Author Topic: Battle of the Map Zones #1  (Read 5682 times)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
Battle of the Map Zones #1
« on: April 09, 2015, 10:36:07 AM »
Atlas Park vs Galaxy City
Go!

I've never voted on my own posts before. But I want to on this one. I remember when Galaxy was an option after the original starter zone. I always went there. So underrated.
GO!

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
Re: Battle of the Map Zones #1
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 10:48:18 AM »
Go!

I've never voted on my own posts before. But I want to on this one. I remember when Galaxy was an option after the original starter zone. I always went there. So underrated.
GO!

Atlas everytime, only because it was the first zone I entered, if I'd chosen Galaxy when starting the game it would be a different choice.

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 02:28:09 PM »
Back in the day when you chose between them, I actually liked the Galaxy starter mishes more than AP.

However, after I'd been through it eleventy-million times (give or take a million) I never did mishes through the first few levels anyway.  Just sewers or street hunting until I was high enough to do KR paper mishes and Hollows.  For that I found it made a lot more sense to go to AP.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »
for starting a character I played GC. it was so blissfully quiet you could street sweep and only see a couple other players.

Back then I would create a new character on Saturday mornings (not every Saturday) and play it for an hour or two and then hit Hollows to find a group working Frostfire arc.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 03:32:19 PM »
I think my choice is pretty obvious to anyone who follows my work. Atlas Park.
There was always just something about it I loved. The awesome statue of Atlas was likely a large part of that, Heh.

I always loved that Galaxy City was a also a choice though, and that it felt like a very different kind of place to start than Atlas Park did.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 01:31:41 AM »
I preferred Galaxy over Atlas, but would go with whichever one seemed to fit better at the time.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 11:48:15 AM »
I always Preferred Atlas, but I did really miss being able to go to Galaxy after it got destroyed.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »
Go!

GO!
I have almost always made a character in Atlas, the only time I made a character in Galaxy was because I wanted to be sure I made one in all 3/4 starting zones.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
The very first time I played the game I didn't know the difference between Galaxy City and Atlas Park.  Since I knew nothing of the zones I used the only thing I had to go by: the name.  From a personal standpoint I like "space stuff" more than "mythological stuff".  I originally picked Galaxy City. 

But, because Galaxy city was my first zone it  became special to me.  I'm just nostalgic like that.  After I learned that Atlas Park was the hangout zone of choice I felt like I picked wrong, but I didn't care.  I felt like the less dense Galaxy City was more my home.  I learned the streets there first when everything was new to me.  Galaxy became familar to me when the rest of the city and the game were largely unknown.  (I even felt like the hollows was more of a home to me that even Atlas because of all the time I spent there at first)  I went so far as: for the majority of my play time with my first character I ran back to Galaxy, to the magic origin office in order to log off (character was a magic origin).  Galaxy was his home and Galaxy was my home zone. 

Although when creating characters I alternated starting zones.  So my second character ever (and my name sake) started in Altas, but because it wasn't my first and it didn't have all those initial memories, it didn't feel like home.

When I heard that Galaxy City was to be destroyed I made a decision.  All my current heroes would be signed off in Galaxy, all standing guard at the city center before that fateful day.  And that's where I left all but my main.  They had guarded their home until the end.  And only my main was strong enough to survive the destruction of Galaxy City (my only incarnate that progressed past the alpha slot).  All those characters stayed in Galaxy (and not logged into) until the very last day of the game.  I logged into every one of them (that I could..I was stuck in "free play") to take screen shots and so I could see them one last time.  I even took my first (and first main) and logged him off for the last time...still in Galaxy City on Back Alley Brawlers training pedestal.  He was (as far as I'm concerned), the last trainer of the zone and he stayed at his post even after the freedom phalanx had retreated. 

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 08:49:25 PM »
They each hold a special place in my heart.  AP has so much more activity.  And of course the iconic AP theme song.  But I had a lot of great memories running around with my lowbies in Galaxy as well.  That's another great zone.  I love them both

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 09:45:40 PM »
Early on I liked Galaxy, but eventually I stopped going. Atlas was more lively, cooler (with City Hall), and overall just more fun. I got to the point where I could navigate better around AP than I could my home town even without the map, I knew the streets, the little parks, the buildings, everything. Other zones I knew parts of like that, but AP was the only zone I knew the entirety of that well.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 02:52:28 AM »
My friend, who introduced me to City of Heroes, always picked Galaxy City.  He even wanted there to be lore in the game about the statue of Galxy Girl similar to the Atlas Globe.

So, I usually picked Atlas Park.
AP seems like home.
Why did they kick me out of my home?

Brighellac

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 03:06:13 AM »
Atlas park ... So convenient ... AE next to WW

ParagonLurker

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 03:12:55 AM »
AP seems like home.
Why did they kick me out of my home?

One word, soap.
Remember, it's only words.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 04:49:52 PM »
I chose Atlas 90% of the time, but picked Galaxy when I wanted "hard mode". The Vazh arcs at the lowbie levels were very difficult but really fun. The overall story was better. That and BaBs...
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Corlagon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 10:22:08 PM »
I preferred Galaxy City's atmosphere. The fact that Galaxy had Freedom Corps HQ while Atlas merely had city hall may or may not have been a factor.

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 11:31:30 PM »
Atlas Park, I just chose AP when I first started the game and almost never chose Galaxy. I guess if I had, Galazy might have been my favorite. Another reason is the giant Atlas statue and City Hall, which looked so cool.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 03:10:34 AM »
Besides going against my friend, AP seemed to have it all, for a low-level zone.
Galaxy City didn't have access to the Hollows, (unless I'm mistaken), AP had the Vanguard, which gave you another trainer, a tailor, stores and a crafting table.
Besides, would you rather look at Ms. Liberty or Back Alley Brawler while being trained up to the next level.