Author Topic: Emergency! (TV series)  (Read 2443 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Emergency! (TV series)
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:38:26 PM »
I'm re-watching Emergency! on MeTV, and it's still as enjoyable as when it was first run. But I've noticed something that I don't think occurred to me before. Roy DeSoto has a bad habit of asking people if they want to do something that he needs done: "You want to hold that for me?" "You want to get the drug box?" "You want to elevate the patient's feet?" "You want to see if the ambulance is here yet?" It's good that it's only an occasional annoyance.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: Emergency! (TV series)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 02:21:49 AM »
I love MeTv. Especially for Svengoolie.

Reminds me of my misspent youth watching monster movies on a UHF station before I ever had cable.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 04:07:57 AM »
I'm re-watching Emergency! on MeTV, and it's still as enjoyable as when it was first run. But I've noticed something that I don't think occurred to me before. Roy DeSoto has a bad habit of asking people if they want to do something that he needs done: "You want to hold that for me?" "You want to get the drug box?" "You want to elevate the patient's feet?" "You want to see if the ambulance is here yet?" It's good that it's only an occasional annoyance.

You want to quote that for me.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 02:59:01 PM »

I believe it's a writer's tool to explain procedure and inform the viewer what the cast are doing.  If Roy simply walked out of the scene with no explanation to the viewer what he was doing, that may puzzle viewers.  It also prevents him from doing something unwanted so it's delivered as a question rather than a statement "I'll get the drug box."

It was a similar writing style to Adam 12 which Emergency! spun off of.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »
Emergency was my favorite series ever - I bought all the season DVDs.

Ever wonder where all this acronym craziness started - it started with Dixie's "TLC" treatment. :)

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 02:00:24 AM »
I believe it's a writer's tool to explain procedure and inform the viewer what the cast are doing.  If Roy simply walked out of the scene with no explanation to the viewer what he was doing, that may puzzle viewers.  It also prevents him from doing something unwanted so it's delivered as a question rather than a statement "I'll get the drug box."

It was a similar writing style to Adam 12 which Emergency! spun off of.

I mean as opposed to his wording the requests as, "Get the drug box for me, will you?" or "Elevate the patient's feet, please." He asks if the person he's speaking to WANTS to do it, which I find to be an annoying speaking habit.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 04:01:18 PM »
It was a landmark show. At the time most cities didn't have Paramedics. It helped to popularize the idea and keep communities discussing it. When you see those guys fighting for the ability to administer certain treatments, those were based on actual issues being debated in cities across the states. At least in the early seasons.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 01:38:52 PM »
I live in the area where MeTV broadcasts as an over the air TV channel.  It amuses me that it is now a nation-wide specialty cable channel.