Author Topic: For you Lightsaber Fans - The Black Lotus  (Read 8414 times)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
For you Lightsaber Fans - The Black Lotus
« on: April 12, 2015, 05:42:57 PM »
I just saw this appear on the Custom Saber Owners Facebook group, and I was blown away.  This saber was specially created by the owner of SaberForge to take to Celebration VII next weekend, but the level of awe and appreciation from other members has been through the roof, so he will likely make it a production model very soon.  He also came up with a new blade color for it which they did not offer before, but will now be added to the palette of available colors on regular orders.  It is Indigo, which looks like a purple that skews heavier towards the blue. 

Anyway, enjoy the picture!

What was no more, is now reborn!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: For you Lightsaber Fans - The Black Lotus
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 09:40:58 PM »
But does it add 3 mana of any type to your mana pool?

sorry had to make that joke, surprised no one had yet.

still looks cool, though the guard isn't really functional as if a light-saber touched it, it would be cut off.

seen the new starwars 7 trailers yet?
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:39:51 PM »
But does it add 3 mana of any type to your mana pool?
Only for Darth Urza  ;).

I'll admit, it took me second to get that joke. I'm slow today.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 11:58:17 PM »
SW: TFA trailer #2 is fantastic!

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:50:31 PM »

still looks cool, though the guard isn't really functional as if a light-saber touched it, it would be cut off.

The cross guard doesn't need to be functional, does it? Why can't it just be decoration? An expression of the personality of the wielder? Designed just to be menacing and intimidating looking? Have you seen half of the designs of fantasy Swords out there? They're often just as bad.

Put a ridiculous cross guard on a fantasy sword, and no one bats an eye. Put a cross guard on a Lightsaber, and everyone loses their minds.

((Posting from my iPad, too lazy to make the meme for that....))

In all seriousness though, the cross guards on most bladed weapons are usually just as much, if not more, to protect your hands from sliding down your own blade, as they are to be used defensively against attackers. Particularly since in medieval combat you'd be wearing thick leather gloves that may slip on the grip of your weapon when performing certain attacks, especially if you get any sort of mud or blood on your hands in a fight. This can be even worse for the less privileged soldiers who may not have had the luxury of gloves, and didn't want to risk slicing their own fingers off on accident when stabbing someone in the chest.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:24:05 PM »
Ok, what do you think of these?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »
The crossguard could be made out of refined cortosis.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »
Compared to the pictures that have come from CVII of the prop saber used by Kylo Ren, these two cross-guard sabers are a work of art! 

I am sure there is a story behind why Ren's saber looks the way it does, and I look forward to seeing unfold in the movie.  But, I don't think anybody will be lining up to own that saber, except maybe as part of a collection which would be made complete by it. 

I own a few sabers (including the silver one at the top of the three pictures), and I would not mind getting either of these cross-guard models when they are released.