the kid?' Oh, last I saw him, Ultron was sitting on him. Shame, really. Miss the little bastard already."

[jogs after them]

And...

Spoiler for Hidden:
Clint Barton: The city is flying and we're fighting an army of robots. And I have a bow and arrow. Nothing makes sense.

And...

Spoiler for Hidden:

Tony Stark: [Entering a room full of Hydra soldiers] Guys, lets talk about this...

[Shoots all the Hydra men non-fatally with tiny guided missiles]

Tony Stark: Good talk.

Background voice: No, it wasn't!

Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2015, 11:33:58 PM »
I saw the movie yesterday. I'm happy to say that AoS didn't really spoil anything in the movie, except...

Spoiler for Hidden:
Theta Protocol being the Helicarrier. So, yes. Fury did indirectly reference Son of Coul and friends.

I thoroughly enjoyed the short quips and one liners tossed about in the movie. My favorites being...

Spoiler for Hidden:

Pietro Maximoff: [speeding off with Wanda] Keep up, old man!

Clint Barton: [drawing his bow] No one will have to know. I could do it, you know. 'Where's the kid?' Oh, last I saw him, Ultron was sitting on him. Shame, really. Miss the little bastard already."

[jogs after them]

And...

Spoiler for Hidden:
Clint Barton: The city is flying and we're fighting an army of robots. And I have a bow and arrow. Nothing makes sense.

And...

Spoiler for Hidden:

Tony Stark: [Entering a room full of Hydra soldiers] Guys, lets talk about this...

[Shoots all the Hydra men non-fatally with tiny guided missiles]

Tony Stark: Good talk.

Background voice: No, it wasn't!

I thought all the Cap bad language scenes were good.

The one issue I take with this is that in the comics Cap WAS able to lift Thor's hammer.
This is how Thor knew he was really Steve Rogers when he was not Captain America anymore, but the Captain.

Of course for the movie, Cap is more like the Ultimate version so he is not the same.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2015, 12:00:22 AM »
Of course for the movie, Cap is more like the Ultimate version so he is not the same.
Most emphatically, not like the Ultimate version. 

Cap in the comics and the movies is best of America.  He's brave, heroic, compassionate, honest.  The Ultimate version is more like USAgent than Cap.  He's jingoistic, nationalistic and a brute.

That Cap can't lift the hammer was there to set up the gag later on when Vision could, not a reflection on worthiness.  Rest assured, movie Cap will lift the hammer if the plot needs it or it would make an awesome moment at some point in the future.  Perhaps in the Infinity Wars movies.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2015, 12:25:17 AM »
Most emphatically, not like the Ultimate version. 

Cap in the comics and the movies is best of America.  He's brave, heroic, compassionate, honest.  The Ultimate version is more like USAgent than Cap.  He's jingoistic, nationalistic and a brute.

That Cap can't lift the hammer was there to set up the gag later on when Vision could, not a reflection on worthiness.  Rest assured, movie Cap will lift the hammer if the plot needs it or it would make an awesome moment at some point in the future.  Perhaps in the Infinity Wars movies.

I was thinking Ultimate Cap in the sense that this movie Cap used guns in the War and also in the first Avengers film. The regular Cap never really used a gun as far as I can recall.

Well the set up for the Vision to lift the hammer was a great moment. Also set up the scene where Quicksilver tried to grab the hammer and went flying along with it.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2015, 01:29:00 AM »
Also set up the scene where Quicksilver tried to grab the hammer and went flying along with it.
The entire theater I was in erupted into laughter when that happened. It was a great geek-bonding moment.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2015, 04:38:53 AM »
the movies, are, in truth, a blending of elements of both Ultimates and 616. (and also some things wholly new)

and it has routinely been said that the Captain America movies are better Superman movies than Man of Steel. because yeah cap is basically channeling the golden age captain america/superman of being so altruistic it hurts. And it works because it's there as a counter to other elements in the films.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2015, 04:40:13 AM »
The entire theater I was in erupted into laughter when that happened. It was a great geek-bonding moment.
I wish I could say the same, small town iowa, so its less geek bonding and more like "listen for who else in the theater really got the joke"
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2015, 04:44:30 AM »
When I saw it today, there were only two people other than me and my two friends in the theatre.  I love it when that happens.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2015, 05:59:37 AM »
I saw it the week after it opened, during a weekday matinee. There were surely no more than a dozen people present, other than my family of 3. The only time I can recall hearing anyone say anything or react vocally in any way was my wife:

Spoiler for Hidden:
When Quicksilver was shot saving Hawkeye and then collapsed, she said out loud, into the sudden silence, "Oh no."

I was split between being embarrassed and annoyed, then decided it was exactly the right emotion/response called for at that moment.  8)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2015, 06:44:15 AM »
I heard someone make blubbery sniffle noises when Quicksilver kicked it. I was too busy holding my breath to make any noise.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2015, 07:14:08 PM »
I had no attachment to the character.  I was kinda expecting Hawkeye to die, given that they had primed his death so well to be a drama bomb.  They showed him to be the most fragile at the start, they made out that he brought the human element to the team, they made a big deal out of his wife and kids AND that she was pregnant AND that he just had to come home in one piece...  And then Quicksilver had to make out that he was maybe getting too old for this stuff.  The only way they could have set Hawkeye up any more perfectly to die would've been to put him in a red shirt.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2015, 10:43:17 PM »
I had no attachment to the character.  I was kinda expecting Hawkeye to die, given that they had primed his death so well to be a drama bomb.  They showed him to be the most fragile at the start, they made out that he brought the human element to the team, they made a big deal out of his wife and kids AND that she was pregnant AND that he just had to come home in one piece...  And then Quicksilver had to make out that he was maybe getting too old for this stuff.  The only way they could have set Hawkeye up any more perfectly to die would've been to put him in a red shirt.
Me, too. That's why I was holding my breath! Fully expected Quicksilver to get there a fraction of a second too late, and thus set up some serious "too slow!?" drama for him later.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2015, 01:56:49 PM »

That's Joss Whedon for you. I've gotten to the point with his works where I knew it was far too obvious that Hawkeye was being set up, I just didnt know who it was going to be.

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2015, 05:19:58 PM »
I'm in the small camp of people who was disappointed.  The plot was too chaotic and the main villain was sub par: too comical to be taken seriously and not human enough to care about either way. 

Spoiler for Hidden:
The main threat being that the villain was a computer virus that killed Jarvus..er no he didn't, and a world where a hacker can launch ICBMs was ridiculous.  Then the plot went upside down and added a magic device that turned a city into a death bomb Gundam style. 

All of it seemed too...I can't even think of a word to describe it, I think this will be the last Marvel movie I see for a while.

Much like Man of Steel was the last DC movie, and I love Superman and used to love DC.  DC turned Superman into a poor man's uninspiring Batman.  The movie jumped the shark...nuked the fridge for me at the diner scene.  Supes stands up to jerks, that's his thing: but instead he passively aggressively destroyed the jerks livelihood and power wires becoming a jerk himself.  The writers or DC leads...or someone in charge just don't get their own character.  They've lost touch. 

Maybe it's the culture losing touch with what could be.  Maybe the culture has stopped wanting to be hopeful and be better, and we're content with dreaming about heroes and action. 

Everyone making fun of Cap for talking about Language I was fine and amused with, but Cap, agreeing that he was wrong: NO! 

Cap and Sups are the same in that they inspire that we can be better.  All superheroes can do that and the Dark Knight did that in spades (Batman style).  A superman movie that is dark and bleak just misses the point.  I'd rather have a superman that is completely ridiculous where sups can fly the world back in time to save the day or magically reconstruct the great wall than let a city or two die. 

Why is it so difficult to write a story where a man saves the day?

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2015, 09:28:40 PM »
We'll probably never know for certain, but I think at least some of your complaints would have been addressed by the hour and ten minutes of material left in the editing room. Joss Whedon is a great story teller, but he also has a tendency to be very verbose, and I think in this case, that tendency came back and bit him in the ass when everyone around him (rightly) told him that people didn't want to sit through a three and a half hour movie in theaters.

Ultron was decidedly not nearly as charismatic as Loki or psychotic as Ronin or wacky as Justin Hammer, but I wouldn't dismiss him out of hand. I can follow the logic that he was built to protect the earth, and with his super-human intellect came to the conclusion that humans are a menace to themselves first and formost. It went off the rails for me when it stopped being that and turned into daddy issues.

As to Cap and Supes... it's not that we as fans don't want them any more... far from it in fact, if you listen to the myriad of arguments and complaints people still have about "Man of Steel" two years later. The problem is that the suits at Marvel and at DC are hyper-focused on a very small portion of the fan base; the fans of the 90's anti-heroes. To those folks, no one can simply be a hero to be a hero (see allstar superman) but must instead have some twisted psychological reason for doing what they do. And they crow and cry loudly that "Superman is Boring!"

Spoiler for Hidden:
Then go fucking read the punisher or spawn and leave my book alone!

For whatever reason knownst only to the suits, they chose to listen to this sector of the fanbase above all others, which is why we got the "now everyone is a grim and gritty batman" nu52, and a superman who is an emo whiney wrist cutter with daddy issues, and a captain america who is at odds not just with his timeline, but with pretty much everyone else in his universe. the new younger less grim and gritty batgirl and last year's big hero six seem to finally be signally a change in this idea, but progress is glacially slow in moving away from the pouches-and-steroids era thought process.
-Lex Luthor

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2015, 02:45:54 AM »
Man of Steel has to rank as one of the worst comic book movies ever made just because of how spectacularly they failed to get the character.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com