Author Topic: Avengers: Age of Ultron (spoilers)  (Read 17243 times)

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
Avengers: Age of Ultron (spoilers)
« on: April 25, 2015, 04:51:10 PM »
We got both GotG and Big Hero 6 several weeks after the US release, but for some reason germany got AoU a week early.
And just back from the cinema, I can tell you to go and watch it as soon as you can. The movie's awesome... and Ultron is really a great villain.
Hawkeye, Widow and Hulk got fleshed out, which I liked and the Maximoff twins were adapted quite well.

But Whedon did it again. Why on Cthulhu's green earth does he feel the need to kill off beloved characters?
Tara
Wash
Coulson
Spoiler for Hidden:
You sure wanna do that?
Spoiler for Hidden:
Quicksilver (and again a witch blows up as the result)
:'(

Oh well, it's a comic book world so maybe that character will get better.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:52:56 PM by Aggelakis »
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 06:27:53 PM »
Well Coulson isn't dead but that maybe doesn't count - unless they had already planned to bring him back for the TV series.

I just got to see a sneak of this film and it is great.

Everyone got something cool to do, and you can see the seeds of the Cap 3: Civil War building up in this - as well as the next Avengers film.

All in all Marvel has done a great job with their films.

Its just too bad it takes so long to wait for the next ones.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 07:17:13 PM »
Its just too bad it takes so long to wait for the next ones.

Fortunately though we have all the various Marvel TV series to keep adding depth to the universe in between movies.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 03:12:40 AM »
An online list of local screen times for Avengers: Age of Ultron shows screenings at several theaters at 12:01 a.m. Thursday. So, on Wednesday afternoon, I drove to the nearby Cinemark theater and asked at the ticket counter, are you showing A:AoU tonight?

The young female behind the cash register looked at me quizzically and replied, no, it starts tomorrow... the first showing is at 7 with several more including midnight. I remarked about how the midnight screening tomorrow is really 12:01 a.m. Friday, not Thursday.

It was a Dr. Sheldon Cooper moment for me, and, no, I did not win that argument. At least, I did not convince the theater to screen the movie for me tonight at midnight. I guess they weren't overly concerned about potential consequences for false advertising.

Oh, well. I'll just have to wait until tomorrow like everyone else.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 03:57:24 AM »
I'm disappointed that theaters lowered the bar for early screenings from midnight to 7pm.  It sets the bar higher to distinguish true believers.  But when there's money to be made ...
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 04:11:08 AM »
Okay, back from seeing it.

It's full of quips.  Maybe too many quips.  I could almost imagine a laugh track, but it was live.

Felt a little rush at times but you all heard how long the first cut was.

I enjoyed it.  Plenty of action ... between all the quips.

No real tie in back to AoS, unless THAT was Theta Protocol.  Or that other thing.

Sorely missing Pepper.

Vision's cool but I'm not sure if he did any density shifting.  I think I need to see it again.

The theater I went to had five or six screens out of sixteen devoted to it.  I saw it in 2D.

For previews besides Ant-Man and Tomorrowland the only other one I remembered was Vin Diesel - Witch Hunter.  EDIT: Oops, forgot Insidious 3.  For once a horror trailer made me jump.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 12:54:53 PM »
I clearly remember the Mad Max trailer... and it looked just so over the top that I can't wait for the movie.
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 01:05:51 PM »
Okay, back from seeing it.

Vision's cool but I'm not sure if he did any density shifting.  I think I need to see it again.

I saw it a few days ago - in the big fight at the end you see Vision phasing his arm through the robots once or twice. Its subtle and they really don't call attention to it but its there.

I think they did a good job with him. Of course a lot simpler then his real origin - being the body of the original Human Torch - which of course later had to be fiddled with since the Torch was found buried and deactivated under the ground quite a ling time ago. And of course having the brain patterns of Wonder Man - who was also not dead after all.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
I saw it a few days ago - in the big fight at the end you see Vision phasing his arm through the robots once or twice. Its subtle and they really don't call attention to it but its there.

I think they did a good job with him. Of course a lot simpler then his real origin - being the body of the original Human Torch - which of course later had to be fiddled with since the Torch was found buried and deactivated under the ground quite a ling time ago. And of course having the brain patterns of Wonder Man - who was also not dead after all.

I'm sure that Wonder Man has his fans, but I long ago came to the decision that it would have been better if Simon Williams had remained dead in order to make Vision more unique.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 08:51:19 PM »
I'm sure that Wonder Man has his fans, but I long ago came to the decision that it would have been better if Simon Williams had remained dead in order to make Vision more unique.

Well for many. many years the joke was the only people who died in comics and who actually stayed dead was Bucky Barnes and Uncle Ben.
Of course we found out later Bucky didn't die, but they didn't know that when they did those zillion stories in the 70's and 80's with Bucky's ghost, reanimated corpse, etc.

I guess that leaves poor Ben all by himself.

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 09:56:25 PM »
Well for many. many years the joke was the only people who died in comics and who actually stayed dead was Bucky Barnes and Uncle Ben.
Of course we found out later Bucky didn't die, but they didn't know that when they did those zillion stories in the 70's and 80's with Bucky's ghost, reanimated corpse, etc.

I guess that leaves poor Ben all by himself.

Uncle Ben has been brought back before, I believe as a clone. There was always some DC character that was included in the "Bucky Clause" as well, I do not remember who, but from what I have heard all 3 were brought back within about a year.

I absolutely loved the movie. My only real complaint is that AoS made a lot of effort to set up the movie, and the movie ignored the show 100%. A casual passing reference would have been fine, a guest appearance of Coulson would have been amazing.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Or, you know, if on the helecarrier that Nick Fury found somewhere unexplained the entire AoS team was there helping pull people in, maybe firing a shot or two at the Ultrons flying in. 20...30 seconds of screen time maybe? And where the heck was that helecarrier the entire time?

Getting to see Tony and Bruce working together a lot in this movie, the friendship they have formed, that was cool.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Or, you know, if on the helecarrier that Nick Fury found somewhere unexplained the entire AoS team was there helping pull people in, maybe firing a shot or two at the Ultrons flying in. 20...30 seconds of screen time maybe? And where the heck was that helecarrier the entire time?

Spoiler for Hidden:
Fury did mention that he revived the old helicarrier with help from a couple of friends.  He didn't specifically say who.  I'm wondering if that will tie in to Agents of Shield this week.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 10:56:32 PM »
Got back from watching it a few hours ago. Spoiler free review: It was awesome.

Spoiler filled commentary on the film:
Spoiler for Hidden:
Favorite quips through the whole movie were the constant jabs to each other about "language" following Captain America's line in the beginning of the movie. Best running gag I've seen in quite a while.

Favorite scene though was when Stark hit Hulk in the face, and Hulk spit out a tooth and glares at Stark, and Stark immediately, with an "oh $&@*" look on his face goes "I'm sorry...". I nearly lost it at that... ;D

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 01:53:20 AM »
Got back from watching it a few hours ago. Spoiler free review: It was awesome.

Spoiler filled commentary on the film:
Spoiler for Hidden:
Favorite quips through the whole movie were the constant jabs to each other about "language" following Captain America's line in the beginning of the movie. Best running gag I've seen in quite a while.

Favorite scene though was when Stark hit Hulk in the face, and Hulk spit out a tooth and glares at Stark, and Stark immediately, with an "oh $&@*" look on his face goes "I'm sorry...". I nearly lost it at that... ;D

That bit was great. I must say Spader was excellent as Ultron.

You can see the set up for Civil War somewhat in this one. The division on what to do with Vision saw the sides that people will choose I'm sure.
I doubt the Secret Identity law will be used as A) they don't have THAT many heroes yet to make a big threat and B) who in the MU films actually has a Secret ID? Everyone knows Stark is IM, Rogers is Cap. Thor doesn't have one. No one really wears a mask. Heck in Cap:WS Black Widow opened up all the Shield files to the public.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 01:41:08 PM »
That bit was great. I must say Spader was excellent as Ultron.

You can see the set up for Civil War somewhat in this one. The division on what to do with Vision saw the sides that people will choose I'm sure.
I doubt the Secret Identity law will be used as A) they don't have THAT many heroes yet to make a big threat and B) who in the MU films actually has a Secret ID? Everyone knows Stark is IM, Rogers is Cap. Thor doesn't have one. No one really wears a mask. Heck in Cap:WS Black Widow opened up all the Shield files to the public.

As I understood it, the secret identities was only part of the issue in the Civil War storyline. The other part was forced registration of all active super heroes under threat of imprisonment unless they choose option 3 which was to just retire from crime fighting, which most didn't want to do.

The mandatory registration itself was such a big issue in fact, that there were even jabs from the Mutants about it, and how they didn't want to get involved because no one tried to help them when the same kind of registration laws were being passed for mutant registration.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron (spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 01:02:13 AM »
Good movie, a bit..bloated (the hulkbuster fight could have used cutting, but I know the pay off for it will be Thanos swatting the thing like a fly)

Spoiler for Hidden:
Quicksilver dying made me cry manly tears, it instantly made me think of of Cyrus Thompon.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:51:45 AM by ryuplaneswalker »

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 02:52:05 AM »
Err... I suggest you remove the slash from your first spoiler tag to fix it... Don't want someone blundering into a thread that's marked as having "spoilers", that actually is filled with spoilers, and have them seeing those spoilers, then having them get mad because things were spoiled........

Ow, my brain... :o :P

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 03:52:12 AM »
It was my third post about the Movie on three different forums :P I was spoiled out.

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 03:02:04 PM »

Actually I can absolutely see it. In the comics Tony and Steve were public knowledge anyway during Civil War, and while yes, the sheer numbers will probably never match up, there are a decent number of heroes that will be around by the time that is out.

We have the Netflix shows setting up several, Spiderman and Black Panther will be joining up for Civil War, Ant-Man will have been released, and Agents of Shield has been setting up Inhumans. Combine that with the side characters of Falcon and War Machine, the new characters from this movie, and the old cast and you have a decent selection. Plus they have already mentioned Doctor Strange in the last Captain America movie, it wouldnt be that far out of nowhere to see more set up for him since his movie will be out later that same year.

Good grief. I never thought I'd be able to have a conversation about some of these characters getting movies. It's a good time to be a geek.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 03:32:26 PM »
Actually I can absolutely see it. In the comics Tony and Steve were public knowledge anyway during Civil War, and while yes, the sheer numbers will probably never match up, there are a decent number of heroes that will be around by the time that is out.

We have the Netflix shows setting up several, Spiderman and Black Panther will be joining up for Civil War, Ant-Man will have been released, and Agents of Shield has been setting up Inhumans. Combine that with the side characters of Falcon and War Machine, the new characters from this movie, and the old cast and you have a decent selection. Plus they have already mentioned Doctor Strange in the last Captain America movie, it wouldnt be that far out of nowhere to see more set up for him since his movie will be out later that same year.

Good grief. I never thought I'd be able to have a conversation about some of these characters getting movies. It's a good time to be a geek.

Sounds good. If they can throw them all in. Honestly it would be better off as a stand alone film than a Captain America film if it will have all those people in it.

Then the next Cap film could be the Death of Captain America.