Author Topic: Battle of the Powersets #5  (Read 3514 times)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
Battle of the Powersets #5
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:15:36 AM »
Empathy vs Pain Domination
Go!

ricodah

• Boss
Re: Battle of the Powersets #5
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:49:55 AM »
Empathy while leveling; Pain Domination at 50+.  Once players start getting Incarnates, specifically Rebirth/Ageless, Regeneration/Recovery Auras become pretty superfluous.  While World of Pain/Anguishing Cry are always pretty awesome.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 03:02:12 AM »
as I have never would never play an emp.. im out of this one  ;D

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 07:21:40 AM »
As I didn't ever play Pain Domination I couldn't comment on if it is better or worse than Empathy, but guessing it had it's good points and bad. So I'd have to say Empathy for this one as I did have a Empathy Defender, which I find could be very successful at it's job of keeping people a live.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:38:44 PM »
Empathy while leveling; Pain Domination at 50+.  Once players start getting Incarnates, specifically Rebirth/Ageless, Regeneration/Recovery Auras become pretty superfluous.  While World of Pain/Anguishing Cry are always pretty awesome.

Pretty much this but I think it's at the IO stage.

CoX was never a particularly dangerous game (outside of Hami raids) so the extra healing an Emp could bring is not as needed once players start getting the IOs set up on their chars. Defense and recharge are easy pieces of IO fruit and many (most) take these in the sets they build.
While this doesn't negate the skills of the Emp, it leaves them being not quite as needed as they are prior to IOs. Emps best end game skill is the endurance pbaoe, IMO, which is still awesome at that stage.

On the other hand, PD get to hand out three things that are more difficult to build into IOs resistance, damage and -resistance. Add this to their Heal/Regen aura and they bring a lot to a team without having to micromanage as much.   
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 05:13:50 PM »
Maybe it's just been too long, but I actually cannot remember teaming up with a pain dom that was higher than early 30s after Going Rogue came out and we could have Empaths villain side. Like, even in raids. Maybe I am wrong, but it just isnt coming to mind, so I've been writing off the powerset for a long time, maybe I should look at it again on Mids.

I played an Empath defender designed to heal and heal well, and I loved it. I never played Pain Dom high enough to really comment on that side, but I can say that I had a purpled out Empath with focus on +healing and +recharge, and I could keep a raid healed when everyone was in range and have a blast doing it. People never complained about my buffs, and I even remember room being made for me on a couple Trials.

I think this may be true for some, but not all of these battle of the powersets, but it really comes down to if the player knows the set, knows what they are doing. Put one of the guys that I was almost always teamed up with in CoH on my healer designed to heal stupid amounts and he would still let team wipes happen, put him on a set he was comfortable with and he was fantastic.

Edit: Loading up Mids, I would say the biggest difference is that Defenders cant get Pain Dom, so PD only exists as a secondary set. For anyone wanting to play a dedicated healer this is a pretty big difference, Empathy on a secondary is considerably weaker than Empathy as a primary. I'm going to play with some builds and see what I can find as far as stats as secondary sets though, how well it would serve my playstyle on healers.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 08:21:26 PM »
Edit: Loading up Mids, I would say the biggest difference is that Defenders cant get Pain Dom, so PD only exists as a secondary set. For anyone wanting to play a dedicated healer this is a pretty big difference, Empathy on a secondary is considerably weaker than Empathy as a primary. I'm going to play with some builds and see what I can find as far as stats as secondary sets though, how well it would serve my playstyle on healers.

This is what I recall as a big difference between the two. I didn't really play the sets, but my wife did. I'm more prone to go for utility over straight heals in most games when I can. My preference is to rather have dark or something than pain as a secondary set.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 04:16:24 AM »
I played an Empath defender designed to heal and heal well, and I loved it. I never played Pain Dom high enough to really comment on that side, but I can say that I had a purpled out Empath with focus on +healing and +recharge, and I could keep a raid healed when everyone was in range and have a blast doing it. People never complained about my buffs, and I even remember room being made for me on a couple Trials.

Empathy is by far a much stronger healing set than Pain Domination.  The only powers that were about equal, healing wise, was Adrenalin Boost and Painbringer (AB provided a resistance to status effects; PB provided a damage buff but the reg/rec was the same).  One thing I forgot to mention was Empathy's Fortitude.  Great power, with a good amount of recharge, probably up every 14 seconds.  Can easily keep a full team perma fort but pretty much only team members.  PD can perma World of Pain teammates, raid mates, their pet Shivans, Heavies, every Tom, Dick or Harry; Peter, Paul and Mary within a 35' radius, including the castor.  Only a small 12% dam buff but coupled with Anguishing Cry's 22% dam resist debuff made the combo pretty decent.